Rambling thoughts could use focus!

So I have an idea for a Keeper of the Moon character. It's relatively small-scale (I tend to enjoy a more grounded, regular person that is thrown into greater adventures). I just need some help ironing out ideas, perhaps discussing things back and forth a bit to really flesh him out, I think. 

I bounced back and forth on whether he should have been a Seeker or Keeper but think I ultimately landed on Keeper because: I want him to have started small. A baby born of the Shroud who poached for food and was captured. He would essentially be jailed for a portion of his life - do we know anything about Gridania jail? Is it unbelievable that he would be jailed - would he be killed instead? 

The end goal, ultimately, is have him become a Twin Adder. He would be a small part of the Grand Company and actually begin to rise through the ranks as he proved himself skilled with a sword (also-- do we know anything regarding Adders abilities outside of bows? I may be interested in him learning how to wield a gun as well but that seems a bit farfetched). 

As a Twin Adder, he suddenly has more reason to be involved with the overarching story of the game and I can handle him as more than just a mercenary type. It would be really cool to start up Grand Company linkshells or even Free Companies if the interest was there. 

I digress. 

As a somewhat young and skilled Adder, I am uncertain as to what he might have seen. Maybe he fought in the skirmish against Ishgard? Perhaps he lent aid when the dragons came to close to Coerthas. I would imagine, without a doubt, he would be sent east to assist in the Ala Mhigan campaign.

I ultimately landed on Keeper because: I want him to have started small. A baby born of the Shroud who poached for food and was captured.

For starters, I've dropped what Keeper of the Moon lore we know in the spoiler below. It's not a ton, but it should help clarify a bit about the culture your character comes from. But seeing as how he's captured as a poacher and later becomes a Gridanian citizen, I think it's important to also know why poaching is such a grave crime in the Shroud and why Gridanians and Keepers were at odds for so long.

This post on elementals and the laws of the Wood should help with that.

Also as a Keeper (and as a Gridanian) you're going to hear a lot of talk about Menphina and Nophica, so I've included lore on those as well in case you're wanting to include religious inclinations to your character?

As might be surmised from their self-chosen name' date=' the majority of the Keepers of the Moon are devout followers of Menphina. They reside and hunt freely in the Shroud, where for many years they came in conflict with the people of Gridania, who saw the Keepers as little more than poachers. In recent years, however, the two sides have reconciled their differences, and today many Keepers hunt in accordance with rules set by the Trappers' League, bartering the furs and meats they procure for agricultural goods and essential commodities. Others, however, refuse to bend to these rules, poaching the woods and laying waste to the natural environment as they see fit.[/quote']

The nocturnal among the Miqo'te have dubbed themselves the Keepers of the Moon. Shying from the garish light of day' date=' they revel in the shroud of night, with most offering their piety to Menphina the Lover, goddess of the moon. Their tradition of hunting in the thick woodlands of the Black Shroud have for years thrown them into conflict with the forestfolk of Gridania, who condemn them as poachers. Of late, however, many Keepers of the Moon have found some small peace with the Gridanians, and taken to living within the city.[/quote']

The nocturnal among the Miqo'te have dubbed themselves the Keepers of the Moon. Shying from the garish light of day' date=' they revel in the shroud of night, with most offering their piety to Menphina the Lover, goddess of the moon. They are distinguishable from their diurnal cousins by their darker fur, larger ears, rounder eyes, more pronounced canines, and longer, skinnier tails. The ritual application of war paint to the face is still regularly practiced, as it is believed the vivid colors grant lunar powers. The Keepers are known for their reticent and brooding personalities, but are also respected and sometimes feared for their tenacity.[/quote']

The Keepers of the Moon are the more numerous of the two Miqo'te clans you will see here in Gridania. Even so' date=' their kind are few enough, as many and more care not for life in the city. They have the characteristic feline eyes and long swaying tails and I daresay that in comparison to the Seekers of the Sun, they tend to be a bit more reticent and reserved. Time was, our own Gods' Quiver used to clash with the Keepers that were out hunting in the Twelveswood. But these days we deal with them friendly enough, trading what crops and hides are to be had.[/quote']

