Event Planning Thread!

Reiry

After some semi-drama in Back Stage regarding the state of the community I opened my big mouth and complained about not enough events... so now I feel guilty about just complaining and not doing anything about it.

What I'm proposing is a low pressure open RP event(s) on the calender that Ideally would allow new people an IC opportunity to meet people in what can occasionally be an intimidating community. Ideally we would never be more than two weeks away from an event. It should be something that is advertised or reasonably well known so new characters have an IC reason for being there without having to know anyone.

As Reta pointed out these type of events don't tend to be super deep. This is more about offering new people an easy IC access point to the community.

Yssen made a case for bar RP: that it is very easy for people to have a reason to be there and pretty much accessible to all. Then several people complained about it and for good reason bar rp isn't something everyone enjoys and some characters just don't fit well in it. But it isn't a bad place to start... I'm thinking "Happy Hour at The Drowning Wench" if nothing else because of the pleasant dissonance between happy and drowning. I also like the idea of something more commercial that centered around buying and selling or crafting.

ANYWAY if anyone thinks up something interesting please share.

Also if anyone knows how to do those cool IC posters that would be nice... because I'm artistically challenged.

This topic of discussion has come up more than once over the past year or so. The problem really isn't the number of events either. We can have a constant slew of public events and the same people would be the ones to come out every time. A number of RPers have created a bubble for themselves within their individual shells. Popping those bubbles are near impossible, as I've personally tried multiple times myself. A lot of Rpers, for whatever reason, are perfectly content having little or nothing to do with the larger community at whole and we can't really change their minds about that.

People will also get bored with the same old type of events all the time (hence the reaction to the bar scene). Inclusive storylines are much more needed, hence the public events centering around House Mavanix. Despite the same people coming out to said events, the events were largely a success in helping new people meet each other and putting them into dangerous situations together while giving room for individual character growth. I'm not going to keep being the one coming up with large-scale storylines like that though. I gotta focus on my individual characters from time to time after all :lol:

Overall, a weekly/bi-weekly social gathering like a tavern event would be nice. But just don't expect to see too many new faces and expect the atmosphere to become stagnant after the first couple times. The real issue at the heart of the RP community sadly can't be fixed by most of us. And the people who can fix it either don't pay attention to these forums or don't feel that anything needs fixed, so we're at a standstill.

I was actually going to post another storytelling night (like the one we did back in the spring) - kind of want to make this a quarterly thing too. I'm not on Backstage too often, but I've heard more and more people asking if there's any public RP going on, so it seems like the demand is definitely there. Please look for a post about this later today when I can manage to find some free time.

( and hopefully the Garleans won't attack during this one so people can actually stick around for it :oops: )

I'm all for this, being a new member to the Balmung community. I've been trying to find an open nitch to fit into while waiting for 2.0 and Blue Skies to become more active. I think it would work best if you set it up as a way for people to meet in character and go on a party oriented mini-adventure to ease in new players who want to understand the community and help them become associated with the more active members.

I'm for this as well.

We really do need more regular events. The only reason I've ever really played XIV is for the RP. I havn't really been on much recently due to rather bad depression (still ongoing, and gradually getting worse), which basically reduced my patience for waiting around ingame for responses to RP requests.

I also approve of more inclusive events, because to be honest, I'm sick and tired of people asking about RP, then when I mention there is some going on, I get ignored, probably because I am (or the the location of the RP is) not inside the bubble of the RPer in question. An inclusive event would allow characters to get to know each other and actually have a reason to join together during an unplanned RP.

I would personally recommend first and foremost an event based around bringing the RP linkshells together. I know this sort of thing has been attempted many times in the past, and I know that in the end, most RP groups just return to thier bubbles again, but this sort of thing I think is one of the best ways to break the bubbles of the RP community, because it gives reasons for members of individual LSs to visit each others' headquarters, which is where a lot of the more casual RP occurs (or at least in Corvus Cinis it does - or did, but I've yet to see anyone there particularly active other than me, Leanna and Miyuki in recent times, and even then, me and Miyuki are now spending more time at Little Ala Mhigo).

