A wild Miqo'te lancer appears!

Caleria Amih

Well, I did transfer over a while ago, and I have been meaning to finally dip my toes in to some roleplaying around here... so why not?

I've been lurking for a while, mostly looking at RP events I never seem to end up going to or tips on how to be a better roleplayer, but I figure it's high time I hammered out some backgrounds and got my feet wet- though I'm a bit nervous because it's my first RP character on FFXIV and I really don't want to step on people's toes and get called out on lore-screwups or something. :)

As for me?

--MMORPG background - Some WoW, some Champions, pretty much dabbled in most of everything until I found some good fits for me.

--RP experience - A good bit in WoW, some message board and chat online, also some tabletop experience (Pathfinder, etc.)

--Character ideas/info - Currently I just have Caleria, but there's one more waiting in the wings, just needing a backstory and a past...

--How did you learn about the coalition? - I searched the Google for things about FFXIV roleplaying, and this place popped up.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy? - Medium to heavy.  I don't mind immersion, but I'm also not 100% on the lore yet, and I really don't want to screw up while playing...

--Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc) - I write fiction from time to time, and honestly, FFXIV looks to be pretty inspiring in that department!

Heyy! A fellow newbie to the server like me! :D Welcome welcome! I'm on the same boat with you regarding the FF14 lore haha. I'm afraid to dive fully into it as well, not wanting to disappoint or embarrass myself in front of others.

Hope to see/learn more of your character!

If it helps, a lot of the lore of the world is self-contained in the game itself. You'll pick up a lot of the details just from playing the game. The more nuanced bits might take a bit of uncovering, but folks like our resident loremaster Sounsyy have done a lot of the legwork on that already and can likely answer any lore questions you have. Just look around in the Lore section of the forums - or just straight up ask in a thread of your own (either there or in this very thread!) - and you should be able to find (almost) all the answers you seek!

Welcome to the RPC & Balmung RP!

Diving into a new form of RP can always be intimidating I imagine. I had never RPed before giving it a try in Rift which, horrible RP community there. Eventually made my way over to FFXIV and without knowing it at the time, upon logging in was right after a maintenance I guess as I managed to create a character on Balmung without even trying to, nor knowing what the serve was used for.

But either way, was especially nerve wracking for me at first as I was completely green. Looking at the RPC here didn't make me feel much better when I'd see people talking about 5, 15,20yrs experience with various forms of RP.

Lucky for people like us, Balmung is large enough you can almost always find what you are looking for, or people willing to help you out whether with lore advice, pvp or pve content. The RPC here is also an excellent place to measure how acceptable your character is according to the lore in-game.

If you have any specific questions just feel free to post them, or post the concept you have for your character and see what others think. Someone will be sure to help you out.