A Lunch in Limsa Lominsa [Open] [OOC Welcome]

((Since it's been a while since we had one of these, I figured why not change the setting from the Quicksand to elsewhere?))

((This is open to anyone who would be IC in/around Limsa currently. Just casual, free-form enjoyment stuff.))

((But really, open to anyone, no need to ask to post. If you're IC in Limsa, or even just visiting, pick a table or grab a chair and join in!))

--

It was around mid-day, just before the first afternoon bell would ring. With his few belongings locked up in the Mizzenmast inn, Franz shut the book he was reading and began to walk through the city, on his way to the Bismark. There had been enough peaceful days to yield a happy mood, and as he approached a host at the Bismark, he decided on something friendly to do for a change.

"Excuse me Miss. I would like a table, and to pre-pay for the food and drink of the the surrounding tables. If any other patrons make their way here today and don't mind some socializing, please allow me to pay for some conversation."

With a light bow and a graceful motion, he was led to a group of tables and the corresponding servers were informed. He wondered if any townspeople would join, or if anyone from Coral Sea would either. He had sent a letter just prior, inviting them as well.

"I would like to thank you all for the hospitality that has been shown. If you are available today, please join me for some food and drinks at the Bismark. I will be talking to the staff about prepaying for everything.

-Franz"

Leaving the Bismarck from a very early lunch with a new woman Ridley had arranged for him to meet, he starts to walk to The Wench to take an airship ride back to Ul'Dah.

Dressed richly in a dark red suit, he walks across the bridges of Upper Limsa, clicking his heels with hands in his pockets just enjoying the mid-day sun and salt-sea air. Walking down into the Wench, his mind isn't really in anything going on and his focus is on the lift attendant so he can fly back. That is until he spots Franz. With a shrug he puts off his plans and walks over to him, not waiting for an acknowledgment as he takes a seat at the table, crossing a leg and folding his hands in his lap.

"Good evening Franz, what brings you here?" he asks wondering what the man is doing in Limsa over his usual haunting of Ul'Dah.

Jancis headed back to the Still Shore after an unusual training session. Being greeted by the Coral regulars, most of them lalafells, she was brought to the attention of the note.

Linkshells went off, communications spread about the free food and the generosity. Some named him as Franz, some might have said "Hero of what?"

"The Hero of Ul'dah is treating us to supper. Pray make your way to Limsa if you can."

Via ferry Jancis and some regulars made their way to the Wench. While the lalafels went to one of the tables off by the wall, the conjurer continued towards the table with Franz and Otto.

She looked a tad frazzled, her hair clearly wind-blown and clothes wrinkled as if they had been in the water. Streaks of dried dirt smudged the half robe and leggings. A wand hung off of her small pocketbelt.

"Master Franz, Master Vann," she greeted, bowing her head with a big smile. "I, ah, received your summons. Is very generous of you. Dare say it has been some time since having supper here; they do make a hearty fish chowder. Has the Inn been restful?"

Taking a seat adjacent to Otto, she looked anxiously at Franz for his answer.

Sigurd happened to be in the area, finishing up some paperwork for trades in the area. He'd been drowning in paperwork ever since he got his license to trade in Limsa, drowning in tariffs, tax forms, and documentation. He needed a break.

A trip to the Bismark was hardly unusual for him. It was one of few places in Limsa that cooked something other than fish. He heard a few familiar voices as he trudged up the walkway, several books tucked under his arm. Drawn in by the notion of spending time with something other than paperwork for the day, he pushed his glasses up his nose and approached the table. "Hey, hope I'm not interrupting---" well he interrupted himself when he saw how soaked Jancis was. "Bloody hells, did someone toss you into the ocean?"

It wasn't much sooner that he had sat down that he was greeted by a familiar face. It could be noted he was in a different, but still red attire than his usual tabbard and sollerets. With a slightly open red cloth shirt, pants and leather thighboots, it was a much less armored appearance that he felt made a more casual look. It was certainly more comfortable than some of the clamped-down gear he was used to wearing so often. And lighter.

"Otto, a good day to you as well. I'm... well, I suppose it's easiest to say I've moved to a new city." Franz smiled a bit in answering the question. "To celebrate a fresh start, I've prepaid for anyone that visits this place for the evening, and invited some of the people that have shown me kindness recently." 

As the conversation continued, they were greeted by Jancis. Upon her arrival, Franz turned.