Another problem we have, and thus there is a greater need for planned RP rather than unplanned RP, is that 2.0 is approaching. This means a lot of RPers are either busy getting all the content done or not playing because for whatever reason they don't feel they need to until the update. That means they're not really available for on-the-moment RPs.

People will also get bored with the same old type of events all the time (hence the reaction to the bar scene). Inclusive storylines are much more needed' date=' hence the public events centering around House Mavanix. Despite the same people coming out to said events, the events were largely a success in helping new people meet each other and putting them into dangerous situations together while giving room for individual character growth. I'm not going to keep being the one coming up with large-scale storylines like that though. I gotta focus on my individual characters from time to time after all [/quote']

The Mavanix storyline was huge and looked to be a ton of effort. Putting one of those together every week would be a pretty crazy time investment and take quite a bit of creativity. I'm thinking more... TALE Masquerade type event. No overarching story line (or if there was it was below the surface) but still a fun event... at least I enjoyed it.

It's somewhat psychological, people find waiting at stoplights far less infuriating even for much longer times than stop signs, because at a stoplight you're guaranteed to get your turn while at a stop sign you can spend the whole time wondering if you'll ever get an opening. So my feeling is running up against a cliquish wall is far less rage-quit inducing if you know there will be something more open you can count on at a definite time in the future.

Overall' date=' a weekly/bi-weekly social gathering like a tavern event would be nice. But just don't expect to see too many new faces and expect the atmosphere to become stagnant after the first couple times. [/quote']

This is where I'm questioning myself. I'm not sure if it's irrational exuberance on my part or if there really is enough demand for something like this. It did at least seem like there was a wave of new people as the first round of 2.0 videos/screen shots released. Some interest was expresses last night by people who were struggling to to find RP or would have liked to have something more when they were new.

With the server shut down for 2.0 marginally imminent there prolly isn't enough time for anything to get too stagnant. Also perhaps rotating the type of event might keep things a little fresher, so that it's not bar night every night.

Oh hey looks like Eva has already posted an event!

I've been trying to get an event together recently, (look at my thread in Bulletin Board for it), but when trying to get it together, it reveals another problem with getting it together. People aren't on enough in Backstage lately (that I can see) to get an event like the Masquerade and Mavanix storyline going. It seems the recent launch of MMO's has drawn some people away from the game, and then school is added on top of that. (Which is my situation.)

Those are my two gil on this.

(Sorry if it's slightly incoherent... I'm tired. >.<)

I've been trying to get an event together recently, (look at my thread in Bulletin Board for it), but when trying to get it together, it reveals another problem with getting it together. People aren't on enough in Backstage lately (that I can see) to get an event like the Masquerade and Mavanix storyline going. It seems the recent launch of MMO's has drawn some people away from the game, and then school is added on top of that. (Which is my situation.)

Those are my two gil on this.

(Sorry if it's slightly incoherent... I'm tired. >.<)

You has the unfortunate luck of having your event coincide with the opening day of gw2. Eva might have the right idea for planning an event two weeks from now, that will allow some time for the shine to wear off of gw2.

Leanna I think the problem you are having might be more to do with just.. people not wanting to RP about other characters than their own. That's a common theme in the community. It's hard to get together big things for your own storyline if people don't see an obvious opportunity for their character to get something out of it (eg: character growth, hardship, dramz) other than playing a part in your stuff.

A lot of Rpers' date=' for whatever reason, are perfectly content having little or nothing to do with the larger community at whole and we can't really change their minds about that.[/quote']

I'm even finding myself doing it sometimes too, but mostly because I don't like being asked to RP, I'm weird and I'd rather have someone just ambush me with it (IC or OOC) than ask. This limits my circle to those who have a pearl who can contact her IC or those who I run into. So.. OOC.. just say 'RP WITH ME' and I'll say OK, and happy days. I don't know why it makes me nervous when people ask. I feel like I'm expected to come up with some brilliant RP that we could do or something. x_x

People will also get bored with the same old type of events all the time (hence the reaction to the bar scene). Inclusive storylines are much more needed' date=' hence the public events centering around House Mavanix.[/quote']

I disagree! I don't care for big inclusive storyline like that at all! It feels too staged. I'd rather if we were going to do an event, just let things happen (or not happen) naturally. Or, if you have something in mind to initiate some IC story, that it not be scripted. Allow the characters to interact naturally, talk, do things, get ideas, react, change things.. etc. I don't mind sitting in a bar with a bunch of people IC and just talking about whatever, the only problem is when people are multitasking and not paying attention to the RP/putting any effort in so it gets stagnant (pet peeve alert).

