What instrument(s) do y'all play?

So there's a buncha people here that draw, snore! (jk, don't hurt me E> art)

I ain't seen a musical thread with my whole twenty seconds of looking, so I made my own. 

MY INSTRUMENT(s) OF CHOICE: Harmonicas!

You can access the channel I made with the surname of my character if you want to listen to whatever garbage I throw on there.

Here's a crappy (pretty typical) go at some stuff, in particular the FFVII theme: l-kK4FyBFow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the violin

dfdr8ho7yAQ

Naaah not really, I tried as you can see but it's not for me.

I play guitar but I've yet to record anything, used to be in a small band a while back but we lacked a permanent drummer, so it all drifted apart. Need some inspiration to continue playing!

I'm a flute player! Was a really good one too.

Nothing says you can't pick it back up! I used to be in marching band wayyyy back in jr high, so that means nothing to my musical abilities now! I'm just now transitioning from "play/learn by ear" to reteaching myself how to read music. It's funnnnn!

I'm actually probably in the range of flute music right now (Irish/Scottish stuff), not sure why that's directly important, but I said it.

I played the snare drum back in junior high but now I've been playing the piano to learn songs from final fantasy mostly. I've been practicing this song in my free time because I thought it sounded awesome!

GP7_BNriK8c

I play Violin and Piano but i havent played in a while so im probably rusty

Go make some noise! That's awesome.

I've wanted to pick up a piano (because if I could pickup a grand piano I'd be buff). As for violin, the 10-hole diatonic harmonica pretty much plays the range of the violin, so I've been looking into violin stuff (Selbina theme from FFXI quickly comes to mind!)

I played the snare drum back in junior high but now I've been playing the piano to learn songs from final fantasy mostly. I've been practicing this song in my free time because I thought it sounded awesome!

GP7_BNriK8c

Most of the stuff I'm trying to learn now is FF-related too. Usually from someone talking about a particular song and I'm all like "I WANT TO PLAY IT".

I would probably be classified as a serious musician. My main instrument is piano and harpsichord. (And voice)

Secondary instruments are viola and flute.

I played around on guitar and really liked it but I have to put that on the back burner while I focus my energies on piano and harpsichord.

GP7_BNriK8c

Most of the stuff I'm trying to learn now is FF-related too. Usually from someone talking about a particular song and I'm all like "I WANT TO PLAY IT".

Well it is a great song I have tons of em but its hard being a lefty and the piano is more right handed oriented! But i feel like we should all have a group jam session or something idk teehee! :P

I would probably be classified as a serious musician. My main instrument is piano and harpsichord. (And voice)

I played around on guitar and really liked it but I have to put that on the back burner while I focus my energies on piano and harpsichord.

Major props! I want your superpower. /grovel "I'm not worthy!" The only other instrument (aside from guitar) I've played to any extent was an alto sax. I am totally not a serious musician, but I want to be, not professionally, but just able to jam either side of the spectrum (rock --- folk/ballads/whatnot). I got me a couple books of sheet music of various genres, as well as printed out more.

Major props! I want your superpower. /grovel "I'm not worthy!" The only other instrument (aside from guitar) I've played to any extent was an alto sax. I am totally not a serious musician, but I want to be, not professionally, but just able to jam either side of the spectrum (rock --- folk/ballads/whatnot). I got me a couple books of sheet music of various genres, as well as printed out more.

Don't worry. The key to being a serious musician isn't in how many instruments you play or even your current level. Being serious on an instrument is the willingness to practice and willingness to seek the knowledge on playing correctly. The key to success on instruments is having a good teacher so that bad technique does not hinder your future success on an instrument. :) Without a good foundation, advancing in music is impossible and causes later frustration.

And if anyone about has interests in composing their own music or developing the ability to play what you hear/write down on sheet music what you hear : Music Theory is the key to all of that. Perhaps surprising to some, music theory is what helps you play advanced music as well.

----

Keep up the practice you all. I'll definitely want to arrange ffxiv music for different instruments. In today's world, people from different locations can record their part and then it can be put together. I find that fascinating.

Don't worry. The key to being a serious musician isn't in how many instruments you play or even your current level. Being serious on an instrument is the willingness to practice and willingness to seek the knowledge on playing correctly. The key to success on instruments is having a good teacher so that bad technique does not hinder your future success on an instrument. :) Without a good foundation, advancing in music is impossible and causes later frustration.

And if anyone about has interests in composing their own music or developing the ability to play what you hear/write down on sheet music what you hear : Music Theory is the key to all of that. Perhaps surprising to some, music theory is what helps you play advanced music as well.

----

Keep up the practice you all. I'll definitely want to arrange ffxiv music for different instruments. In today's world, people from different locations can record their part and then it can be put together. I find that fascinating.

Thanks for the encouragement! Starting out, I watched a legendary blues harmonica player, Adam Gussow, on Youtube. He's made hundreds of videos "giving everything he's learned". So I did kinda have a teacher. I ain't too shabby, but it's always an uphill battle! I've "mastered" one jig so far. What I need to work on is reading notes and tempo stuff, unless I can find a recording of it!

----

Thanks for the encouragement! Starting out, I watched a legendary blues harmonica player, Adam Gussow, on Youtube. He's made hundreds of videos "giving everything he's learned". So I did kinda have a teacher. I ain't too shabby, but it's always an uphill battle! I've "mastered" one jig so far. What I need to work on is reading notes and tempo stuff, unless I can find a recording of it!

This should make everything a whole lot easier! Click lessons tab at top. You can even get their phone app to practice music theory where ever you are waiting around at. :D

http://www.musictheory.net/

I play Guitar and mandolin. Much more mandolin than guitar lately, but I've been getting back into the blues lately, and it's encouraging me to start learning slide guitar.

I've also done some experimenting with a washtub bass. I'm going to have to build another one sometime soon.

That video is amazing! I've gotta add his pieces to my (way too long list of files and files and files and...etc) music list! I would never discount that man's advice lol.

Keep me updated badlandsjohn! and let me know if that music theory site helps you out in your progress in the next couple weeks!! I really am interested how you get along. It's not everywhere you get to hear the harmonica.

That video is amazing! I've gotta add his pieces to my (way too long list of files and files and files and...etc) music list! I would never discount that man's advice lol.

Keep me updated badlandsjohn! and let me know if that music theory site helps you out in your progress in the next couple weeks!! I really am interested how you get along. It's not everywhere you get to hear the harmonica.

If you dig into 30 seconds of the FFVII theme vid I posted, you can hear octave harmonicas. 

The sound in this is also a harmonica, it is a specially tuned tremolo harmonica to play bagpipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5J-wGpK6sw

I taught myself acoustic guitar, which basically means i hit a hurdle probably not jumpable without professional instruction.

Oh, and I play a mean slide-whistle. No joke

I've gotta get off this thread (and site) or I'll never get breakfast/lunch.  Another option is to take group guitar lessons for a semester or two that you can often find at university and sometimes at community colleges. The cost is often less when you divide it out over the 4 month semester and the social aspect is great to learn with others.

And! You can often find private instruction available through a college that once again is often less expensive.

ok I'm running away from this thread today. :D Still gotta post  my intro... and eat and work later.!