"Miss Jancis! A pleasure as always. I wanted to repay some kindness for the room, it's been very comfortable in these times. I trust the letter I had sent was delivered?"

Looking at the conjurer, he noticed she was a little more messy than usual. "Is everything all right, by the way? Trouble with a...erm....waterway?"

He nodded to Sigurd. "Please, join us. Order anything you'd like. That goes for everyone."

"Miss Jancis! A pleasure as always. I wanted to repay some kindness for the room, it's been very comfortable in these times. I trust the letter I had sent was delivered?"

Looking at the conjurer, Franz noticed she was a little more messy than usual. "Is everything all right, by the way? Trouble with a...erm....waterway?"

"Hey, hope I'm not interrupting---" Sigurd interrupted himself when he saw how soaked Jancis was. "Bloody hells, did someone toss you into the ocean?"

Jancis gave Sigurd an odd look at first, overwhelmed by his concern for her well-being. "Is truly that bad? I am mostly dry, pray not be upset." she said in a comforting voice. She couldn't help but laugh awkwardly at Franz's guess of her activity. It was strangely fitting, considering how they had met. 

"No, no not this time. I was, ah, cleaning a house for Sir Vashyr and made it more of a, ah, training session. Yes, quite the challenge. I have certainly worked up an appetite."

"But yes, Coral's house and the linkshells have been alerted to your generosity." she answered Franz in opposite order, combing her bangs absently to straighten them out. "If Lady Meli failed to hear about a get together she would truly be hurt. Or she might truly hurt someone. Dare say it can go either way."

The other Coralites were certainly taking advantage of the hospitality of the Wench, ordering drinks, pints even for lalafell hands, and tasty sweets at the far table. The was a bit of a bustle in joyous conversation.

"I am heartened that you enjoy the room. It has been empty for many moons so it being of use is as much of a help to me." Jancis continued in a wistful tone, her eyes soft on the highlander. "Has been paid through for the rest of the Turn, another couple moons, so it is yours if you so wish to stay longer. I mind not. But surely you must have new plans at this time? Or at least, you have something you suggest to eat here."

"Upset?" he laughed lightly at the thought. "More hoping you knew how to swim if someone had tossed you into the ocean." Her description of the events certainly was amusing at the very least. Sigurd had never been one to turn cleaning into a training session, but it was more of a loathsome chore that needed to be done. Sweeping was terrible out near Highbridge. It was impossible to get the dust and dirt off the floor. It just kept blowing in the tradepost every time someone opened the door.

He took one of the chairs, dropping his stack of books on his lap as he settled in. "I appreciate it," he said to Franz. "I really haven't gotten much time to spend with any of you. Research and trading, particularly here, tends to keep me pretty busy."

Silently regards the gathering group of Coral-ites. He notices Sigurd walk up and join the group, pays attention and immediately notices Jancis' appearance - refraining from commenting on her mired appeared. She would have a good enough reason for coming like this. He can imagine she might be injured again though always putting on her strong facade to alleviate worries (and also because shes a stone-cold killer he secretly thinks).

"Sigurd, Jancis. A pleasure as always."

Regarding Franz, and his words of buying the tavern for the evening he can't help but wonder how the man affords it, though choose to ask "You've moved? Is Limsa your new home now? You know what this means right? Shirts...and their removal."

"But yes, Coral's house and the linkshells have been alerted to your generosity." she answered Franz in opposite order, combing her bangs absently to straighten them out. "If Lady Meli failed to hear about a get together she would truly be hurt. Or she might truly hurt someone. Dare say it can go either way."

"I am heartened that you enjoy the room. It has been empty for many moons so it being of use is as much of a help to me." Jancis continued in a wistful tone, her eyes soft on the highlander. "Has been paid through for the rest of the Turn, another couple moons, so it is yours if you so wish to stay longer. I mind not. But surely you must have new plans at this time? Or at least, you have something you suggest to eat here."

Franz simply leaned back in his chair a little, not nearly as rigid as he had started. I'm not actually very familiar with La Noscean dishes.

"It was partly the reason I decided to do such a thing. See what the local people would order." He glanced around a few of the tables, as if taking a mental note of what was "normal" cuisine.

He took one of the chairs, dropping his stack of books on his lap as he settled in. "I appreciate it," he said to Franz. "I really haven't gotten much time to spend with any of you. Research and trading, particularly here, tends to keep me pretty busy."

