[SPOILERS] 3.3 Warring Triad, Regula van Hydrus, and Magitek Implications

Okay so we have folks talking about the MSQs in other threads but I've seen nobody bring this up yet...

During the Warring Triad quest we learn a few key pieces of information. First and foremost we learn our little masked and robed friend has the Echo and is apparently from a whole 'nuther world/star which from his description is reminiscent again of FF6 and the World of Ruin (it can be argued that Auracite has also been used in FFXII/Tactics to summon/bestow one's self with power and we don't know what happened to Ivalice after Vagrant Story, but FF6 fits the referential material more).

He also has some mysterious power with the Echo that is yet again different from the WoL's but we don't know what that is yet. This adds another layer of complication to the Echo as...since he's from another world we have to wonder how he came about having the Echo.

The other rather interesting curiosity to drop from this solo-instance is that Regula van Hydrus has shown us some of the hidden power of magitek weaponry. Apparently he has inhibitors/limiters on his hybrid blunderbuss/greatsword which when released allow for a massively destructive ceruleum discharge. That makes sense...but what really got me was the massive Ceruleum Servant and the name of his DPS check ability called Servant Enkindle.

Other than being a reference to Kefka with the tiger, the ability seemed to imply that the Garleans have found a way to create familiars/servants of a sort that are slaved to their weapons via ceruleum. Given that ceruleum is essentially liquid aether, this magickal property makes sense and the fact that it could only shield van Hydrus from attacks also seems to make sense since the Garleans have no natural means of controlling aether. This would mean it can only attack when the weapon the servant is slaved to is prepared to attack.

I don't see this being a thing common to magitek weaponry as van Hydrus' words seemed to imply his weapon was a special case (especially since we've never seen a Garlean do this before). It also appeared to be a last ditch effort as using it immediately ended the fight, left ceruleum residue everywhere and likely drained the ceruleum reserves from his weapon leaving it no longer "enhancing his bladework by tenfold" as he stated.

I'm curious to know what the RPC thinks about this. Feel free to discuss.

It actually explains why the likes of Gaius and Livia also had such flashy abilities despite their lack of an ability to wield magic. I'm very happy with this revelation since it's likely to be a major boost for Garlean role-players and it also has the benefit of making magitek much more of a mysterious threat.

When sheathed, at least, the Ravana (EX) weapons glow a 'ceruleum blue' and red during battle itself. They might make for a good way to reflect an empowered ceruleum weapon for Garlean role-players.

I also really like Regula. I hope he remains loyal to the Emperor and that, if he does pull a 'Kefka', he betrays the Emperor due to corruption rather than of his own free will to add a measure of tragedy to his story.

I have to say, though, that stuff like this makes me much more inclined to play a Pureblood Garlean - especially since Regula actually teleported away from danger. It's a shame we didn't get an explanation for that...but it suggests that there's ways for Garleans to teleport despite their inability to use aetherytes.

I'm not so sure he teleported. My guess is that he pulled a flashbang of sorts to blind everyone that did not affect him since he was wearing his helm which would have protected him against it (though why this would affect Y'shtola is a mystery but then we don't know the full nature of her vision either). While everyone was blinded he ran. I believe that makes more sense for Garleans than some manner of teleportation.

As for him pulling a betrayal of the Emperor...well his full name "Regulus van Hydrus" translates to "Rule of the Serpent" in a combination of Latin and Dutch (Regula = Latin for "rule", van = "for/of" in Dutch, Hydrus = Latin for "water-snake"). Take that as you will.

What most excited me about the quest line is what sort of implications the masked guy being a herald of a multi-terrestrial protectorate. I am really curious to learn more, even with the idea that this entity is only going to play a role in this questline.

I'm also REALLY looking forward to what the abilities of Magitrk mean for the next expansion, assuming that it takes place in Ala Mhigo. Could mean some damn crazy fights.

During the Warring Triad quest we learn a few key pieces of information. First and foremost we learn our little masked and robed friend has the Echo and is apparently from a whole 'nuther world/star which from his description is reminiscent again of FF6 and the World of Ruin (it can be argued that Auracite has also been used in FFXII/Tactics to summon/bestow one's self with power and we don't know what happened to Ivalice after Vagrant Story, but FF6 fits the referential material more).

Auracite is strictly Ivalice. So XII, Tactics, Tactics Advance and Vagrant.

VI's magicite is the result of an esper dying/losing all of its power. The themes are similar, but the actual material of Auracite is much much different.

Auracite is strictly Ivalice. So XII, Tactics, Tactics Advance and Vagrant.

VI's magicite is the result of an esper dying/losing all of its power. The themes are similar, but the actual material of Auracite is much much different.

I had to recheck my sources but you're right. Interesting that they would choose to use the term "Auracite" then given that "Magicite" is not an outdated or mistranslated term in the least. (though I do know they've used auracite before in FFXIV for the "white auracite" in the MSQ, this is really the first time we've had the materiel referenced as containing power indefinitely and using it to summon that power unto yourself. Tactics references abound!)