Balmung Idea: For the merchants

Zaheela

So I've been more interested in actually doing more rp, but I kinda feel like I'm overstepping my place here by thinking this, but...

I wonder if we could ever get the "merchants" (of wares, information, manpower and their bodyguards of course) together into one room as sort (Edit: I removed association from here because it could give the wrong idea.). Most people play as adventurers and such, so it'd be useful to get all the merchants/brokers together into one room to gain some connections. A meeting or a formal ball perhaps? (Maybe a few people to act as enforcers too, in case someone gains the idea to stab someone in the back...)

I don't know, I just wonder if it's possible all of us together to make it more plausible for a "grapevine" to occur.

I wouldn't be opposed to an opportunity to get more connections, though it'd all depend on how and when it happens. I tend to be sleeping when most people are RP'ing due to timezone differences, but I do have nights where sleep can go !#¤% itself ^^

Aya's comment makes a useful point - it's important to remember when starting these organizations that there is already one-such organization in Ul'dah, and it's kind of a big deal.

I think it would be useful for such an association to exist, especially for Limsan and Gridanian RPers, but we have to bear in mind that an Ul'dahn mercantile organization that isn't blessed by the auspices of the Syndicate, or powerful enough to be on the Syndicate, is going to encounter friction.

I was going to reply with a little snark but, I think i need to be serious.

While I am aware of the Syndicate lore wise, The goal of this meetup wouldn't be to make our own guild of sort, more like a formal get together, what is trending, how is business, etc etc; whatever backroom deals you wish to do is beyond the control of the Host/Hostess, and this would be clearly stated on the invite

Even so, I'd assume everyone was already on the Syndicate's watch list, even those who are not Uldahian. Plus who says that they already don't fund such functions? It's a great place to find fresh meat to blackmail/use for them...

If i spent some time on the details I could work a good work around, but this is completely the ramblings of a lurker from under her rock at this point.

While not a merchant myself IC, any sort of idea to get people connected I think can't hurt. There seems to be some opposition about how the superior powers would see this.

You could try to spin it in a way where it doesn't conflict (as much?). Money does quite a bit of talking in Ul'dah so it could be that the group pays a fee to sanction such meetings like this or even just have a premise the meetings are monitored so things are kept in check.

Conflict though does make for interesting stories and hooks for people to get into.

While not a merchant myself IC, any sort of idea to get people connected I think can't hurt. There seems to be some opposition about how the superior powers would see this.

I think opposition is the wrong word :)

It would be a bad idea for a player-based group of merchants to get on the bad side of the Syndicate, but the chance of that happening adds a little tension!