Franz nodded a bit. He was well-aware of what extended research could do to someone. "I would imagine so. But then, isn't a break also nice? At least to let your eyes wander off a page?" There was a certain curiosity for the research as well. "But what is it that you are researching? Perhaps I could be of use some time."

Regarding Franz, and his words of buying the tavern for the evening he can't help but wonder how the man affords it, though choose to ask "You've moved?  Is Limsa your new home now?  You know what this means right?  Shirts...and their removal."

He couldn't help but smirk at Otto just a little, the man certainly was consistent in his endeavors to make Franz take off his shirt.

"You mean this one isn't showing enough already?" The cloth shirt had already been fairly unbuttoned, exposing more of himself than he would normally allow. Rather than the heavier tabbard, the cloth fit loosely and didn't offer much protection. "Maybe after a few drinks you'll get your way." He held up his bare hands. "And look, no gloves either. But to answer the earlier questions, yes. While I care for a number of people in Ul'dah, it was never really quite a 'home', just a place I stayed. I've decided to stay in Limsa Lominsa for a while, at least until I can perhaps try to return to my home."

After responding to each person, he flagged down a nearby server and ordered an ale for himself, promptly drinking about half once it arrived.

Jancis asked and thanked the server as well once he returned with Franz's ale.

Since the man did not know what to get, Jancis asked for the chowder she mentioned earlier in a pot and bowls for the table. Along with that she tallied off other things including a bowl of fruit, a basket of various breads with some of that honey and cream cheese that Otto had made her try before.

The chowder that was brought out was thick, almost a casserole in its consistency. Large cubes of popoto could be seen in it. It was mostly clams this day, little slivers of pink meat sailing in the creamy broth.

And a pitcher of citrus water. Jancis' favorite.

Jancis regarded Otto quietly for a bit as she prepared her own serving of the food.

"No shirt? Though we are by the coast, can feel the wind brings a chill this night. Was no red upon the clouds, so surely a storm is coming soon to our way.

"Speaking of, dare say you look dashing in all red, Master Vann," she commented, using a more proper title in present company than her now adopted 'Otto'. "Forgive me, you look like a bright leaf upon an autumn day, vibrant before releasing its limb and twirling to the ground below."

As Sigurd settled into a seat, she still smiled at him for what she figured was concern. "Luckily no one decided to toss me upon the waves this day. No I, ah, did force the waters upon my own will, elements willing, in something of a training exercise. Was fruitful in many ways. But even I were, this robe is suitable for such. Yours, alas, would drag you far down into the waters. You must be a strong swimmer, yes?"

Sigurd offered a nod in greeting to Otto as he pondered over what a typical Limsan cuisine would be. Fish came to mind. More fish did too. It was always fish with ale or wine. That last part he liked, it was the fish he didn't particularly care for.

He tugged at the staff clinging to his back, removing it and propping it up against the table so he could lean back in the chair. He figured he could at least order some wine and something to snack on, maybe breadsticks. Franz wasn't wrong, after all. It was nice to pull his nose out of books and smell the fresh sea air. It always smelled so salty and moist here compared to the arid air of Thanalan.

"I research voidsent and the void," he replied to Franz. It was an unusual field, something even the most daring of thaumaturges tended to avoid. But then there was Sigurd, a voidsent researcher for three years now, talking about it like he was talking about what he was going to order. "I study their movements, abilities, behaviors, even what they like to eat. I've been called out a few times to help assess situations and clear out voidsent nests. I really do enjoy what I do, but sometimes, you're right. It is nice to come out and sit by the sea."

He was quickly distracted by Otto's rather bold attempt to thieve Franz of his shirt. He really should've expected it. This was the beach and shirtless people weren't exactly an unusual sight. Sigurd swore half of Coral would just rip off their clothes if the situation called for it. He sat back in his chair, snickering, hoping they wouldn't thieve him of his long robe. Then again, he always had a small undershirt on underneath. He wouldn't be completely left shirtless in the breeze.

He turned to Jancis at her inquiry. "A-ah, no not really. I haven't really attempted to swim since L'aenoh attempted to drown me in the ocean." He laughed. It wasn't done maliciously, but L'aenoh did have that odd, rather sharp sense of humor about him.

Reinette had, like Jancis, received notice of the note Franz left giving invitation to all Coralites to the lunch at the Bismarck. Thinking of the few dried foods in her rooms, or the left-over meals upstairs, she decided something hot and prepared by an actual chef would be more than welcome. The duskwight set off by way of boat from the Mists and walked with a leisurely pace through the bottom wharf of Limsa Lominsa. There had been an unusual amount of activity on the docks - each person too busy to be paused and questioned - but it was no concern to the chirurgeon.

