[Balmung] Testing the Waters

Miryn

Greetings!

I've been playing FFXIV:ARR since early access last year and have just recently been bitten by the RP bug. My background is forum play-by-post, starting out on a Harry Potter board (don't laugh), then a Naruto board (please don't laugh), then going into original high fantasy boards over the last few years. I've kind of lost the drive to write the long meaty paragraphs typical of the boards I hung out in; MMO RP seems more bite-sized and fast-paced and I'd love to give that a try.

At the moment I'm still leveling the alt I'll be shipping over to Balmung, and haven't decided on a character yet. I'm leaning towards a gladiator-turned-paladin or a former Ishgardian knight, as I'm very fond of warrior types. Can anyone offer insight into the two choices? Any tips, warnings, or general advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hope to see you guys soon!

I used to RP Harry Potter! We still used dial-up back then, so that should tell you how long ago that's been. Although I recently was on a board where some folks were RPing as Harry Potter characters in a different universe, so it's still a thing! 

As for the Naruto rp, sorry but :lol:

anyway, you'll like Balmung! As an Ishgardian priestess I'm super biased, but "Former Ishgardian Knight" sounds like a fancy word for heretic to me!

*withholds giggles*

Welcome to the RPC, we'll be glad to have you with us on Balmung! :D I also made the leap from forum RP to MMO RP a couple years ago. It is more fast-paced and spontaneous! As for the characters, either sounds good, but "former Ishgardian knight" sounds a lot more juicy to me!

Greetings!

I've been playing FFXIV:ARR since early access last year and have just recently been bitten by the RP bug. My background is forum play-by-post, starting out on a Harry Potter board (don't laugh), then a Naruto board (please don't laugh), then going into original high fantasy boards over the last few years. I've kind of lost the drive to write the long meaty paragraphs typical of the boards I hung out in; MMO RP seems more bite-sized and fast-paced and I'd love to give that a try.

At the moment I'm still leveling the alt I'll be shipping over to Balmung, and haven't decided on a character yet. I'm leaning towards a gladiator-turned-paladin or a former Ishgardian knight, as I'm very fond of warrior types. Can anyone offer insight into the two choices? Any tips, warnings, or general advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hope to see you guys soon!

Erik is a Sultansworn who's mother was Ishgardian. I was wondering as a "warrior type" have you ever considered being a soldier/spy? Just throwing it out there, as I could help you in the Paladin route in rp and crafting, and could also help you rp a soldier as I am connected to both. Always glad to help, drop me a pm and ill shoot you some stuff if you are interested.

A former Ishgardian knight would indeed be a likely target for both Witch Hunter's, and Inquisitors, at least until the expansion :)

You will also find that there's a large community of Ishgardian exiles (and sort-of-exiles, like Aya) who are good friends for trying to avoid such trouble :)

Erik - For spywork, I'm afraid I've no talent in the subterfuge type of ways, my brain just blanks and goes "Bwuh?" any time I glance in that direction. As for being a soldier... Miryn will be in the market for a new job when all is said and done, so perhaps that is something she could do. I'll give it some thought, thank you for the suggestions and the offer of help!

Aya - Yeah, expansion on the horizon was definitely a contributing factor in my decision to make a character of Ishgardian background. :) I'll definitely have Miryn seek out such friends.