Still on Excalibur

Hi All! I am interested in RP.  I know many of you are from Excalibur(Legacy).  I don't think I can bring myself to leave yet, does anyone know if anyone at all RPs on Excalibur?  I really don't know where to start with RP either.  I have never RP before and wanted to get my feet wet!  Should I just make a new character on a server and see how I like it and move main later? Thoughts? Suggestions? ;)  Thank you look forward to chatting with you all!

Hi!

I think you mean Balmung (which is one of the legacy servers)? I know a few friends who play over there, but I'm not sure what the RP scene looks like. (It probably exists, but may be very quiet/secluded, depending on the players).

One quick way to find out is to go to a central hub area (On Balmung, it's typically the quicksand in Ul'dah that gets the most packed) and to do a /shout or /yell looking for RPers. 

If it's quiet, or maybe you're more comfortable, there is nothing that could stop you from RPing on the forums as well! I know we've attempted a couple Balmung/Gilgamesh crossovers, but sometimes the differing communities of the servers can make that a little....interesting.

--

To answer your question, do what seems like the most fun for you! If you've got a bunch of friends on Excalibur, leaving just for RP would be kinda sad. Typically, Balmung opens its gates to transfers/new characters around the 2AM-6AM PST mark. If you happen to be awake then, you could try making a low level alt to browse the community to see if you like it, thne transfer over if so?

Hey there! Figured I'd throw my two cents in, being an Excalibur ex-pat myself!

As far as Excal's RP scene, it's practically non-existent. Sure, there are likely some small scale RP linkshells / FCs somewhere, but they're not openly advertised and probably very closed off / hard to find and join. RP is just not something you'll see a lot of on that server, especially not open world RP.

In fact, while I was there, I even avoided telling people about my RP hobby because the attitude towards it from a lot of the players was mocking, and sometimes antagonistic. ("Ohhhh, you roleplay? So you just want to ERP, then." kind of stuff. All the time. Even from my FC mates / friends who only did PVE.)

What I'd suggest is doing exactly what you said:  make an alt character on Balmung or Gilgamesh, try out RP for a while, and move over your main later if you decide you like it here. That's exactly what I did, and I don't regret it a bit! c: