Character Help (Raen AuRa)

Hello! I'm new to RPC, so before I joined the community, I wanted to get my character's backstory checked out and see if it all makes sense, or if I should change anything. This is my first post, so I'm going to try to keep it short and simple.

Reiko Kaminchu

Early Life: Rei's family owned a temple situated high up a mountain in northeastern Doma. It acted as not only a place of worship, but also as an aid station for people traveling the mountain and seeking shelter. She was raised mainly by her grandmother, her father worked in the city below the mountain as an engineer, and her mother split her time between them. Her grandmother taught her how to tend to their shrine and temple, as well as how to commune with the spirits(elements). She was taught to worship them as guardians of their mountain, on top of the worship of the Dawn Father, since she's a Raen. She learned to heal the injuries of those who came to their temple and could harness the elements of wind and ice for the occasion that offensive skills were needed. (I basically think of her as a FFXIV version of a Japanese shrine maiden.)

Early Teens: After her grandmother's passing, she assumed full responsibility over the temple, and lived there with her little sister. Her mother took to coming around more often, but still spent most of her time down in the city. Occasionally, her mother would switch with Rei, allowing her to visit her father for brief stays. She developed an interest in his work and learned a bit from him, but couldn't stay long enough to learn the trade fully.

Late Teens/Current Day: Now parts of this is under the assumption that the revolt and subsequent sacking of Doma didn't happen overnight, and took a few months, maybe a year. As well as accounting for the time it took to sail over to Eorzea. It's all easily moved if the timing doesn't add up though.

Her mother and father immediately took up arms as the Domans rose up in defiance against the Garlean Empire. Rei joined them for a time, but the fight was very one-sided, and Doma was losing. Her mother was killed in the fighting, and her father mortally wounded. Before he dies, he orders Rei to take her little sister and flee with the other refugees to Eorzea. She runs with her unwilling sister and boards one of the many ships fleeing the devastation.

Upon arriving in Eorzea, she and her sister sought temporary shelter in a variety of places, before turning their sights on the place that was most like their home. They were met with hostility by the Ishgardians, who had only recently opened their city to outsiders, and had assumed Au Ra to be Dravanians at first. Luckily they didn't get mobbed. Without the means to sustain both herself and her sister, Rei leaves her with some family friends who took up residence in The Shroud, where she'd be better looked after.

Now, she works as an airship engineer. She worked under the employment of the Grand Companies, performing routine maintenance with other engineers on the airship ferries between the cities. With that and some commission work for private airship owners, she made enough to get by and earn a respectable name for herself in the engineering community. Eventually she was offered a position at Garlond Ironworks, where she was able to hone her craft further.

And that's it! Thank you for reading, if you made it down here. I'd love some feedback, especially on lore bits that I might have misunderstood. I'd like to be accurate, without sacrificing the concept of priestess-turned-engineer. So if there's anything wrong, please let me know!

Now parts of this is under the assumption that the revolt and subsequent sacking of Doma didn't happen overnight, and took a few months, maybe a year. As well as accounting for the time it took to sail over to Eorzea. It's all easily moved if the timing doesn't add up though.

I'd love some feedback, especially on lore bits that I might have misunderstood. I'd like to be accurate, without sacrificing the concept of priestess-turned-engineer. So if there's anything wrong, please let me know!

The rebellion and subsequent razing of Doma may not have happened overnight but it definitely happened in less than a month, more likely a week or two at most. We have a specific timeframe for the start of the Doman revolt, that being the death of the First Emperor of the Garlean Empire, Solus zos Galvus, which began the War of Succession in Garlemald. The Domans believed the Garleans would be distracted enough finding an heir to the throne that they could drive the empire out. Their efforts failed and the city was razed in retaliation.

For many years' date=' my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.[/quote']

Here are some lore links you might find helpful for your character!

-Doma Lore

-Garlean Empire Lore

-Airship Lore (airship info is towards the bottom!)

I find the concept original and refreshing.

Also, I know that's not a connections thread but I can't let pass engineers just like that so... if you are interested in meeting other tinkerers IC, don't hesitate to reach me out!