New to XIV, upgrading trial to full today

On the 1st of June I decided to see what all the fuss was about and tried getting the XIV trial on PS4. I must say that I am incredibly impressed. So much so that just from actually seeing the in-game graphics and reading about what the game is like, I'm going to be buying the game before I even make a character on the trial. 

You may think I'm crazy, but the primary reason is that I'm trying to get on Balmung, which as I understand it is easily the most RP friendly server. I stayed up until 5:30am Central USA time last night trying to make a character. I was watching TV while constantly checking the refresh server button every 5 minutes or so on Vita'a Remote Play thingie. Thankfully old reruns of Mythbusters and South Park were on most of the night. Strange show combination (science overall smart show and immature comedy show) but I like both, what can I say?

But why am I already buying the game? Server Transfers. As I understand it from reading various threads here, official, gamefaqs, and other places, you can just make a character on any server of the same Data Center then Server Transfer onto Balmung, even if it's completely full at the moment. Is that actually true? I want to be sure.

This website looks great though, and like it has a much friendlier community than the official ones (not that I can post there yet anyway). 

I'll likely be looking into RP guilds/Free Companies/Linkshells when I finally get in, and hope the server is as friendly to RP as most people claim. Please note that I mean actual RP, not "eRP". I have absolutely zero interest in eRP.

Thanks for reading, hope to see you around. I'll be changing my avatar once I actually get my character made. :bouncy:

EDIT: This concerns me. I found this on the official World Transfer Service page:

* Characters cannot be transferred to a World which has already reached the limit for character creation.

That seems to say the exact opposite of what I've been finding. 

So..... which is it?

Hello there, welcome to the RPC!

You can transfer onto Balmung, and that's your best bet for getting onto the server, since character creation is almost never open here. As for Balmung, it is indeed very RP friendly. However, it's not an official RP server, so keep in mind that not every player on the server is a role-player and every now and then you do run into people who hate RP and want to troll RPers (why these people play on the "RP server" is beyond me). That kinda stuff isn't likely to happen, just bear it in mind when approaching strangers IC if you don't already know that they're role-players!

Thanks for reading, hope to see you around. I'll be changing my avatar once I actually get my character made. :bouncy:

EDIT: This concerns me. I found this on the official World Transfer Service page:

* Characters cannot be transferred to a World which has already reached the limit for character creation.

That seems to say the exact opposite of what I've been finding. 

So..... which is it?

Officially, that's their stance. Unofficially, it's been allowed every single time UNLESS you transfer on patch day.

I'd say wait until 3.3 is out before transferring and you should be fine.

Hello there, welcome to the RPC!

You can transfer onto Balmung, and that's your best bet for getting onto the server, since character creation is almost never open here. As for Balmung, it is indeed very RP friendly. However, it's not an official RP server, so keep in mind that not every player on the server is a role-player and every now and then you do run into people who hate RP and want to troll RPers (why these people play on the "RP server" is beyond me). That kinda stuff isn't likely to happen, just bear it in mind when approaching strangers IC if you don't already know that they're role-players!

Greetings, thank you for replying. I already knew there is no official RP server though, as well as those accompanying risks, so no worries. 

As for the server transfer, most people claim you can world transfer onto Balmung even if the character creation is restricted, but the official website says quite literally the direct opposite. 

You seem to be saying what others say, that you can transfer to it even when restricted. Considering how many people are saying that, I'm pretty sure at this point that the official website's statement is just flat out wrong. 

Does anyone have any idea why the website claims that? Is it outdated information that was true but no longer is? An intentional lie to discourage people from joining overpopulated servers? :dazed:

EDIT @Kellach - I'll look into when Patch 3.3 comes out. If it's still a week or more away, I'll probably just do it earlier. I've been looking for an awesome console MMORPG for a long time.

EDIT 2 - June 7th. Hmm....

You can indeed transfer to Balmung if you are paying. What the Website says and what is actually allowed differ. The website might reflect what SE intended or eventually intends to enforce, but for now it works 98% of the time. I've heard of it failing only once or twice for unknown reasons. Bear in mind that you can transfer up to 8 characters to a single server at a time if your payment plan allows for you to hold that many - so make all of your alts and transfer in one go! The characters must have existed for more than three days prior to being available to server transfer. That gets people a lot.

The characters must have existed for more than three days prior to being available to server transfer.  