Keeping on until she reached the Bismarck, it was then easy to find the group who had gathered by way of Franz's generosity. Reinette lingered a yalm away, watching the activity with an easy smile. Jancis, whom she was fond of, looked to be quite worn for such an easy day. It was good to see her hale and hungry, considering the young lady's recent injuries. It meant her body was healing well, and that put Reinette at ease. Otto Vann, who always surprised her by turning up in interesting places, seemed perfectly at ease with the La Noscean weather. Despite his lack of shirt. She noted Franz, who wore a simple tabard. He looked, by first sights, a simple mercenary from Ul'dah and she wondered at his interests in the lost civilizations. He seemed more intelligent than first put forth.

Reinette finally approached the full table when she saw Sigurd, stepping forward quickly to place her hand upon his shoulder. "Mon cher." A typical greeting, but always with warmth. "I'm glad to see you eating for once." Her left hand lingered on his shoulder, the right hidden with unconscious skill behind his back. It was left maimed by recent scars, clearly burnt even under the half-gloves she wore. At times, the right hand would shake without her notice, as if it were cold.

Turning to the other three, all of whom she considered friends, Reinette bowed from her waist. "Good sun to you all. I hope I am not intruding upon a scene already comfortable. I thought I would come to give company, if it is welcome."

"I research voidsent and the void," he replied to Franz. It was an unusual field, something even the most daring of thaumaturges tended to avoid. But then there was Sigurd, a voidsent researcher for three years now, talking about it like he was talking about what he was going to order. "I study their movements, abilities, behaviors, even what they like to eat. I've been called out a few times to help assess situations and clear out voidsent nests. I really do enjoy what I do, but sometimes, you're right. It is nice to come out and sit by the sea."

An interested smile grew on Franz's face. "Voidsent, you say? How interesting. I've had a couple encounters with them that have been rather unique. Perhaps in more private company, we can discuss them." He took another swig of the ale as he saw Jancis order for the table. "For now, let us just enjoy the moment."

Turning to the other three, all of whom she considered friends, Reinette bowed from her waist. "Good sun to you all. I hope I am not intruding upon a scene already comfortable. I thought I would come to give company, if it is welcome."

"Salut Mlle. You aren't intruding at all, please join us. I've yet to peruse through those tomes in full, but they have been very interesting so far. I know I don't quite look the part, but there's quite a scholar behind the mercenary's facade."

He gave a slight nod when a server returned carrying the various things Jancis had ordered. Like an easily excitable child, he couldn't help but want to try it the moment it was served. He turned to Jancis with an overly excited look. "Miss Jancis, mayhaps you can offer more recommendations in the future. This looks to be quite good!"

"Hey, love," he greeted Reinette with a smile. "Not an intrusion at all. Come join us." He beckoned her over, offering the extra seat next to him (because more than four chairs can fit at a table, of course). "Good to see you again. I think we were going to order food at some point. Something not fish." Although Jancis had ordered something, Sigurd had come a little later and hadn't quite gotten anything yet.

He nodded to Franz. "That's right. I study every aspect I can about them. Reinette helps me with some of the physiological details. I'm always happy to listen to stories about them. It helps add some observational details and informations about encounters and behaviors." He often liked to listen to stories, but some voidsent were just too rare or too dangerous to have any. Sometimes it was those particular voidsent which interested him the most.

Sigurd turned to Jancis at her inquiry. "A-ah, no not really. I haven't really attempted to swim since L'aenoh attempted to drown me in the ocean." He laughed. It wasn't done maliciously, but L'aenoh did have that odd, rather sharp sense of humor about him.

Jancis echoed the laugh, eyes squinting just picturing the antics in her head. It was certainly something the hutner was capable of for the best of intentions, surely; as she grew closer to the house the show of strength was definitely an important part of the culture, miqo'te or otherwise.

Franz gave a slight nod when a server returned carrying the various things Jancis had ordered. Like an easily excitable child, he couldn't help but want to try it the moment it was served. He turned to Jancis with an overly excited look. "Miss Jancis, mayhaps you can offer more recommendations in the future. This looks to be quite good!"