Save for their longer tail' date=' the Keepers are nearly identical to their Seeker cousins in physical stature, and can be distinguished by their fur, dark as the night fog, and the large pupils of their eyes. Though lacking the physical stamina of the Seekers, they make up for this with a fierce strength of will and unerring instincts. With their keen intuition, Keeper hunters have been known to easily snare even targets concealed in the gloom of night.[/quote']

In contrast to the Seekers of the Sun' date=' with their male-dominated tribes and harems, the fundamental unit of Keeper of the Moon society is the family, centered around a strong mother figure and her children. Keepers are known to form small communities composed of two or three families who hunt together. They are also known for decorating their faces with war paint before going on the hunt, a tradition symbolizing their readiness and resolve to strain their hands with blood, as well sending a message to their gods that they are prepared to serve them as warriors in the afterlife should they fall.[/quote']

The men of the Keepers of the Moon live a wanderer's life' date=' for they are at their best in small doses. Women and children keep the hearth, ply various trades, and accept game and visits from the menfolk. But King Poach denies women this gods-given rule over matters of family. He forces women to live with him, forbids them to see their sisters, mothers, aunts. Most unnaturally, they lie with him and him alone! So terrible are their crimes that all Keepers of the Moon feel the suspicion and fear cast their way.[/quote']

I grew up in a household as the third daughter of five. As you likely already know' date=' we Keepers of the Moon are not raised with a father, so it was just my mother with us at home. Now, of course, I live on my own. After one of my older sisters moved to Ul'dah, I decided to follow her example and leave the Black Shroud.[/quote']

Can you believe the nerve' date=' this goblin fisherman said I wouldn't be able to outfish him even if he were blindfolded! Well, I took the bet, of course! We Keepers of the Moon do not take insults lying down, especially if they're true! Since he won't be able to see a thing, you can prove him wrong.[/quote']

The Keepers of the Moon who make Quarrymill their home have recently been troubled by Taker's Rot poachers who litter the area with their deadly iron leg traps. Three young women and a breeding male have already had to have their legs amputated after suffering wounds from these deadly hunting instruments. To ensure the clan suffers no further causalities' date=' the Trappers' League has put a call out to local adventurers to assist in the search and disposal of hidden traps.[/quote']

We Keepers of the Moon have a long history of decorating our faces with colorful paint before going into battle. We do this not only to honor the traditions of our clan' date=' but to also let the gods know that we are prepared to serve them as warriors in the afterlife, should we fall at the hands of our enemies. The paint we use is taken from the inedible red berries of a herb known as 'soldier's sore' that can be found growing in the South Shroud. My unit is willing to pay handsomely for any who can harvest the fruit and deliver it to our barracks.[/quote']

Moon daisies are often hung to rafters' date=' trees, or other elevated locations to represent the celestial body when performing holy rituals to the goddess Menphina during daylight hours.[/quote']

A rare freshwater fish decorated with a thunderbolt-like pattern down its back. The Keepers of the Moon who inhabit the Black Shroud will eat one of these before a big hunt' date=' claiming that it grants them speed and strength.[/quote']

There are many Keeper of the Moon family names that have been passed down through the generations. The ones you see in-game represent some of the more prominent families that once crossed the frozen seas into Eorzea in search for prey. That does not mean that these are all the names available. There are some families who have chosen to live more secluded lives' date=' and simply have not made an appearance in-game yet. There are also the families who remained in their homeland, or emigrated to lands other than Eorzea. So, when creating a character, you are free to take the surname of an existing family, and inherit their history, or choose a yet-to-be-released surname, and build a new history.[/quote']

He would essentially be jailed for a portion of his life - do we know anything about Gridania jail? Is it unbelievable that he would be jailed - would he be killed instead?