I saw that on the official page too, but was hoping it wouldn't be true since the other thing isn't true. Dangit. :frustrated:

Thanks for this idea, I actually just waited until when the servers opened again after the 3.3 patch and managed to barely sneak 3 character creations in. I did kinda rush the creation on one of them though, since I forgot to save an appearance earlier. 

Quick question regarding that. The "Phial of Fantasia" From the Mog Station Optional Items place seems to be the thing I need to fix the appearance on that character. Since it apparently lets me alter the race, gender, etc, I'm assuming it just opens up the exact same way of customization as the Character Creation itself had (short of class), right? Another thing: can it be used by a level 1 character? I'd like my appearance to be perfect before officially starting.

Also: How long is the queue and wait time to login to Balmung usually around 10PM PDT? After creating the three characters between 3:02AM-3:06AM PDT, each of them said there was a login queue of about 2100 players.

Thanks for this idea, I actually just waited until when the servers opened again after the 3.3 patch and managed to barely sneak 3 character creations in. I did kinda rush the creation on one of them though, since I forgot to save an appearance earlier. 

Quick question regarding that. The "Phial of Fantasia" From the Mog Station Optional Items place seems to be the thing I need to fix the appearance on that character. Since it apparently lets me alter the race, gender, etc, I'm assuming it just opens up the exact same way of customization as the Character Creation itself had (short of class), right? Another thing: can it be used by a level 1 character? I'd like my appearance to be perfect before officially starting.

Also: How long is the queue and wait time to login to Balmung usually around 10PM PDT? After creating the three characters between 3:02AM-3:06AM PDT, each of them said there was a login queue of about 2100 players.

Fantasia does exactly that: It lets you go back to character creation entirely. You can use it on any character at any level as long as they have one.

Queue times on Balmung aren't usually very long, but we just got a big content patch so it might be a little loaded for a few days. If the number is small (i.e., sub 100~ in line) you can usually cancel the queue and try to log in again, which skips the queue entirely. We don't know why, it just works.

Fantasia does exactly that: It lets you go back to character creation entirely. You can use it on any character at any level as long as they have one.

Queue times on Balmung aren't usually very long, but we just got a big content patch so it might be a little loaded for a few days. If the number is small (i.e., sub 100~ in line) you can usually cancel the queue and try to log in again, which skips the queue entirely. We don't know why, it just works.

Thank you for the information. I tried to purchase a Fantasia Phial, but it says I have no characters still. I'm guessing it's just because my characters are still newly made (not even entered the game yet technically).

How long will it be before the Lodestone and/or Mog Station actually realize I've made character(s)? I couldn't find anything on Google about a time estimate for that.

EDIT: Found someone saying that they "Waiting a long time" and no characters still were shown. Turns out they just had to actually login to the character before it showed on Lodestone/Mog Station. I'll try that when I'm back home.

Thank you for the information. I tried to purchase a Fantasia Phial, but it says I have no characters still. I'm guessing it's just because my characters are still newly made (not even entered the game yet technically).

How long will it be before the Lodestone and/or Mog Station actually realize I've made character(s)? I couldn't find anything on Google about a time estimate for that.

It should update them once you take them through the little tutorial portion of the opening game: You get to meet the adventurer's guildmaster of your city and then it spits you out into the world proper.

Worth noting, though, is that you'll get a free fantasia as your one-month subscriber reward, so if you don't mind looking off-model for a short bit you can skip paying extra money for it. There's a list of the full bonuses right here.

It should update them once you take them through the little tutorial portion of the opening game: You get to meet the adventurer's guildmaster of your city and then it spits you out into the world proper.

Worth noting, though, is that you'll get a free fantasia as your one-month subscriber reward, so if you don't mind looking off-model for a short bit you can skip paying extra money for it. There's a list of the full bonuses right here.

Thank you, it's all good now. I would have waited for the 30 day bonus, but I have 60 free days due to the fact I bought both the PC and PS4 versions (not Heavensward yet though). Since I won't be charged for a subscription until the 60 days (now 56) runs out, I just paid the $10 and did it.

I truly played some for the first time last night, no RP'ing yet since I'm still too new to the game entirely. Just looked around at the insanely huge population, doing some started quests, and stumbled on the random RP's and watched some.

you do run into people who hate RP and want to troll RPers

That's quite true. Literally the very first thing I saw in chat when I logged in (that wasn't an NPC/System thing) was someone shouting "FREEKUPTUS" or the like, then "ISN'T THERE ANY NORMAL PEOPLE ON BALMUNG?!?!" in Limsa Lominsa's starting area. A number of people were against him and a number were with him.:roll: