New classes announced

Kylin

I think that thinking about jobs along an FFXI level is completely off the mark in this game. They seem to be working real hard to center jobs around a weapon or task rather than around a specific class. I'm not sure there will be "Advanced Jobs." It seems to me more likely that there will be abilities that allow you to train more techniques with your current job.

Then again, I could be wrong!

I think Keir is making a very good point! I remember reading something about "Leveling" being absent from FFXIV. If this is so, the concept of job advancement/leveling like we saw in FFXI is completely inappropriate to compare FFXIV with: they are two very different job systems, they just look similar.

Can someone (perhaps in the Beta?) confirm if there is a concept similar to the leveling from 1-80 we saw in FFXI?

Yes (I believe this has already been stated in interviews so the NDA is intact!) Right now you level your physical level, which is what you are used to, as well as your weapon level, which increases your effectiveness within your given class as well as gives you your abilities.

Of course it occurs to me that the allocation of skill/attribute points (STR, DEX, INT, etc.), if they haven't changed it from the alpha, is still going to play a factor and may prove inhibitive for some classes if you sacrifice a lot of something in order to gain something else (i.e. lots of STR at the cost of a minimal INT score). I can see how if someone wanted to play several jobs, or dabble even, this may prove difficult with only one character if they wanted to excel at one in particular. I was happy being a skilled dragoon in FFXI with a mediocre black mage for when it was needed (which, imo, was far too often). I suppose this post can apply to the "To alt or not to alt" thread as well...

I'd still consider Flayer as a sort of 'main melee' job if it became available, though I have enjoyed lancer and pugilist as well.

What I find myself wondering is whether, and to what degree, these attribute points would impact the Disciples of the Hand/Land jobs... like will MND make a difference for weaving, and STR for blacksmithing?

*happily jumps to her e-mails... and returns with a sad face shortly after*

Meh... Well, if someone would be as nice and tell me a bit about how leveling(I thought I heard there are no levels here.. Oh well, things do change.) a Disciple of the Hand works out thus far, that would be majorly nice.

Edit] Pretty much everything I know is, that they are able to repair other party members stuff and that you can "lvel up" by simple doing your merry crafting stuff.

How every this may look like, Im curious.

Digression from topic for technical support! :study:

Neilietheous, I'll bet you did the same thing I did... clicked on the word "REVEAL" next to the word "SPOILER" (in ArmachiA's first post on page 1), and nothing happened.

You, my friend, have JavaScript turned off. :D

If you're using Firefox, you're probably also using NoScript. Just allow "jquery.com" scripts to run, then go back to page 1 and click "REVEAL". The list of jobs will show up.

If you're not using Firefox... you should be! :D

(Seriously, though, I have absolutely no doubt that whatever browser you're using, we have somebody here who knows how to fix the problem. :D)

We now return to your regularly-scheduled forum.