If captured by the Wood Wailers, your character would've been gaoled. Gridania is actually really big on jails while they await the elementals to pass judgement on lawbreakers. Now, depending on what year your character was captured would determine where he would've been dragged off to. The majority of Gridania's jails tend to be subterranean, and as such, these areas eventually become saturated with aether and woodsin, and are either abandoned or sealed off. Such was the case with Toto-Rak.

Named after a man-eating creature from Padjali folklore' date=' the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak was built on the site of a natural cave system beneath Silent Arbor. Until recently, it held all of Gridania's foulest criminals, from arsonists to poachers, but the completion of a new gaol closer to the city heralded its abandonment.[/quote']

A tragedy has occurred at the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak. A notorious dungeon that once held poachers and arsonists—the vilest kinds of criminals ever to defile the Twelveswood—the mere mention of its name is enough to set the hairs of any forestborn standing on end. Up until three decades ago when the Elder Seedseer closed and sealed Toto-Rak' date=' declaring it barbaric and unworthy of Gridanians, the dungeon was dreaded far and wide as the seventh hell made manifest.[/quote']

1542 - The Seedseers issue a deree to close the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak' date=' citing inhumane treatment of the prisoners confined therein.[/quote']

After the Year 1542 of the Sixth Astral Era, the new gaol that is referenced in the quotes above is Warren's Hold, better known after the Calamity as Spirithold. This Gelmorran structure was used as a prison for nearly thirty years until it was abandoned following the Calamity. If your character was imprisoned during this time period, he would've in all likelihood gone here.

A structure initially built in the days of Gelmorra' date=' Spirithold has found new use as a prison to hold enemies of the forest while they await judgement - though whether the same can be said after the Calamity is unclear. Some also refer to the crumbling ruin as Warren's Hold, after the cells' first gaoler.[/quote']

To the southeast of here lies a dungeon known as Spirithold. It was all but destroyed during the Calamity. Desiring to offer the ruins back to the forest' date=' a Hearer ventured inside to carry out the Rite of Returning.[/quote']

So where did Gridania keep its prisoners after the Calamity? Well, into the most protected area of Gridania...

You are come to the Wailing Barracks' date=' home of the Wood Wailers - the keepers of the peace within Gridania.[/quote']

Headquarters of the Wood Wailers' date=' the Wailing Barracks hold a guard-house, facilities where townsfolk might seek the Wailers' counsel, and a small gaol for those criminals who disturb the peace of the Twelveswood.[/quote']

Criminals are usually dealt with at the discretion of the Commander of whichever Spear (unit) of the Wood Wailers captured them. Though in almost all cases, the Stillglade Fane has a Hearer assigned to each guild to better facilitate communication between elemental and man in all matters of law. That said, when dealing with the specific matter of poaching, the case is likely turned over to the Ninth Spears, who handle poacher eradication.

Criminals can eventually be forgiven their crimes, but death sentences do also exist.

It is I' date=' Laurentius, the man whose crimes you exposed. I was a Wailer, and a regular patron at Buscarron's... I was beginning to wonder if gaol had changed me more than I realized. ...Not that I have any particular wish to be recognized after my shameful conduct. As matters stand, the Wood Wailers will have naught more to do with me. This...this may be just the second chance I was looking for...[/quote']

Though poaching is one of the most severe crimes in the Twelveswood' date=' often punishable by death, there is no end to the constant flow of those who come to the sacred forest in search of exotic pelts and horns to sell to dubious traders from the Far East. The sheer number of the criminals is forcing the Gods' Quiver to allocate far more men and women than they can spare, and so to lighten their load, they seek able-bodied adventurers to assist in patrolling at least six areas near Treespeak and dealing "swift justice" to any of these forsaken hunters that can be found.[/quote']

One of countless clockwork servitors discovered in the home of a Gridanian goldsmith recently hanged for the crime of ritual summoning. It is believed while crafting the automatons' date=' he became increasingly obsessed with the void, until the darkness bid him do the unthinkable.[/quote']

In the distant past' date=' the Gridanians used to try individuals suspected of heinous crimes by forcing them to share a pond with this extremely venomous stingray.[/quote']

The end goal, ultimately, is have him become a Twin Adder. (also-- do we know anything regarding Adders abilities outside of bows? I may be interested in him learning how to wield a gun as well but that seems a bit farfetched).

