'Xaelic' or 'Xaelan' ?

'Xaelic' or 'Xaelan'?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 'Xaelic' or 'Xaelan'?

• Xaelic
    • Xaelan

Maybe the question's already been asked and I couldn't find it but since SB came out I've been having this question. Just interacting with other Xalea RPers I've found it more common for people to use 'Xaelic' over 'Xaelan' when reffering the language, however looking at how the tribes are called in SB I've noticed most of the tribes that end in a consonant attach an 'i' after the name when used as an adjective ( ie, Qestir -> Qestiri ) and if I recall correctly the tribes that end with a vowel attach an 'n' when used as an adjective (I can't say the example, cause I can't remember which tribe, but it was either one or two different tribes mentioned while questing in the steppe). 

So, if this is the case, and maybe it's not even a proper rule, would that then apply also to the word Xaela itself? If so would the proper term then be 'Xaelan' over 'Xaelic' as Xaela ends with a vowel? Am I completely off-base here?

(Also should this be in lore, or RP discussion thread?)

Maybe the question's already been asked and I couldn't find it but since SB came out I've been having this question. Just interacting with other Xalea RPers I've found it more common for people to use 'Xaelic' over 'Xaelan' when reffering the language, however looking at how the tribes are called in SB I've noticed most of the tribes that end in a consonant attach an 'i' after the name when used as an adjective ( ie, Qestir -> Qestiri ) and if I recall correctly the tribes that end with a vowel attach an 'n' when used as an adjective (I can't say the example, cause I can't remember which tribe, but it was either one or two different tribes mentioned while questing in the steppe). 

So, if this is the case, and maybe it's not even a proper rule, would that then apply also to the word Xaela itself? If so would the proper term then be 'Xaelan' over 'Xaelic' as Xaela ends with a vowel? Am I completely off-base here?

Actually, neither "Xaelan" nor "Xaelic" are correct. They are never once used in game dialogue or lore blurbs. The adjectival form of Xaela is "Xaela." So you would say "Xaela Warrior" or "in the Xaela tongue."

Caught in Isari' date=' you say? I might go and take a look later.[/quote']

That does sound nice' date=' doesn't it. I will take your finest mammoth thigh![/quote']

We Gesi are skilled hunters; certainly the most capable of all the Xaela tribes. We fully understand the importance of weaponry.

It's about as commonly misused as "Au'Ra" as opposed to "Au Ra," or using the adjectival form of Au Ra, "Auri," as the plural form of Au Ra, which is "Au Ra."

Singular noun: Au Ra

Plural noun: Au Ra

Adjective: Auri

Singular noun: Xaela

Plural noun: Xaela

Adjective: Xaela

(For Raen, the singular and plural forms are likewise "Raen" but I don't think I've ever seen the adjectival form of Raen ever used in any dialogue, so it could be weird, or it could also just be Raen.)

However, as was recently re-confirmed by Koji at yesterday's PAX panel, the Xaela tribes all have their own languages and only speak a "common" language when gathering together in places like Reunion for trade. This language is said to be a sort of amalgamation of the various tribal languages rolled into one, but is presumably based upon the "old auri tongue."

This was because the Steppe is made up of lots of different tribes' date=' not just a single tribe, and because of that you can expect a lot of the tribes to have different languages and they're all contributing to this one common language that most of the tribes use during trading, but when they're separate they use their own languages. That's why we wanted to have some of these similar words, but little bit dissimilar.[/quote']

On the steppes which they call home' date=' the Xaela speak the old Auri tongue to this day.[/quote']

In addition to the standard language used by most of the Xaela in cross-tribe communication' date=' the Geneq employ a complex system of whistles and clicks which resemble the cloud- and wavekin of the steppe.[/quote']

So when referring to Xaela roleplayers speaking the Xaela tongue, it'd be most appropriate to say they're speaking the "Oroniri tongue" or the "Dotharli tongue" or the "Adarkim language" unless this roleplayer is speaking the common "Auri tongue" used for cross-communication with other tribes.

This leads nicely into the bit about the adjectival forms of the individual tribes. In the Azim Steppe you notice that the adjectival forms of several consonant-ending tribes ended in "-i" however, not every consonant-ending tribe does this. So it's not a fullproof rule.

Have you ever heard why the Qestir founded Reunion? They say a Qestiri child died from an illness that would have been treatable with the right medicine. Alas' date=' the Qestir had no means of procuring the cure at the time.[/quote']

When a Dotharli child is born' date=' the khatun looks into their eyes to determine who they were in their past life.[/quote']

What are you talking about? I'm not lost!

But on the other hand you have tribes like the Mol and Adarkim, who's adjectival form does not add "-i":

Though I am not sure if I'm capable of taking them all the way back to Mol Iloh...

I belong to the Adarkim: the largest of the Xaela tribes. Recent events have led to me being considered as a potential future khan.

You may not be aware of this' date=' but those from outside our tribe seldom have the chance to speak with Dazkar men.[/quote']

As for tribes ending in vowels there are, again, some which alter their names in the adjectival forms and some which do not:

By the way' date=' have you seen any other children that look like me?[/quote']

This group alone contains a pair of Himaa twins' date=' a Boliri girl, and the Bayaqud child that was here from the start.[/quote']

He comes and goes with a Mol girl. Though I could not describe her. I only know that she is Mol because I heard them talking as they passed.

Versus:

The rumors─they do you no justice. You are possessed of the might of at least one hundred Budugan warriors.

Hope this helps! ^^