There Was A Hat. [Open]

The sun rises. Windows are thrown open. Bellies are fed with healthy breakfast.

Another sun dawned upon the Desert Jewel. A day, supposedly unassuming as any other day, where people began to flow over the streets, directing themselves towards their jobs, talking about their day to day lives, simple, uneventful.

Except, for a piece of attire, alone, ignored, in the middle of Nald streets. A fancy, elegant, unassuming, inconspicuous...hat.

porkpie-hat.jpg

What it was doing there? Did someone forget their precious hat? Did someone purposefully leave their hat? Was it a trap? A simple coincidence, or a fateful occurrence? Was there anything significant to this? A philosophical meaning behind its elegant brim?

There was a hat, in the street. Waiting for someone. Or waiting for no one. Who knows.

Zoktai was hurried from the market place when he spotted the red hat. He look around confused. "What the...Did someone leave this?" He approached the hat looking around. "Hello anyone?" He looked down carefully picking up the red hat by the brim. "This is very nice quality....I could probably sell it at nice price...I wonder if i can find more.." He flipped it over examining the interior. "I never really seen such quality material either...maybe someone at the Quicksand can enlighten me on the owner." He carefully held the hat walking towards the quicksand whistling.

The Quicksand was fairly empty for the time of day. A rarity. A few patrons were scattered around some tables. A few adventurers stood by the Levemete's desk, arguing over which leveplates looked most appealing.

Rostnais sat at a table with a large mug of ale. Somewhere in Eorzea, it was an appropriate time to drink, so why shouldn't he have one. The Roegadyn's eyes widened for a moment upon seeing it and the person entering with it. A hat. A very nice looking hat.

In a loud boisterous manner, he jumped up from his seat. "Sir! That hat! Where did you find it? 'Wolves back on the boat would LOVE that!"

Zoktai was shock taking a step back before looking down at his hands the old Au Ra just shook his head. "To be honest I just found this magnificent thing out in the street. I was hoping to look for a merchant,owner or twelve forbid the maker of this fine jewel. " He nodded before eyeing the Roedaedyn. "You wouldn't have happen to seen any other hats fitting this appearance or quality have you?" He started walking toward the Roegaedyn motioning towards the hat in his hand showing off the beautiful brim, the emblem with feather accent, and finally well crafted felt? exterior.

Rost instinctively reached out for the hat before noticing his hands were not only wet from his chilled mug, but also dirty from the day's work he had accomplished. Stopping himself before he went too far, he wiped his hands off on his pants just in case and remarked, "I've seen similar, but nothin' that's this nice. Not in the desert unless somebody lost it, at least"

It really was a nice hat. Perhaps a little too small his head, but it would have fit a smaller person well. "Must be some merchant havin' a fit about losing it..."

"Aye.....Ah! I Know! Why not you assist me in finding the owner? I bet if we do we can find the source to such a well made hat and probably can procure others!" He smiled before looking on the inside of the hat. "I'm still unfamiliar in this city where would one go to ask about lost items and the like?"

“Err...uhh….” Rost looked a bit lost at the question himself. He hadn’t normally spent in Ul’dah leisurely. It was typically only to load or unload traded goods and then back towards sea. “Uhhh… well you see, I got no clue about the city’s workings.” He slumped down into his seat, taking a heavy swig of what was left of his ale. “But doesn’t this city have a Weavers’ Guild or somethin? Maybe one of them made it. Or could tell who did!”

He was getting excited about it. He didn’t typically have to spend any effort wondering about things either. There was little time to do so on the ship. “Just uh..I have no idea where that is.” Defeated again.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Weaver's guild? Ah of course! That's brilliant Follow me good sir!" He motioned to the door hurried as he felt the need to find the owner of this hat. Zoktai was familiar with basic lay out of Ul'dah thanks to business from before he was able to arrive out side the guild easy enough. What bothered him was how many onlookers and passersby could not help but stare at the hat in his hands. Murmurs oohs and aahs were aplenty some even walked up to ask him where he got such an amazing hat and in response he kept repeating he just found it and is trying to find the owner.

Checheri Cheri tapped her foot as the ignorant tailor prattled on and on about the latest cross stitch patterns she had created and an incredibly rare dye that would make cloaks pop and gowns sparkle. "I have told you time and time again that I am NOT here  to purchase any of your drab creations. I am looking for a master craftsman. A professional. Not a purveyor of cheap, and quite frankly tawdry, goods. No matter how you truss it, a pig is most certainly still a pig." 

Checheri brushed passed the now profanity-spewing tailor in order to reach the exit of the so-called guild. "Not a master to be found amongst these desperate pretenders. Not a single one. At this rate Mon Cheri will never again rise to conquer the markets  of Ul'dah..." 

Before she could open the door, however, it burst open in a flurry of activity. Due to her diminutive Lalafell stature, Checheri could only see one thing: a luscious red hat, Perfectly crafted in most every way.

"Who made this!!?" she exclaimed, her manicured nails pawing at the celestial creation.