Guns aren't traditionally a part of the Twin Adders' (or a Gridanian Keepers' for that matter) arsenal. They're bulky, heavy, and loud - likely to disturb the tranquility of the forest and alert everyone to your presence, while Gridanians and Shroud poachers generally elect to use guerrilla tactics and stealth/concealment. But that's not to say that a former poacher couldn't have somehow gotten their hands on a firearm and trained themselves.

A musket from Limsa would be very unlikely, as Limsa tries to very strictly regulate its gun control and export. Ishgardian firearms are a little more likely, though the arms Machinists use at the Skysteel Manufactory are a much more recent invention - combining very outdated (and unpopular) Ishgardian marksman rifles with Garlond Ironworks magitek technology and the recently invented aetheroconverter to charge bullets with lightning aspected aether. The most likely source for a free gun would be stolen off a dead Garlean in the Wood. Gunblades and other Imperial firearms are usually only used by Centurions or higher ranked soldiers, but theoretically that shouldn't make one too difficult to find on the eastern boarders of the Shroud. For close to twenty years the eastern Shroud has been the frontlines for the conflict between Eorzea and Garlemald. Garleans have pecked at the Wood on and off for years, making several pushes into the Sylphlands in numerous attempts to eradicate the beastmen there. Even after Baelsar's Wall was built 15 years ago and later Castrum Oriens 5 years ago after the Calamity, Garleans could still be found patrolling the Wood before being repelled by the Gods' Quivermen, who protect the Hedge (the borders of the Twelveswood).

I've yet to really do a deep lore post into the Wood Wailers, Gods' Quivermen, and Trappers' League of Gridania, but I'll drop a few pertinents in the spoiler below that could be helpful:

The Order of the Twin Adders

Orderr.png

Amidst concerns of the Garlean threat' date=' Gridania decided to raise its own Grand Company in 1572 - a choice spurred by advice from the Circle of Knowing. The Elder Seedseer Kan-E-Senna returned from her communion with the elementals in the Twelveswood, so that she might directly oversee this body. Kan-E-Senna's quiet strength as leader of the Order of the Twin Adder has allowed her to adroitly keep Gridania's citizens safe, and take command of matters military.[/quote']

The Order of the Twin Adder is comprised of four main units, and a fifth smaller one. Foraging and crafting falls to the Blue Badgers, a unit of engineers and sappers that recruits from local Disciples of the Hand and Land guilds. Next are the Red Otters, an elite combat unit that draws select lancers, archers, and conjurers from their respective guilds. Youth who wish to serve Gridania enlist in the White Wolves as combat troops. Fourth, the Black Boars provide logistics and support for other units. Their ranks are formed of men and women who have retired from the ranks of the Wood Wailers and Gods' Quiver. Finally, the Yellow Serpents - a unit consisting solely of adventurers - provide various aid to the other four when called upon. All of these are coordinated from the command center known as the Adders' Nest.

The Wood Wailers and Gods' Quiver have always cooperated with the order, but initially maintained independence in their command chain. Heavy losses at the Battle of Carteneau, however, prompted Gridania to reorganize its Grand Company. Thus, the Wailers and Bows were officially ushered into the Twin Adder after the Calamity.

After an extended absence, the Elder Seedseer has finally returned from the depths of the Twelveswood, much to the relief of the citizenry. And by her decree, after entire eras in slumber, the Order of the Twin Adder has been roused to wakefulness once more. Yet, in the midst of these heartening developments, a stifling air of tension now enshrouds Gridania, a product of the uncertainty over whether the Grand Company will live up to the weight of expectation.

