"Legacy World" Server Names Unchanged

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62075-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-VII-Q-A-Updates?p=998027&viewfull=1#post998027

Q12: I would like to know about the World names that will be ready at launch and also which of those Worlds will be prepared for legacy/new players.

A12: The Worlds used in version 1.0 (a.k.a Legacy Worlds) will remain as is. Also, those Worlds will have the "Legacy" tag at the end of the World name. As far as Worlds for new players, it will be announced via the Developers' Blog so please stay tuned!

So it seems that Balmung will still exist as Balmung, and will be one of the many "Legacy Worlds."

This is good news! It means we don't have to worry about the RPC's current server changing on everyone. One less thing to worry about.

I wonder if that means, as a new player, I can't join the world you guys are all in? Or if the Legacy after the name is simply to signify that it's not a brand new world.

You can still join the legacy servers. The tag is there for new players to realise that they're joining a server with 1.0 people. Which means a server filled with people that have tons of gil and all kinds of equips. Basically a big warning sign for the new players.

But you can still join them

I think this creates as many new questions as it addresses...

Is there any benefit to being on a Legacy world?

Will there still be a designated RP server?

Can we transfer existing characters to a new server?

If Balmung is designated the RP-friendly server, will new RPers be able to join it? (seems to be addressed by Ronberku above)

You can still join the legacy servers. The tag is there for new players to realise that they're joining a server with 1.0 people. Which means a server filled with people that have tons of gil and all kinds of equips. Basically a big warning sign for the new players.

Well that's mildly frightening. I know how angry gamers can get whenever they have to deal with a "noob". As hard as I try to understand everything, it's a little worrisome that I might be be joining an entire world of players who will consider me an idiot lol.

Well that's mildly frightening. I know how angry gamers can get whenever they have to deal with a "noob". As hard as I try to understand everything, it's a little worrisome that I might be be joining an entire world of players who will consider me an idiot lol.

No need to worry about it. FFXIV community has always been more mature than most other games. And there will be plenty of other new players joining. What I'm more afraid off is the sudden "server is full" message. Preventing people to join it.

With Yoshi-P making mention of a possible RP server, I wonder if Balmung will be tagged RE. With LOTRO, there is a Roleplay Encouraged server that was tagged that way after an official RP server launched. I hope they don't split the community this way.

The problem with them labeling it RP now, is another server was merged with us already. So you have all those non-RPers, plus all those from Besaid that didn't RP. It's not fair to "take" their server. That's why LOTRO would have called it RE. They've confirmed they're adding servers already. I wonder what their plans are for this. A lodestone poll of the community would be nice to see.

Well, they could do one of two things to fix this problem in my opinion.

1. Create a new RP server that allows for both new and legacy players, and offer free server transfers to legacy players at launch.

2. Label Balmung as an official RP server and, once again, offer free server transfers to legacy players at launch.

That way, those who want to RP can have their own server and those who don't want to RP can leave.

It might break up a few of the more casual linkshells with members who haven't stayed in contact since 1.0 went down, but it's the cleanest way to solve the problem.

Well, they could do one of two things to fix this problem in my opinion.

1. Create a new RP server that allows for both new and legacy players, and offer free server transfers to legacy players at launch.

2. Label Balmung as an official RP server and, once again, offer free server transfers to legacy players at launch.

That way, those who want to RP can have their own server and those who don't want to RP can leave.

It might break up a few of the more casual linkshells with members who haven't stayed in contact since 1.0 went down, but it's the cleanest way to solve the problem.

That's my thoughts exactly. And it doesn't seem too hard to pull off. The former seems like it would be very easy at least.

Is anyone else concerned with the fact that the legacy servers will already have the 1.0 players plus the influx of new players. What if we get lucky and balmung is designated an RP server and it gets full too quickly after launch? Make a character on another server and transfer when the option is available?

I don't think they will be labeling Balmung as the official server anytime soon or another for that matter. I think they prefer to keep it unofficial. Certainly the end game shell I am in, a number of them are saying they would leave, if it was made a rp server. Regardless I plan on staying on Balmung and if they were to name another server the official one, I think it would just cause to much trouble,