Canon RP to resume.... when?

Eva

Since there's been a lot of debate lately I figured I'd ask a question I've been pondering to see what everyone else thinks.

When should we officially start RPing again?

This post is probably best geared more towards other other characters who entered the rift in Mor Dhona at the end of 1.0 and thus disappeared from the known world for 5 years. But if I'm interpreting the Beta roadmap correctly, the earlier stages of Beta aren't open to everyone until Stage 4, which is also where 1.0 data can be carried over. So I'm mostly just curious when people are planning on picking up RP again. Those staying behind for the 5-year duration can probably RP across any other medium they choose but I would imagine it would make a lot more sense for the rift characters to all return at roughly the same time (though perhaps not and hopefully Stage1 beta will give us a clearer picture of this along with so many other things we've all been quibbling over lately).

But it seems to me that either Stage 4 Beta or Official Release would both make sense. And I was mostly curious what other RPers had planned. I was going to make this a poll but I would rather just keep it open-ended.

I also haven't made up my own mind yet when Eva will be ICly returning exactly. :?

I think is just sort of one of those things where a lot of people might have different answers. When it boils down to it, I personally will probably just sync up with those who are close to my character in RP and go from there. Whether we "start" back up during phase 1 of the beta, or beyond. It will probably be one of those things that so very rarely comes up or is mentioned, anyways. Plus one could argue that Lousioux's spell was staggered. I mean, I personally would like to think most people would return around the same time, if not at the same time. Who knows, though?

If I had to choose, I would consider Endemerrin actually being back once I'm able to play him in the Beta. (As in my 1.0 character data.)

I'd say for both parties players can at least start fleshing out some story work in the Beta. I'm sure there will be a few things locked, but at least it will give us the lay of the land and a little insight to what happened after the events that took place. I would say any stage of Beta would do for either group of players and those who can't get in until Phase 4 or even release would naturally wait. I just don't see too much canon being formed in even Beta 4 since those who will RP it will be busy checking landmarks and asking each other "What happened to you??". Not to mention that while we may be able to form FC's and LS's, it'll all get deleted up until Phase 4 so any special gear or treasure added to inventory that a character may inherit wouldn't be solid in their story until then.

In theory it should unfold naturally.

Personally, I'm going to try to get a bit of cannon RP in, but I may be too busy. I'll have school and work and I may just end up exploring gathering/tradeskilling and checking out landmarks and achievements. That and bug report/content requests. I have very few ties with the rest of the RPC so far, so RP for me would be along the same line as the new/returning players without legacy-- establishing character presence and a bit of backstory injection.

Phase 4 stuff will be carried over to official release, that is correct. As far as a date when shenanigans commence again across the board, one could make a case for any phase of beta. It is important to remember that not all of us are Legacy though, and therefore not all of us will be automatically in at phase 1. From a personal stand point, some of pockets of people have already picked up stuff that is post rift return. This has been done largely with the understanding that some details may change when we find out more info in beta. Nothing prevents one from having canon stuff over skype or some other medium other than personal preference. We are, of course, also aware that those that did not get poofed through time have been filling in the five year gap as beta approaches.

For my two gil. Canon out of the rift whenever you want it on a personal level, if all parties agree. Stage 4 beta or later for across the board shenanigans. That is just me though.

Phase 4 progress is, at least for now, planned to carry over to release, though, right?

You are correct. This is also "open beta" which I interpret to mean anyone can join by this point so I don't think anyone would be excluded from RP. This is also the stage where your character data gets ported in from 1.0. So this seemed like a logical "starting-out point", but I foresee a variety of different opinions on the matter and just was curious what everyone else was planning to do.

I also know some people with Legacy status are really antsy to begin RPing again. I don't really think anything is right or wrong, but I'm kind of trying to figure out when I should start RPing again myself, so I was mostly just very curious.

I don't think it really matters too much. Time periods between RP are often more or less fungible. For instance, if I came back from the rift two weeks ago and someone else's character had an RP where they came back three days ago, we'd be fine so long as subject doesn't come up.

Though it'd be simpler to have everyone doing it at the same time so we're all on the same page, I'd rather not set it in stone for everyone.

Of course, another solution might be to have it so that people are coming back at different times. If the lore supports this (or at least doesn't contradict it) that would probably be optimal.

I don't think it really matters too much. Time periods between RP are often more or less fungible. For instance, if I came back from the rift two weeks ago and someone else's character had an RP where they came back three days ago, we'd be fine so long as subject doesn't come up.

Though it'd be simpler to have everyone doing it at the same time so we're all on the same page, I'd rather not set it in stone for everyone.

Of course, another solution might be to have it so that people are coming back at different times. If the lore supports this (or at least doesn't contradict it) that would probably be optimal.

Luis: /me teleports everyone for safety...almost forgets Derplander and teleports him at the last second. Imagines all the adventurers from past and present spawning on top of each other at the same time in exactly one specific spot.

Luis: /smirk

---

Derplander: /em teleports in at the last minute, looks down on top of the pile of people.

Derplander: /smirk

Roeg: You left your weapon, Derplander!

Derplander: /suprisedconfusedsmug look, like he did it on purpose...or is completely oblivious...

I'm probably aiming at Phase 4 or launch myself. Depending on how my RL situation goes at that time Mihana and Calzien may not reappear into the world until well after everyone else has. If everything goes well then they'll pop in shortly after everyone else begins to.

However, if the game comes out and it's implied that we all appear at once.. it'd be pretty easy to come up with a reason as to why they've still been off the radar for whatever period of time you need before you can come back to the game. No reason to break lore and say they showed up late due to some fluke or something. x3

I will probably just start up when everyone else does (particularly those Aysun already knows). Though I'm dying to as start as soon as we find out where we appear/what happens, I know this isn't possible for everyone.