Which starting city will you pick?

Which city will you start in?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which city will you start in?

• Limsa-Lominsa
    • Ul'dah
    • Gridania

Hrmm, I would start in Ul'dah, since that is where Eeam currently lives. But Gridania is just calling out to me... I guess It's up in the air, It really just depends on which city looks better in-game. xD

Also, Brin stole my face. :<

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from what I can gather....Uldana = San'Doria. Limsa = Bastok and Gridania = Windy. At least that's how I see it roughly translated. I'm torn between Limsa and Uldana. My first character was Sandoria in FFXI, and that town was amazing, but Bastok was very centralized and interesting.

I don't know, it feels more to me like they took ideas from smaller towns in FFXI and turned them into major spots. Ul'dah almost sounds like Rabao all grown up into a city-state. The description says opulent and full of gambling, with a sultan as a leader but also the Syndicate pretty much running things, and something about a giant dome in the center.

Limsa-Lominsa reminds me more of Mhaura but with all the NPCs from Norg walking around. xD

I wish we had more info on Gridania, it definitely seems almost Windurstian, but it's so hard to tell from what little they have given us!

Hello,

New to this forum and liking what I see here. Haven't posted yet but this thread caught my eye because I still know so little about the game...

Do we really choose one of these three as a starting city? Or do we all start like the Benchmark shows and end up in Limsa first?

Also, how does this affect our armoury interests? I mean, certainly if you love Limsa (me) but want to focus on the skills of a Thaumaturge (also me) would you not have to trek over to Ul'dah all the time because the HQ for the Thaumaturges is there?

Just curious if anyone knows more about all this, or if it's still all speculation until the NDA is lifted.

Well, what S-E has confirmed in interviews is that you get to pick your starting city, and it is not like FFXI where certain races were "traditionally" from one city or the other (like Elvaans got a ring if they started in San d'Oria). They've also said that while certain job classes will have their HQ in various cities, there is some overlap. Like for instance they have said that there is a Fishing Guild in Limsa-Lominsa as well as in Gridania.

As far as how the HQ will effect your advancement in that class, your guess is as good as mine. :/

Pure speculation: Based on S-E's emphasis on everyone being able to do whatever they want, I think the HQs are not necessarily going to be like, the place you go to every time you level, but maybe like the place you go to for class-specific missions or quests. That is my guess though.

As far as how the HQ will effect your advancement in that class, your guess is as good as mine. :/

Pure speculation: Based on S-E's emphasis on everyone being able to do whatever they want, I think the HQs are not necessarily going to be like, the place you go to every time you level, but maybe like the place you go to for class-specific missions or quests. That is my guess though.

Ah yes... I'm hoping that's the latter. And I just read on some site a 'rumor' about how the light houses in Limsa are run by Thaumaturge magic so hopefully, yeah there will be some overlap.

Besides I doubt travel will be that difficult... gone are the days it seems of it taking a few hours to get to some far corner of a MMO world. I was just wondering if we are limited to calling our base of operations something based on our class interests. Here's hoping you are right!

Thanks for the reply. :)

Has any indication at all been made where the weaver/clothcrafter HQ will be? I'm fairly certain there's nothing in Limsa (which leaves me wondering how it's going to be accomplished as a class in Beta). This will kind of play a role in what starting city I choose as well. I suspect HQ might wind up in Ul'dah with a branch office in Gridania, but that's just idle speculation...

:?

Has any indication at all been made where the weaver/clothcrafter HQ will be? I'm fairly certain there's nothing in Limsa (which leaves me wondering how it's going to be accomplished as a class in Beta). This will kind of play a role in what starting city I choose as well. I suspect HQ might wind up in Ul'dah with a branch office in Gridania, but that's just idle speculation...

:?

Actually, I believe I read it was Ul'dah, as the city is "famous" for it's affluent cloth designs and styles.

EDIT:

Ah yes, according to the official site:

Ulâdahn culture is known for its affluence' date=' and the wealth of the nation comes in large part from its abundant mineral resources and prestigious clothcrafting industry.[/quote']

So it seems there will be tons for the miner there, and the Tailoring HQ will probably be there as well.

Hmm,

So after reading the very end of the article on Ul'dah on Eorziapedia I might have to change my mind... It says that the Thaumaturge Guild is based in Ul'dah, which leads me to believe that it matters which starting city you pick based on your starting class. Am I jumping to conclusions?