The day past saw our nation’s leaders assembled at the Adders' Nest to make provisions for the nation’s defense. Among those in attendance were the ranks of conjurers, who partook in discussion on matters such as military structuring, fortifications, arms manufacturing, provisioning, and so forth. Needless to say, the Twin Adder has much work to do if it is to become a full-fledged military force rather than a token presence, and the closest cooperation with our nation’s guilds will be central to success.

In particular, the eyes of the nation are locked upon the two pillars of law and order in the Twelveswood: the Wood Wailers and the Gods' Quiver. As elite warriors among forestborn, charged with the security of the city-state and its surrounds, theirs is a heavy burden. Yet events of recent moons have not helped to engender public confidence. Take, for instance, the infiltration of the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak by imperial troopers. This incident alone seemed to push our resources to the brink, rendering our shortage of manpower painfully apparent. As we stand, Gridania can ill resist the Empire should it come at us in force.

In the beginning, the Order of the Twin Adder was taking on adventurers solely in a provisional capacity. However, as more and more of these recruits went on to distinguish themselves in missions of consequence, the Twin Adder could not help but take notice. And so when options were discussed on ways to augment Gridania's underwhelming host, it took next to no time for our leaders to unanimously settle upon a solution: to accept adventurers as fully inducted members of the Grand Company.

It had been known that the Twin Adder means to establish four units, each named for the four noble beasts of legend: the White Wolf, the Blue Badger, the Red Otter, and the Black Boar. Now, however, a Yellow Serpent will be joining the fray, and it is beneath its banner that non-Gridanians - in other words, adventurers - will charge into the field of battle.

I would like to take this opportunity to unreservedly applaud the move. Ours has been a closed society; more often than not in history, Gridania has kept her distance from the other city-states of Eorzea. But we can ill persist in this way of thinking any longer. A terrible enemy has reared its head, and threatens to lay waste to all we hold dear. If we are to survive the coming storm, we must look beyond petty differences between our neighbors and ourselves. Elder Seedseer Kan-E-Senna - may the Twelve forever shine their countenance upon her - has ever championed cooperation and harmony as a way of life, and this philosophy rings truer now than ever before.

The Wood Wailers

But first you should know who we are. We Wood Wailers are the hands of Gridania - the agents of her people's will. We are the eyes of the Twelveswood - keepers of her peace and protectors of her sanctity. Harmony in the forest and peace in our nation are one and the same. Only through the efforts of all Gridanians can both be maintained.

The Wood Wailers originate in a group of young spearmen, who assembled under the auspices of Captain Josselin shortly after the founding of Gridania. This, the first company of Wailers, was tasked with defending the Twelveswood - per the woodland city-state's covenant with the elementals. Since then, the Wailers have protected the forest from internal strife, and become masters of the spear. They keep the peace from garrisons in Gridania proper to posts in its hamlets and watchtowers scattered throughout the Black Shroud. For good measure, they also dispatch patrols in the woods.

Wailers' masks signify that they will do their utmost to protect the forest and its inhabitants -

even at the risk of incurring the wrath of the elementals if needs be. The elementals, however,

distinguish between not by their faces, but rather by the appearance of their souls. As such,

there is little scholarly consensus over whether the masks have any effect whatsoever.

Our masks allow us to avoid the gaze of the elementals. The magic within them hides far more than the flesh beneath. The forest is our mother - we hunt and harvest when and where she tells us' date=' and we would give our lives to protect her. Still, culture and nature can never be in complete harmony. It is an unavoidable fact that some of what we do serves to anger the elementals. At such times, our masks spare us their greenwrath.[/quote']

When we must risk incurring the wrath of the elementals' date=' we Wood Wailers and the archers of the Gods' Quiver wear these masks. However, more than a few of us are beginning to think them naught but superstitious trinkets. I, for one, would be sorely troubled were it revealed that the guardians of the Twelveswood could be so easily deceived...[/quote']

