Regarding Gelmorran Ruins...

But, real person talk here - tornadoes are not "malicious," but they still kill the shit out of people.

Tornadoes are also insentient. But I supposs this bring sup the (probably stupid) question of, are all the Elementals sentient, are merely semiconscious? I feel like with some exceptions that the more metaphysical something is the less sentience they show at least in the mortal plain (INB4 someone mentions Oha-Sok)

On a related note, Hydaelyn's being sentient has been confirmed from the get go since we were able to visit her plain of existence several times.

The Elementals are sentient, yes. They are aware of what they are doing, but do not necessarily work of the same sort of moral set or values that people do.

They most likely didn't send the Ixali because the Ixali were already in their own shitpile for tearing the forest up in fits of rage.  They actually got exiled for destroying swaths of the forest because they were mad there were mortals there.

Well that's the thing then. Elementals didn't care about mortals underground.

In that case Ixali got exiled for making a hissy fit when elementals couldn't give a shit about it.

They most likely didn't send the Ixali because the Ixali were already in their own shitpile for tearing the forest up in fits of rage.  They actually got exiled for destroying swaths of the forest because they were mad there were mortals there.

Well that's the thing then. Elementals didn't care about mortals underground.

In that case Ixali got exiled for making a hissy fit when elementals couldn't give a shit about it.

Pretty sure the Gelmorrans weren't staying underground 100% of the time. Probably because they did need to get food sometimes.

Oh I'm sure they probably poached here and there, although from what I gather the elementals were kinda not forgiving at all when a single elezen or hyur got to wander and got to hunt them down pretty fast, contrary to the current day where they can roam around freely since well... Gridania.

For all we know, they had underground cultures too. I fail to see how you can feed such a large population without any proper agriculture, by just living of hunting/gathering methods in a land that will systematically try to kill you as soon as you step in it...

Oh I'm sure they probably poached here and there, although from what I gather the elementals were kinda not forgiving at all when a single elezen or hyur got to wander and got to hunt them down pretty fast, contrary to the current day where they can roam around freely since well... Gridania.

For all we know, they had underground cultures too. I fail to see how you can feed such a large population without any proper agriculture, by just living of hunting/gathering methods in a land that will systematically try to kill you as soon as you step in it...

Well, it is a fantasy setting. I find it hard to believe that they'd be able to sustain themselves on lichen for a long period of time. :lol: