Noble Lala Lore?

Hi Guys, 

I'm planning on RPing a Noble/Upper Class Dunesfolk Lala Female , but I don't know much about Ul'dah class politics, or what type of individual becomes a noble/upper class (I guess merchants maybe?). Or really anything about Ul'dah in general. It needs to be Ul'dah, right, since that's where the wealthy Lalas live? Any help/links would be much appreciated!

Nobility outside of the Sultana is a foreign concept for Ul'dah. Wealth and power are the only things most citizens of Ul'dah recognize, leading to it's upper class more concerned with amassing wealth than any kind of bloodline or nobility.

To most high society Ul'dah, it's all about the political games of wealth and power while trampling or using the little people to their own games.

I'm planning on RPing a Noble/Upper Class Dunesfolk Lala Female , but I don't know much about Ul'dah class politics, or what type of individual becomes a noble/upper class (I guess merchants maybe?). Or really anything about Ul'dah in general. It needs to be Ul'dah, right, since that's where the wealthy Lalas live? Any help/links would be much appreciated!

First off, there are two forms of "nobility" in Ul'dah.

1) Royal Bloodline

2) Monetary

The first is the ruling Royal Bloodline of Ul, who trace their ancestry back to Sasagan Ul Sisigan, the founder of Ul'dah. There have been two Ul dynasties in Ul'dah's 600 year history and one Thorne dynasty, a brief period in history where Ul'dah was ruled by a Hyuran Sultan named Balderic Thorne. Nanamo Ul Namo, the current Sultana of Ul'dah, is seventeenth in her line. There are rumors also of a descendant of the Thorne family still being alive in the current day.

The second ruling party in Ul'dah is the Syndicate, a council made up of the six wealthiest individuals in Ul'dah. The current Syndicate members are:

-Flame General, Raubahn Aldynn, owner of the Coliseum

-Prince Teledji Adeledji of the Mirage Trust

-Chief Foreman, Fyrgeiss of Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern

-Chairman Lolorito of the East Aldenard Trading Company

-Prior Dewlala of Milvaneth Sacrarium

-Godbert Manderville, owner of the Manderville Gold Saucer

For those not born into the royal line (note: almost everyone) the only way towards upward mobility in Ul'dahn society is to acquire more wealth. The more wealth, the more social standing. To be poor, or even to give away one's wealth, is seen to be a disgrace in the eyes of Nald, god of commerce and patron deity of Ul'dah.

Here's a couple links to posts I've made in the past summarizing Ul'dahn society and how gil and religion heavily ties into the city-state's politics:

-Ossuary vs Milvaneth Sacrarium

-Understanding Thaumaturgy's Role in Ul'dahn Politics

So, all that said, the best way to make a Ul'dahn noble in Ul'dah would be to make them a wealthy merchant or having come from a wealthy merchant family.

It needs to be Ul'dah, right, since that's where the wealthy Lalas live?

Not necessarily. While a good majority of Eorzea's Dunesfolk population now resides in Ul'dah, Lalafells do exist in other places in the world, including the South Sea Isles as well as the Near and Far East. You could always RP as a royal, noble, or wealthy merchant from one of these places as well.

But yes, Ul'dah is the easiest place to have a Dunesfolk noble. All you need is a lot of coin!

Hope this helps! ^^