Wood Wailer Organizational Structure:

First Spears: Recruitment and Training

Second Spears: Gridania Proper

Third Spears: Central Shroud

Fourth Spears: East Shroud

Fifth Spears: northern South Shroud

Sixth Spears: southern South Shroud

Seventh Spears: eastern North Shroud

Eighth Spears: western North Shroud

Ninth Spears: Poacher Eradication

Tenth Spears: West Shroud

So you wish to be a Wailer' date=' do you? To be hero to all the younglings? Not just any adventurer is given leave to join our ranks. We've a conjurer among us - as all guilds in Gridania do. We trust in Sister Challinie to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to your kind.[/quote']

Best take heed where you step in these parts' date=' friend. The Hedge that protects Gridania runs not far from here. The conjurers and Wood Wailers make regular patrols near the hedgetrees. You'll oft see them hereabouts, resting their weary legs between shifts.[/quote']

As Gridanians' date=' everything we do is done in service to the elementals. These gate are open to all who would honor this creed during their time here.[/quote']

Protocol is everything, and without it nothing can be begun. Now listen…

First comes the greeting - sharp and crisp. Greet all you happen upon the road or elsewhere, friends as well as enemies.

As important as it is for the residents of hamlets such as Quarrymill and Hyrstmill to be trained in the arts of war should they be attacked by the Ixal' date=' it is just as important that they have basic knowledge in the art of healing. Every moon, the Wood Wailers travel to these remote villages to conduct simple lessons on spellcasting so that the people can better prepare themselves for danger. The staves and canes used in these lessons are given to the village folk afterwards, meaning that the guild is in constant need for newly crafted conjurer's arms.[/quote']

After observing a number of their best spears injured in close-quarters skirmishes with the Ixal' date=' the Wood Wailers have resolved to begin basic Pugilist training, hoping to prevent further tragedy. They have duly commissioned Black Rabbit Traders to provide several pairs of cesti for evaluation, and the consortium is now seeking skilled leatherworkers to craft them.[/quote']

You must notify the Wailers at once if you see any Ixal within the forest. The Garleans make them for one of the so-called 'beast tribes'. But to us they are mere beasts' date=' and should be dealt with as such.[/quote']

Once every full moon' date=' the Wood Wailers conduct a ceremony in which they create a giant pyre and set alight masks to honor the spirits of those spears who fell at the Battle of Carteneau, five summers past. Black Rabbit Traders have been commissioned to provide the masks, and they now seek talented woodworkers to assist them in completing the order in time.[/quote']

You come on behalf of the leatherworkers? The repairs to the armor from the Ebony Stalls are finished? These tidings are most welcome! To damage a thing is to anger the elementals within it. And negligence invites the greenwrath. This is known. Were that not reason enough to repair old equipment' date=' any lancer will tell you that new armor fits right sore for a time. It may weaken your swing, or slow your speed. It may well be the difference between life and death. Yes, the captain will be pleased to hear of this, indeed. Tell the leatherworkers their labors are appreciated. And thanks to you as well, friend. When the guild approves payment, I will see it to Atelier Fen-Yll myself.[/quote']

There's a metric ton of lore on the Wood Wailers in levequests throughout Gridania, including info on how they wear dogtags, how they preserve and upkeep their spears, and how they go around to the various small hamlets and cabins around the Twelveswood teaching citizens the basics of conjury, lancing, and giving daggers to those who can't wield a spear.

The Gods' Quiver

Compared to the Wailers, the Quivermen have a short history. Established in 1363, the Gods' Quiver were a response to the Ixali attack a year earlier - a means of ensuring the Shroud never again be caught unprepared for foreign attack. Presently, the force consists of twelve units, with exactly one hundred fifty men apiece, and their ranks are filled primarily with archers. They are Gridania's eyes, watching for any trace of outside incursion from the watchspires throughout the Black Shroud.