I don't plan events mostly because I am not creative enough to! My mind doesn't work that way. I enjoy reacting to whatever is going on, and other people reacting to my reactions and onwards we go! xD

I'm weird and I'd rather have someone just ambush me with it (IC or OOC) than ask. This limits my circle to those who have a pearl who can contact her IC or those who I run into. So.. OOC.. just say 'RP WITH ME' and I'll say OK' date=' and happy days. I don't know why it makes me nervous when people ask. I feel like I'm expected to come up with some brilliant RP that we could do or something. x_x[/quote']

I'm with ya there Aysun, few things infuriate me like hearing "I don't know, what do you want to do?" from a guy... I mean... wait... maybe that was too much personal information...

There are a lot of variables to consider when thinking about why people may or may not attend events.

The tavern type events, which some may argue "get old quickly", are still often fun and worth making some effort to try integrating your character into if you're feeling a certain lack of RP. But it's also understandable why some characters might not be interested in this sort of thing. I play a kind of "goodie two shoes" sort of character, so the bar thing isn't going to work for me. Eva also has a bit of an aversion to Limsa Lominsa. I kind of work her out of her shell a little bit for the sake of RP, and because it's realistic to not perpetually be in one's own comfort zone 100% of the time. But I think it would be kind of folly to expect that all the time. I wouldn't expect everyone to turn up at the storytelling gathering next month either for the same reason. It may not be some characters' thing. And that's okay.

I think it is definitely a good thing to have a variety of different sort of global RP events (I use the term 'global' to mean encompassing all RP LS's and not just RP within one's own group), and hosted by a variety of different RPers. I understand there are a number of RPers who either do not wish to align themselves with any particular RPLS, or otherwise feel disconnected or uneducated about what those LS's are all about due to lack of involvement with them. But there does seem to be a curiosity there, and a want to kind of "break into" it.

But like all things it's give and take. To some extent each character should be a bit proactive. Because if everyone is reactive, there will be nothing initiated from which to react.

On another vein, I would love to see the RPC utilized a bit more for the planning of global events such as these. I know sometimes things come together spur-of-the-moment and can be announced over Backstage (or whatever we may call the next iteration of the OOC pearl), but it certainly cannot hurt to advertise the event here. Even if not all of our LS mates participate in the RPC discussions/forums, at least someone can cross-post about the event so that the information trickles down to the various other RPLS forums and reaches a greater number of RPers. That is, as I have understood it, one of the stated purposes of the RPC and this forum system.

As for the storytelling night - I wasn't really thinking of the GW2 launch when I scheduled that. That was more of a happy coincidence. I figured two weeks gave time for folks to write up some stories if they wanted to share anything. And also my weekends in September are mostly full up with RL plans. But I had wanted those to be kind of a seasonal thing, and I'd been hosting a similar event going back almost as far as the game's release. It's just a lot of fun and allows for a lot of different types of characters to meet up with one another and affords an opportunity for more than just storytelling. Depending on how others may interpret the stories and such. Character growth, and all that. Or just lighthearted storytelling, for some. It all boils down to what each RPer wants to make of it.

I do like RPing beyond the boundaries of my LS, but I often feel I need to have some reason for it as well. And I think a lot of us feel the same way. "Oh, there's RP happening at the Gold Court? Well I'm in Gridania. Why would my character go there?" I suppose a lot of it is finding a way to bridge things to make it feasable for your character to get from point A to point B so that you can participate.

Sorry to ramble. Just a lot to think about, I suppose. ;)