Au Ra Horns and Scales

Etoile

I found this while considering the workings of Au Ra horns and scales in RP. Just thought someone else might want to read or comment. The entire article is pretty interesting, I've only included a small snippet. :D

"Crocodiles and alligators are notorious for their thick skin and well-armored bodies. So it comes as something of a surprise to learn that their sense of touch is one of the most acute in the animal kingdom.

The crocodilian sense of touch is concentrated in a series of small, pigmented domes that dot their skin all over their body. In alligators, the spots are concentrated around their face and jaws.

A new study, published in the Nov. 8 issue of the Journal of Experimental Biology, has discovered that these spots contain a concentrated collection of touch sensors that make them even more sensitive to pressure and vibration than human fingertips."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121108073633.htm

I asked a bunch of questions about au ra biology for one of the Live Letters and the response was basically "lore book!".

It better deliver or I'm going to end up relentlessly continuing to mix in every bit of nonsensical, contradictory "that might be cool/cute/funny/a neat reference to real life biology/an amusing reference to fictional tropes that make no sense" I can get my grubby little hands on. >_>

I'd really love to know more about the horn-ears. So interesting. Hopefully the lore book is out soon!

Funnily enough, I've now had two extensive conversations about the speculative biology of Au Ra horns and their sense of hearing. I'm also really excited to see if any of the theories the conversation group has had turn out to be the case!

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, it'd be nice if someone shared haha xD I wonder if I can ask someone with the Lorebook to share what's written in it about said horns and scales and whatnot ; u ;

This is my longer transcript of the lore panel Q&A answer, btw:

More info in the lore book, but also: it's hard for a tail or horn to be removed. They don't shed. They grow continuously until they reach a certain size then stop. They don't grow super long. If they're damaged, in a fall or in battle, they will slowly regrow until they reach the maximum size again. The horns themselves are hollow and the vibration of sound inside them aids their hearing. Is their hearing better than a lalafell who are supposed to have the best hearing? No their hearing is about as good as a hyur, just in a different way - hear it / process it differently. More in the lore book!

They kept saying "more info in the lore book", both then and when I asked au ra questions at a PLL before, but I've still yet to see anything come out of the lore book that we didn't already know. :(

Raen

Distribution: Yanxia (Doma), the Far East

Physical Attributes: The Au Ra are unique among Eorzea's races in the extreme height disparity observed between genders. While male Au Ra can reach towering heights of over eighty ilms, females are short and slight, averaging no more than sixty. Their hardened skin and scaled tails, too, distinguish them clearly from other races. They take great pride in the majestic horns on the sides of their head, which also serve to enhance their hearing and sense of spatial perception.

Xaela

Distrubution: The Azim Steppe

Physical Attributes: In contrast to the brilliant white scales of the Raen, the Xaela, children of the Dusk Mother, take pride in their scales of lustrous black. While their size and stature is almost identical to that of the Raen, their physical strength, hardened by generations of war and conflict, far outstrips that of other races.

-Page 091, Encyclopedia Eorzea

This is all I've currently found specifically about their scales or horns. There may be more, but I've been busy since I got back from FanFest, and I haven't been able to thoroughly pour over the book just yet. This is specifically listed under the section for Au Ra.