Letter from the Producer Live XXXV

Kage

I am dumb. Only just realized that the RDM symbol is literally a cross mix of WHM and BLM

Except the White Mage symbol is upside down.

That's rather interesting.

Well it would look odd for a rapier to point down?

I am dumb. Only just realized that the RDM symbol is literally a cross mix of WHM and BLM

It would. But traditionally, inverting a symbol indicates there's something amiss or wrong, or in distress. It's just....interesting.

It would.  But traditionally, inverting a symbol indicates there's something amiss or wrong, or in distress.  It's just....interesting.

That was my first thought too! Then I realise that they just inverted it in order to avoid confusion, to make it completely distinct from the ordinary white mage symbol at a glance.

C-fwBfOUMAArSR3.jpg

I like that a lot. It's very opulent and it aligns rather nicely with what we've seen of Kugane in the previews. I am clinging to the hope that the city maintains its current stance towards Garlemald and ends up serving as a hub where both Garlean and Eorzean characters alike can walk about. That would serve to stir up a lot of intrigue within the community and make things a bit more nuanced and interesting across the board. Especially if direct violence was prohibited for the sake of keeping the peace.

I suppose we'll see how things go in regards to the MSQ's though. Some of the most enjoyable role-play I engaged in back in WoW took place in the neutral settlements where sworn enemies were forced to tolerate each other and work alongside each other for the sake of the greater good.

It would.  But traditionally, inverting a symbol indicates there's something amiss or wrong, or in distress.  It's just....interesting.

That was my first thought too! Then I realise that they just inverted it in order to avoid confusion, to make it completely distinct from the ordinary white mage symbol at a glance.

Sigh. YOU RUIN EVERYTHING! :P