Nel's Streaming Movie Night

Hey all! Nel has a great idea! She would like to get together once a month and run a movie night through her livestream. We can all kick back, watch a movie together, and have a good time. So, here's what we're looking for. Suggestions of movies to watch (no X rating), and suggestions of a night that's good for people! Post and let us know!

I don't have the time to really sit down and watch movies much right now. That'll be changing soon.

A lot depends on what everyone likes to watch, for instance. I'd happily sit through another viewing of Session 9, but not everyone likes psychological horror films against a backdrop of asbestos removal.

Session 9 was great!  I haven't been able to get into most of the movies played so far (waiting for someone to suggest Napolean Dynamite).

One of my guilty favorites has always been Sin City

I'm usually free a lot of the time, so I suppose just supply a date and time along with a link.

As for movies, I'm not one for romance movies unless there's some chaotic comedy involved, but most of the time I enjoy a good old movie such as the works of Alfred Hitchcock, or silent comedy like Chaplin... newer classic movies... I don't know, but perhaps my choices may be a bit of a drag.... so maybe something more recent...

Bucket list

Rocky horror picture show

The last castle

Gran torino

Million dollar baby

Shawshank redemption

Monty python and the holy grail

Kingpin

Edit in: Any of the Naked Gun movies

The untouchables

League of extraordinary gentlemen

Bad news bears (the original)

Coming to America

A league of their own

Teen wolf

Back to the future

Terminator

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Star wars

Star trek

Stargate

Kill bill

The good, the bad, and the ugly

For a few dollars & for a few dollars more

Hang em high

Pale rider

Two mules for sister Sarah

Toro toro!

The green berets

Flight of the navigator

Cocoon

Folks!

Hunt for Red October

Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War

Empire of the Sun

The Shinning

The Green Mile

Das Boot

Die Hard

Blade Runner

Scarface

Up

So many options... too many darn movies... and I need to stop here before I get ahead of myself, eh heh heh.... ^.^;

Ohhhh good golly gosh I do love me a good movie night. Here are just some of my favourites that I would recommend to pretty much anyone! c:

Just Plain Good Movies:

Fight Club

Tank Girl

Pan's Labyrinth 

Amelie

Paprika

Tokyo Godfathers

Porco Rosso

The Secret of Kells

Badgood Movies:

Foodfight (a grocery store comes alive and Charlie Sheen stars in it, what more could you want

BIRDEMIC SHOCK AND TERROR (exploding CGI birds and bad acting abound)

The Room (a classic!)

Wtf Is Even Going On Movies:

Hausu (japanese horror movie revolving around a haunted house. it has some gore in it if that would bug anyone)

Steak (a bunch of french dudes who are obsessed with plastic surgery and milk play a sport that involves math and hitting each other)

Mars Attacks! is definitely up there on a list of films that everyone should see. Not sure how much you'll get out of it if you're not familiar with some of the specific things that it's spoofing, but if you get the jokes and general line of humor it's an absolute riot. If you don't get it, well, it's worth seeking out and understanding the source material.

Death to Smoochy is sort of a similar animal. If you don't find the idea of a violent battle over children's show mascots to be funny, well, I don't know what to tell you. It also features Robin Williams just before his usual schtick went from "amusing" to "cloying and obnoxious."

Looper may or may not be out on video yet. It's a spectacular film, probably one of the best pieces of time travel fiction in memory, and features both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The former is one of my favorite actors, the latter is swiftly becoming one mostly due to his performance right here. It's a rare soul that can do a scene directly opposite Willis without being overshadowed.

Unbreakable also gets a nod; I loved this movie when I first saw it and still love its slow, insightful take on the superhero genre that never falls into dullness. It's a very gradual film, but it nails so many things so well that I think it stands as the one shining moment left in Shyamalan's career. (You don't want to know what I think about The Sixth Sense.)

The Incredibles, by contrast, is not slow. But it is very insightful, and manages to pack so much into its running time that I find something new to like every time I watch the film. (If you haven't noticed, I like superhero mythology a lot.) For an ostensible children's film, there's a lot packed in under the surface.

Snakes on a Plane is exactly what it says on the tin, and it is the finest example of its type in many years, a film with no pretense or artistry beyond sheer dim-witted affection. This is a film to be watched and mocked with ruthless abandon, but as you watch it you realize that everyone involved was waiting for the jokes. It's the sort of guileless idiocy that makes you long for Joel and the bots.

Walk Hard should be funny to anyone familiar with musical biopics, funnier to people with familiarity with music. It sometimes takes a couple watches for the comedy to really permeate, but the film manages to cover everything from Johnny Cash to Bob Dylan to Brian Wilson, hitting the numerous lows of music with a deft hand.

American Beauty is one of those films that seems like it shouldn't work - one of the central tensions is deflated in the first few moments, and you're mostly left with people acting varying flavors of selfish or dumb for two hours. But it does work wonderfully. If you've watched Six Feet Under, it's the same sense of tiny human drama without the increasing train wreck that episodic television forced on it.

Airplane! needs no introduction; it's one of the funniest films ever made, and it's a parody of a film style that's become more popular and memorable than the material it parodies. Just... you know, ignore the fact that some of the things in it no longer exist in airports.

Total Recall (the original) is a film that manages to be a big dumb 80s action film while being a cerebral look at the ways that memories and perception defines us. I hadn't seen it for a while, but rewatched it recently only to be surprised by how good it really is; even the dumb parts are so hopelessly dumb that you can't help but just laugh and move on.

Joe Versus the Volcano, meanwhile, might be my favorite movie ever.

Really.

I fully admit that sounds ridiculous. It's a 1990 romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. But it's not Sleepless in Seattle; it's almost the polar opposite. It's a film that's warm, touching, genuinely compassionate, filled with allegory and nuggets of wisdom that unpack remarkably well. This is from a time before Tom Hanks was human Play-Doh and Meg Ryan was everyone's friendly aunt, but both still bring a lot of humanity to a film that manages to leave me smiling every time I watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all! Nel has a great idea! She would like to get together once a month and run a movie night through her livestream. We can all kick back, watch a movie together, and have a good time. So, here's what we're looking for. Suggestions of movies to watch (no X rating), and suggestions of a night that's good for people! Post and let us know!

Scary movies?

Pulse. DEFINITELY pulse.

You will never look at a dryer the same way again. I promise.

No scary movies?

A Knights Tale is a pretty good/funny movie.

I could list more, but eh. :P

Scary movies?

Pulse. DEFINITELY pulse.

You will never look at a dryer the same way again. I promise.

No scary movies?

A Knights Tale is a pretty good/funny movie.

I could list more, but eh. :P

I love A Knight's Tale.

But Pulse... Pulse made me hide under a blanket and cry. Never. Again.