Sharlayan Au Ra?

Ryss

Hi there!

I am a stickler for lore and I absolutely hate breaking it. If it could make sense, I'm alright with bending it; however, I prefer to make characters that appeal to more lore-heavy roleplayers. Bending so the character is unique, yet plausible for the world? A-okay.

My issue is that I can't seem to find a lot of Au Ra lore! It looks like they are very rare in Eorzea and haven't spread out too much beyond Othard.

What I'd like to do is have Qo'an be Sharlayan, mostly because I play as an Astrologian and would like to roleplay that as well. Also because I like the little gizmos a lot of Sharlayan scholars have, like those neat goggles.

I'd like for her to somehow have a connection to her race as well – perhaps knowing how to read bones and / or blood spatters and learning that when young - but I'm not too sure if that could work with a 30 year old character. Her mother / father could have passed down some writings, but I seem to recall Xaela not having a writing system.

I was thinking of potentially having Qo'an's mother give birth as a refugee in Sharlayan or having her abandoned as a babe / young child due to a physical disability to a Sharlayan cartographer in Othard (if that is an occupation for them). The latter could be interesting to roleplay, as I enjoy characters with physical flaws.

So here are my main questions..

- Are Sharlayan Au Ra possible lore-wise? I can't find any hard evidence that says 'no', but I'd like to stick with popular opinion.

- If I do this, what is an appropriate age? I am trying to keep her around late 20s, early 30s.

- I am a little confused on the time line for the Sharlayan migration. They began as an island nation, migrated to Eorzea, and then withdrew back to their island at the Garlean threat after the fall of Ala Mhigo? Was the island nation still occupied during this time?

Thank you for your time and help, and I apologize if any answers to the above questions are found in obvious places. I checked the wiki and tried to do some research online, but I couldn't come up with very concrete answers.. unless I dun goofed.

- Are Sharlayan Au Ra possible lore-wise? I can't find any hard evidence that says 'no', but I'd like to stick with popular opinion.

Theoretically, they are entirely possible, even though we've not seen them represented to the best of my knowledge. Here's why,

They’re always trying to learn about everything. They went to Eorzea so they could gain knowledge on that place so of course they probably sent parties into Dravania to study up on them and they would have known about the dragons as well. Their whole thing is they’re a city state of knowledge and they gather it and use that knowledge. They send people out everywhere around the world and bring it back to their island nation. Sharlayan in Eorzea was basically an outpost. So saying they weren’t connected would be a lie because it was more to educate people.

This suggests that at one point in time there may have been Sharlayan colonies in Othard or other Au Ra populated areas as well. And we know from several characters (Thancred, for example) that Sharlayans will take people of other nations and bring them back to their nation to teach them. To me, this makes the possibility of a Sharlayan Au Ra viable. Alternatively though, a Xaelan group might have attempted to journey to Sharlayan at some point in history as well. We know the Xaela have come to Eorzea in three instances before, and that they've also cropped up in Ilsabard, so I don't see why you couldn't swing an Sharlayan Au Ra.

- If I do this, what is an appropriate age? I am trying to keep her around late 20s, early 30s.

This depends on if you're desiring a Sharlayan Au Ra from the Old World or from the Sharlayan Dravanian colony. The first allows for any desired age range. The latter is a bit more complicated, as the Dravanian colony was abandoned 15 years ago for the Old World in the north seas.

- I am a little confused on the time line for the Sharlayan migration. They began as an island nation, migrated to Eorzea, and then withdrew back to their island at the Garlean threat after the fall of Ala Mhigo? Was the island nation still occupied during this time?

Sharlayan, or the Old World, has been occupied since its founding at least 1300 years ago. The Sharlayan colony in Dravania was founded nearly 300 years ago and was only abandoned 15 years ago in the Year 1562 after 5 years of peace negotiations between Garlemald and Sharlayan fell apart. More lore on Sharlayan can be found in the links below.

-Sharlayan and Colony Lore Masterpost

-Additional Sharlayan Lore

-Racial Lore Compilation (There's a small Au Ra tab in there as well!)

-Eorzean Settlements History

Hope this helps! ^^

Sounsyy, thank you *so* much!! That is an awesome compilation of lore and I had so much fun reading through it today.

Sena, I'm glad to hear that I won't be the only one around!

I'm excited that this will work and will get started on fleshing Qo'an out (finally).

Thanks a bunch!