Greetings!

SalemTorr

I'm a new visitor to the community, and I'm considering picking up FFXIV primarily for RP as well as to get involved in an enjoyable PvE and PvP experience. I'm curious if anyone here in the RP community might be able to give me some good places to check out for info, or anything I should be aware of before I pick up the game.

Few things, I've never played anything FF related that wasn't a Kingdom Hearts entry. I've RP'd in SWTOR, WoW, and GW2 - should I expect a similar type of community (Much of it seemed toxic to me as a RP'r.).

Lastly is there the possibility I might be able to find a bit of a mentor to get me into the universe RP wise? I have a basic concept for my main character's story, but knowing little to no lore I'm unsure how I'll take the idea I've used in the past and build from it.

Thanks for the read everyone - and the responses if you take the time!

Biggest thing I can mention is that the biggest RP server - Balmung - is full to the point that you cannot create a character on it to begin with. You will have to make one (or, preferably, multiple since you can bulk move from one server to another) on another server and then pay the $18 transfer fee to bring them over. That, or you can try one of the other bastions of RP here and there across other servers, but I'm far less informed on where those all are and their level of activity.

As for what lore you might need to know, a lot of it is self-contained with the references to the other games basically staying just as references. Knowledge about them is a bonus, but not required. Going through the Main Story Quest (MSQ) chain will provide the bulk of the information you'll want... but you're also free to check the lore discussion section on the forums here for more information - or even just ask what questions you have in this very thread! Someone will most certainly pipe up and provide you with what they can to help you with your idea.

I hope that all helps, and I look forward to hearing you joining our numbers in FFXIV. :)

Biggest thing I can mention is that the biggest RP server - Balmung - is full to the point that you cannot create a character on it to begin with. You will have to make one (or, preferably, multiple since you can bulk move from one server to another) on another server and then pay the $18 transfer fee to bring them over. That, or you can try one of the other bastions of RP here and there across other servers, but I'm far less informed on where those all are and their level of activity.

As for what lore you might need to know, a lot of it is self-contained with the references to the other games basically staying just as references. Knowledge about them is a bonus, but not required. Going through the Main Story Quest (MSQ) chain will provide the bulk of the information you'll want... but you're also free to check the lore discussion section on the forums here for more information - or even just ask what questions you have in this very thread! Someone will most certainly pipe up and provide you with what they can to help you with your idea.

I hope that all helps, and I look forward to hearing you joining our numbers in FFXIV. :)

I truly appreciate such a quick response. I'm feeling inclined to pick the game up and spend my whole weekend getting to know it.

Hey! Welcome to RPC. I can't say much about GW2 or SWTOR but I roleplayed on WoW for a really long time, in my opinion the Final Fantasy RP community is way better. There are hardly any trolls and everyone is really nice to each other. I had so much IC and OOC drama on WoW compared to FF that it's a nice fresh breath of air. I enjoy it.

The one downside I can think of though, is that most of the roleplay takes place on Balmung and Gilgamesh servers. Those servers are so packed that the only way to get onto them is by creating a character on a low pop server and then transferring them for 18 dollars. The plus side to transferring on Final Fantasy compared to WoW is that you can transfer multiple characters under the same transfer. So if you create all 8 characters, you can transfer those eight to the same server for the flat rate of 18 dollars. 

There are alternatives to Balmung and Gilgamesh, like Jenova... I heard they have a small RP community. But if you want walk ups and roleplay going on, on the regular, Balmung and Gilgamesh are your best choices. 

If you have questions on your character concept compared to the lore or have any lore questions in general, you can ask me.. but there are plenty of people who are better at the lore than me. You can also post lore questions on RPC and you can get pretty good answers there!

Damnit Chachan, you sneaky little bastard. I was going to be the first poster! lol

I'm really glad to read that 'SapphireSkylines', and between the two responses I'm already working on picking up the bundle. Spending a little bit of money on an MMO for me has never been an issue. In the last 2 years I've probably spent more on my MMO desires then I have food. But I'm still searching for something that truly captures my attention.

I truly hope this is the end of my search for a few years.

One last little tidbit I can probably offer if you're planning to get it and try it out - Recruit-a-Friend.

If you have someone to join with you, or are willing to have someone already playing throw a Recruit-a-Friend code at you (there's a whole thread of folks with them on the official forums, I've put a code or two up there myself), you can use Recruit-a-Friend for a few nice items. Most notably being an all-class headpiece item that gives bonus experience up to level 20 (or 25, I can't quite recall which), and some feathers that can be turned in for various goodies. The recruiter's feathers can be turned in for mounts and such (which is why everyone throws out the codes so freely), the recruitee's are for some easy equipment at some of the higher levels.

... Plus you also get a fistbump emote if you're into fistbumping. :lol:

It's not particularly needed, but it's a handy boost through the early game and if/when you level other classes.

DID SOMEBODY SAY KINGDOM HEARTS!?

I mean, hi, yes, hello!

Prior to FFXIV, I'd also only played KH games and no FF games. Fortunately, you don't need to be well-versed in FF games to understand this game (though a basic understanding doesn't hurt--and there's no shortage of references to older FF games for those who do enjoy them). As for the community, FFXIV is an MMO and has a community similar to any other MMO, afaik. If you play on Balmung, I don't really find it to be very "toxic" to role-players, as most RP servers are typically rather friendly and accepting. I'm glad to answer any questions you have about RP in XIV, as are most people here, I'm sure!