Greetings fellow RPers and to those on the Mateus server especially. Though I hope you all will check this out. I'll tell you a little about myself and then I'll have a few questions at the end if anyone is up to helping a RP newb get around.  First, this is my first MMO of any kind. Been on since launch day on the PS4 and have never not wanted to be logged in. So much to do, so many cool places to go, so many interesting people, so many "interesting" people >.<. I'm a huge RPG fan all around and now that I've caught up, so to say, on content and finding most of my friends are jumping to other servers to raid more or hang out with real life friends, I find myself with lots of free time. I have always wanted to try RP, even wanted to play D&D when I was younger but no one where I lived played, and so I figure now is the best time to try.

I am sadly more shy than I realized. I've been working on my characters background, but after several revisions I'm no closer to being done with it. I have tried to RP with a few people in game but I'm never sure how to approach many things. Many use the /em to start their stuff, others use "*" to dictate movements they make, others just want to sell ERP sessions for gil, and others still send back a "Don't talk to me" message even though their "RP" is up and their search comment says, "WU/T loved." Is this all normal? Is there more I should know before I go out to try this? I'm reading some of the articles here today so that will help some but it's funny, I can make a million bad jokes and puns in Party Finder, in Dungeons, Eureka, and so forth, but walking up to a character in a virtual bar gives me pause. 

Well, that's it for now. Like I said at the top, I would appreciate any and all advice and if you on Mateaus and you see me around, say "Hi" if my RP is up, I'll try to do the same. >.<d

Hi!!

It is good to read about your interest  in trying to RP more. I can tell you from my personal experience, the first time I did any MMO RP was on WoW and it has honestly enhanced my game experience, especially in between content and expansion prelaunches. Here's some small tips:

• Don't overthink your character's story. Sometimes it is just best to have a skeleton outline of personality/direction, then jump right into some RP to develop a little more.
  • Challenge yourself to be the person who strikes the conversation when you are in popular RP spots.
  • Go to server events! Even though they can be a little overwhelming at first, it is good to observe and mingle to make those friends.

Hope to see you in game! :)

Another great suggestion is something you've already done: Get more involved here! :D

Now that I've seen your post, if I get a message from Ashram Narse, I'll know who you are and a bit on what you're about. I totally agree with Venita on your character back-story. Get a rough idea and then just mull it over while you play and RP. Perhaps as you interact with more people, you'll get fresh ideas on what direction to take.

Good luck to you! And keep an eye out for Jarrett Surefoot, I'm always down for a spontaneous RP session ^_^

Welcome to Mateus and RP.  Sounds like you haven't had the best experiences yet... but really, most of us are quite friendly (out-of-character at least, we may not all be nice in-character, but half the fun in RP is that we can pretend to be someone very different than how we normally are). But keep at it and you're bound to find better RP soon.

If you see a Tregarde (three flavors to chose from!) running around, feel free to strike up some RP. If there's more than a few people around you might need to send a whisper to grab my attention, I can get a little focused on what I'm doing, but if there's hardly anyone around I'll notice if you stop near my characters.