Hi, hello, hullo, howdy! A lurkers welcome thread.

Yes! Hi! I'm Sherrydile, also known as "Lucilynn Faust" on Balmug. I've been playing FFXIV for a few months and have been wanting to break into the RP scene, I've done some lurking, both on the site and have attended roleplay events as a wallflower but I've been hindered in actually attending and interacting by my own timidness!

Anyway, I'm going to fill out that template thing, since that's easy.

MMORPG Background: I've played my share of MMOs, most of my time was spent in WoW but last year I just gave up on the game and MMO hopped for awhile, mostly playing TERA and Blade and Soul, but neither could really hold my attention for too long despite BnS being rather fun. I had played FFXIV about two years before and the game didn't really click with me until now. Other than that, I've tried a few other MMOs but none have lasted nearly as long as the ones I mentioned above.

RP Experience: I'd say I've been RPing for at least three years, maybe more, most if not all of that time spent in WoW. I think I'm okay at roleplay, I try to keep my spelling and grammar in check and I try to come up with fun and unique ideas for characters, but no one is perfect, right?

Character ideas/info: It's kind of up in the air since I fantasia'd to Au'Ra, I thought about tying that into my character but it seems the opinions of fantasia usage are split between loathing and tolerating so I'm apprehensive to try that. All I know for certain is that Lucilynn is an amateur writer with a cold and serious outer shell accompanied by ambitious and bizarre insides. 

How did I find out about the coalition?: When I RPed on WoW, I used to run a tumblr blog to accompany my character and their hijinks. Some folks I followed left WoW to pursue other games like FFXIV and that lead to sharing information on websites and resources for roleplaying on FFXIV.

What kind of a roleplayer am I aiming to be?: Medium seems to be the best, I want to be able to do everything the game has to offer and so far all I have been doing is content and glamour hunting.

Anything in my life that I feel comfortable sharing?: I work nights and I really should have gone to bed by now.

And that's that! I'm excited and nervous to be here and I'm looking forward to making new friends and have fun roleplaying! Also goodnight! I'll be back later to meet some of you!

Hello! As I'm sure you've no doubt noticed, Balmung's a pretty packed server when it comes to gatherings and get-togethers. Hashing out a character's identity is one of the more challenging things we have to do when getting started, so I think we can all relate to "I'm not sure how this character is just yet."

A couple of things that might help steer your direction:

-Literacy in Eorzea is nowhere near the standards we're used to in real life, so knowing how to read and write definitely implies some sort of educated background or guided instruction

-Despite this, there are several instances of newspapers and printed documentation so there are definitely writers! The Ossuary in Ul'dah is like, 95% books and 5% lalafell.

-If your character writes, that implies education. Education implies money or some sort of better-off upbringing. You can use that to catapult around to really anywhere you want to be in the world!

Honestly, the illiteracy interjection makes absolutely no sense with the world design and common elements such as newspapers, newsletters, and fan clubs. I feel like it just wasn't thought through.

I've encountered a couple of writer characters before, and I don't think people really bat an eyelash at the idea - and I think that's a terrific hook for a character!

Welcome to the RPC and into the spotlight! :)

Thank for the warm welcomes and helpful suggestions for my character, I think I have a good idea of what I want! I know the name doesn't follow typical Raen naming conventions, so would it be believable that an Au Ra were to travel from Orthard to Eorzea and adopt a name they believe is more inconspicuous? I don't believe I've encountered it in-game, but in real life it happens all the time, so I'm not sure.

Also Aya, I think I might've ran into during my more talkative wallflower moments, nice to see you again (maybe, I can't remember :V)!

I wouldn't see that as being far off. I know many a miqo'te that go with more hyur names for one reason or another. Could also be a writers pen name, prehaps only people closest to her know her real one.

My name isn't lore friendly as well, but I made her before I really got into RP and name changes weren't a thing back then. Plus...liked the name. I worked around it. She ended up having an eccentric mother who was way into Doman lit - named her daughters from books she had read.