Unlike the Wood Wailers, men and women of the Gods' Quiver do not remain stationed forever in a single garrison. Instead, they rotate between posts, to learn the terrain and thereby ready themselves to challenge foes anywhere in the Twelveswood.

Organizational Structure:

The Quiver's Rams (The White Rams): 1st Bow Miah Molkot

The Quiver's Bulls (The Gold Bulls): 1st Bow Mourechaux the Unbroken

The Quiver's Twins: 1st Bow Mianne Thousandmalm

The Quiver's Crabs: 1st Bow Coiled Serpent

The Quiver's Lions: 1st Bow Joseph Seolc

The Quiver's Virgins: 1st Bow G'pakibah Dora

The Quiver's Scales: 1st Bow Raghu'to Zhwan

The Quiver's Scorpions: 1st Bow Claroise Auberle

The Quiver's Centuars: 1st Bow Galfrid Mossback

The Quiver's Goats: 1st Bow Triaine the Youngest

The Quiver's Ewers: 1st Bow Dhebi Polaali

The Quiver's Whales: 1st Bow Lewin Hunte (Gods' Quiver Bowlord)

For over 150 years' date=' the men and women of the Gods' Quiver have held vigil over the Twelveswood's skies for Ixali dirigibles. The logs which they keep are so meticulously detailed as to include mention of the weather. [/quote']

All that remains is for you to form your bond. We require all archers to range in pairs outside the city. You'll find your partner within.

Every arrow loosed requires intense focus. So intense' date=' in fact, that we're practically defenseless when taking aim. That's why the leaders insist we range in pairs. We have to watch each other's backs, especially when there are no Wailers or conjurers around to do it for us.[/quote']

At least one conjurer is assigned to each guild in Gridania. They function as mediums of sorts' date=' conveying the will of the elementals to those who cannot hear them. Brother Morys and Sister M'koliwe are the two conjurers assigned to the Gods' Quiver. Sister M'koliwe joined us quite recently, with orders to keep an eye on a certain archer known for her…spontaneity.[/quote']

Don't go equating the Gods' Quiver with them polearm-wielding Wood Wailers' date=' now. They put down evils born within the forest. We repel evils come from without.[/quote']

Garleans continue to pour into the Twelveswood… None can now doubt that the imperial threat is real. But faith keeps fear at bay' date=' and makes life possible. The elementals, the conjurers, the Wood Wailers, the Gods' Quiver - these are the pillars of Gridanian faith.[/quote']

They certainly didn't waste any time in doling out our first orders. Damn Ixal watch' date=' again… The Ixal live in the tracts of wetland to the north. They're clever and cunning, and opportunistic to a fault. They take from the wood as they like, mocking its sanctity. It's prey they're after. They hunt the youngest and weakest animals - almost make a sick game of it. The Leatherworkers' Guild is quite concerned, and rightly so. Unchecked, the buzzards are likely to drive the species they prey upon to extinction. That's why we patrol. Despite what you may have heard, the Ixal actually avoid conflict wherever possible. Often, our presence alone is enough to scare them away. Still, that is not to say there is no danger involved. Never let your guard down.[/quote']

While optimal for neutralizing targets from afar' date=' the longbows of Gods' Quiver scouts lose their effectiveness when the enemy draws near. To prepare themselves for the occasional close-range battle, many scouts will equip themselves with hand-to-hand weapons that will not hamper them when notching their bows. The supply of knuckles stored at Camp Bentbranch has fallen hazardously low as of late, and the quartermaster has placed an urgent order with Black Rabbit Traders for a newly crafted shipment. To assist with the crafting and delivery of the items the Black Rabbit is currently hiring skilled goldsmiths.[/quote']

The Trappers' League

The Archers’ Guild began life within the Trappers’ League, a body existing to promote brotherhood amongst hunters. From its advent, the League decided where and when game could be taken in an effort to maintain peace with the elementals. In time, the hunters took to friendly competitions in bowmanship, and eventually a group split away to devote themselves to their weapon of choice. These were the founders of the Archers’ Guild.