Before she could reply to Sigurd, she got caught up in the food, beaming at Franz as she scooped up bowls of chowder for the table, though Master Vann's got a bit of more attention to hopefully make the man more comfortable. An extra wipe of a napkin around the rim of the bowl to make sure it was clean before setting it in from of him. Every time she had seen Master Franz, she was caught in the emotion that his eyes and posture easily showed. It was good to see someone who didn't have so much of a hidden persona that the guards and others held. The man clearly lacked a poker-face and as a faithful under the guardian Thaliak, such knowledge was treasured.

"Good sun to you all. I hope I am not intruding upon a scene already comfortable. I thought I would come to give company, if it is welcome." Reinette greeted with a bow.

"Lady Reinette, good eve. Dare say your company is always welcome; surely are a comforting sight to more than Master Sigurd at this table." Jancis sent a grateful smile to the lady. One of the few that ever tended to the conjurer, there was that unavoidable feeling of assurance around someone who has dealt with wounds and pain. Still she tried to turn the conversation to something that might not unsettle some appetites like voidsent and other horrid unnatural creatures. Jancis had a past dealing with them, nearly being killed by them, and recently a dear friend being held by something much like them. The conjurer clearly had reason to sternly dislike the poisonous wretches.

Little did she realize she might be hitting on something that was far less appetizing for a least one person at the table.

"We were also just talking about swimming and how Master Sigurd would benefit from learning more about water, particularly how to move within it. Perchance I recall correctly, even trips upon the ferry are fairly uncommon, being desert-bred."

She had missed the comment Sigurd had said, clearly Jancis was so happy with Franz's response to her food choices how the midlander disliked fish, "Something not fish," and consequently served him a bowl of the clam chowder in turn with all around the table.

((Poor Sigurd - also this is a very busy week at work for me so please continue without waiting for Jancis, she shall be looking guilty and eating quietly!))

Franz's greeting, "Salut Mlle" took her off-guard. She stared at him, smile still in place but eyes trying to read where he learned such manners. Anyone who addressed her as mademoiselle made her uncertain. Were they doing so to be polite, or to mock her? Having met the mercenary but twice before, she doubted it was the latter. His face was too kind and genial to be trying to laugh at her heritage. "You certainly seemed out of place perusing the Ossuary's shelves. The gossip those thaumaturges can muster." There's a soft titter, Reinette clearly disapproving of the way her peers talked behind strangers' backs. "Regardless, I am very grateful you enjoy the books. Please do stop by or ask if you need any more recommendations."

Sigurd, sweet as ever, set her heart fluttering with his simple greeting. She sat beside him, and immediately sought his hand to hold onto. "Ah, food would do me well. And you, I imagine. Have you eaten since supper last eve?" the lady scolded. As if she were one to talk. The pair of them often became too lost in their own minds to think of foods, and often scrambled for something when their stomachs began to protest.

Which was soon to come for Reinette. The clam chowder bowls looked delicious and hearty, and she had no qualms against fish herself. The one who ordered them, Jancis, made her smile as always with such a warm welcome. "Swimming and voidsent as topics at the dinner table? I dare say we have mixed manners." She accepted a bowl with word of thanks, smiling at the others. By the look on Jancis' face, the duskwight decided to go with prior topic. Despite her own interest in voidsent.

"I did not learn to swim until my later summers. There are large bodies of water in the caverns, our family did not find it befitting to dredge into them. Then, when I was permitted to the surface, I had to beg my cousins to let me go swimming with them in the small lakes. It is a very peculiar sensation one must adjust to," she admitted with a shy smile to Sigurd. "And with L'aenoh and his unyielding amount of pranks, I can understand a certain amount of wariness."

"Is truly a foreign land to be thrown into, literally, Master Sigurd." Jancis agreed with Reinette. 

L'aenoh had a habit of doing rash things with seemingly good intentions, at least how the conjurer viewed it. It was a bolt and first instinct kind of mentality. Hopefully at the rate he was going it wouldn't make him lose anymore body parts.

"There are rivers in the Twelveswood that are quite fierce in their current I learned to swim in. It different than the ocean in appearance, but the strength is still there underneath the white foam. Demands conformity at first, then after that is as if the water trusts. Forgive me, I do find water fairly fascinating."

Jancis was gabbing until she realized what Sigurd had said before. He did not want fish. Pulling the bowl she prepared for him away back towards herself, she stared awkwardly at the studious man. A light smile came to her face, murmuring an apology before she tried to distract from her blunder and hopefully rectify her assumption.

"What else would go well with supper?"