Gridanian archery itself emerged from a history of strife betwixt two traditions: techniques of the longbow, beloved of the Elezen, and of the shortbows, developed by Miqo’te hunters. The Elezen sought to defend the forest, and clashed mightily with the Miqo’te, who poached its creatures for their meat. The two ultimately reached an accord, and merged their archery techniques into a unique style not found anywhere else in the realm.

Archery as practiced in Gridania was born of two distinct styles of bowmanship. The first was devised by the longbow sentries of the Elezen who once ruled the lowlands' date=' while the second belonged to the shortbow hunters of the formerly nomadic Miqo'te. As you will doubtless be aware, both races ultimately came to call the Twelveswood home. Though the two peoples began as rivals, they gradually learned to live together in harmony. During this time, they learned from one another, their two schools of archery intermingling to give birth to the art as it is known today. For a time, the bow was used primarily for hunting. But as the hunters vied with one another to prove who was the better shot, there emerged a group of archers whose ultimate goal lay not in the practical pursuit of prey, but in perfection. Thus was the Archers' Guild born from the ranks of the Trappers' League.[/quote']

To ensure no man is too greedy in his take' date=' hunters who pursue game in the woods must abide by the regulations of the Trappers’ League. The League also works to combat poachers, whose actions risk upsetting the natural balance of the forest.[/quote']

The enduring popularity of the bow is a testament to its elegant design' date=' but this simple weapon would be of little worth without the surpassing skill of those who master it - the archers. Projectile techniques such as high-angle fire enable archers to assail their foes with deadly precision even at great distances. Constant assessment of the battlefield enables them to carefully determine the most advantageous ground from which to loose, as well as the nature of the arrows best suited to their enemy. Together with the longbow sentries of the Elezen military, the shortbow hunters among the Miqo'te are widely regarded as most skilled with the bow. The guild's teachings cover a variety of projectile weapons, down to the simplest throwing rock.[/quote']

As you cannot have failed to notice' date=' the Twelveswood is blessed with an abundance of life, and we Gridanians have long hunted the forest's creatures for both nourishment and clothing. But Gridania is unlike any other place. The elementals that watch over the Twelveswood have never looked kindly on the taking of life, and those who flout their governance do so at their own peril. The elementals decreed that life not be taken without due necessity. And so the Trappers' League was formed to regulate the hunting of animals. The Leatherworkers' Guild was subsequently founded to manage the fair and equitable distribution of pelts. Nowadays, adventurers are a major supplier of pelts, and leather goods have become widespread. But in times past, they were rare and precious. The Leatherworkers' Guild has not forgotten those times. We treat leather with no less respect than the living creatures whence it comes, and craft goods of the highest quality. In so doing, we honor the lives lost, and minimize the need for further killing─an oft-forgotten benefit of our products' surpassing durability.[/quote']

As a somewhat young and skilled Adder, I am uncertain as to what he might have seen. Maybe he fought in the skirmish against Ishgard? Perhaps he lent aid when the dragons came to close to Coerthas. I would imagine, without a doubt, he would be sent east to assist in the Ala Mhigan campaign.

I think a lot of this would really depend upon how old he is, and when he sought to join the Twin Adders? Did he join 5 years ago when the Order was first formed? Did he join after the devastation the Calamity inflicted upon the Twelveswood? Did he join but recently, being too young to serve beforehand?

As far as the Order of the Twin Adder is concerned, they've largely spent most of their time in service dealing with the Garlean threat to the eastern Wood, though also fighting the Ixal on the northern and western fronts. While Gridania has been close allies with the Ishgardians for some time, they weren't directly involved in matters of the Dragonsong War. It was the adventurers and free companies of Eorzea who provided the biggest militia aid there.

About the only large-scale military conflicts the Adders have truly seen are the Battle of Carteneau five years ago, Operation Archon one year ago, and the most recent events of Stormblood.

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!