What instrument(s) do y'all play?

I don't play any instruments, but I would consider myself somewhat of a vocalist. I will be majoring in music theory and composition soon in the fall.

For some experince, I considered writing a theme in the form of a tone poem. I love programmatic music, especially Dvorak's late tone poems after Kytice, a collection of Czech and Slavic folk tales.

I've read somewhere that Nobuo Uematsu likes to use influence from romantic composers including Tchaikovsky, who was a contemporary of Dvorak. This is a big part of why I always enjoy music from FF titles.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play the cello. I still have one, but it's been a couple of years since I've really had space/time to play it, though I kind of miss it.

So hopefully, I can get started again at some point. It's still one of my favorite instruments :3

Man, there's quite the collection of musicians, amateur musicians and musicians-taking-a-siesta-from-music-ing here. To you siesta folk, go play~! I wish I had a wide array of instruments under my belt (or even played my main instrument well enough!). Soooo jealous!

Music moves the world man! My fiancee and I like to work together to create music. I mostly write lyrics though. She plays piano unlike anyone I've ever seen. Her grandpa bet her 100 dollars that she couldn't learn and play The Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin without sheet music. She was ten, and showed him, winning herself 100 dollars and muscle memory to play an unbelievable tune! She also has the prettiest voice I've ever heard, and insists on learning to play and sing Eyes on Me for me. Which, I can't even listen to her practice without beginning to cry... the feels...

Well, I often get sidetracked when I talk about her. >.<

I personally play Viola right now. After I get a new C string onto the family's cello, I'll be fooling with it as well. I love strings! Other than that, I can play bass guitar decently. I've played guitar and drums as well. In middle school I began band classes with Clarinet. <3 But switched to bass clarinet in high school. <33 Eventually switching to tenor sax and marching it one year. My other marching year I played the big 4th bass drum. I also sing! Not as good as my fiancee of course (she's had voice training), but she likes my voice, and that's good enough for me. :D

I play hand drums. Primarily the dumbek/darbuka. I have two of my own, and also have a wooden djembe, though it uses wood panels instead of being a clean carve. All my drums have synthetic heads.

399161_500834693262503_1157605626_n.jpg

I also play a bit of penny whistle/tin whistle/Irish whistle/whateveryouwannacallit, and can pull off some basic stuff on a 6-hole ocarina (which I learned before I even knew Zelda:OoT was a thing). I misplaced my ocarina forever ago, and my penny whistle is cracked, though they're cheap to replace.

Ah so much talent!  I do not play anything anymore due to multiple factors but, in the past I've played the Piano, Xylophone (And various other keyboard percussion) Quad Drums, Misc Aux percussion, Clarinet and.... the Flute!

Of course I never really got good at any of them but man I enjoyed my musical history and I'm always boring my friends with marching band stories and lamenting that I wasn't nearly good enough for DCI.

Any ways nowadays I just sing alone during the day and I have a piggy back dedicated to my Instrument fund.  8-)

There are a lot of orchestra instrument players on here lol. You guys should form a group and do FF covers. 

It's been a few years since I've picked up an instrument in earnest, but I used to play practically any stage-instrument sans drums. Back when I was living in Arkansas, outside of being in some bands of my own I'd fill in for a lot of the local screamo/post hardcore/metalcore bands in the area when they lost a guitarist or bassist or synthist. I ended up selling all of my instruments before I moved out to Arizona, though, so I've been a musician without any music to play for a while. And though it's not an instrument per se, I used to double as a scream vocalist during my show playing days.

This is a cool thread :)

I've played guitar for several years now, as well as a bit of bass and drum programming.  I've got a link below of a song I recorded for my band in my studio.

Be kind, it's a little old...

JyT2JKAkr6I

I promise it's not the only kinda stuff I'm into :D

I've also been getting into digital music and producing in the last several years, but don't really have a whole lot I'm proud of at the moment, but maybe I'll throw something else up on Youtube sometime...  until then, thanks for taking a moment to listen

@DrGalaltic - that's awesome! I want your powers. >.>

I just got done electronically rednecking my first full rendition of the FFXI theme for Selbina, played on a harmonica. I rearranged it to follow the format of typical jigs aside from keeping the final section a double repeat of the first section. (I obviously don't know the lingo)

[video=youtube]

• 2 weeks later...

@DrGalaltic - that's awesome! I want your powers. >.>

I just got done electronically rednecking my first full rendition of the FFXI theme for Selbina, played on a harmonica. I rearranged it to follow the format of typical jigs aside from keeping the final section a double repeat of the first section. (I obviously don't know the lingo)

[video=youtube]

Thanks a lot man :)  Appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

I play the flute and the guitar .. and the Irish whistle, but I'm not very good at it. I would love to add violin and piano to that list. My dad keeps trying to get me to learn the mandolin whenever we get together. A lovely instrument, to be sure, but it's not a priority.

Edit: Oh .. I would also like to learn the ocarina, too, for funsies. Though I feel it would be hard for me just like the whistle.

None, sadly! I tried to learn to play the guitar but it hurt my fingers and I gave up after a few weeks. I'm hoping to learn how to play a piano eventually, but they're pretty expensive! I was allowed to use a piano back in college thanks to a kind offer by one of the tutors, she claimed I have quite a bit of potential since I seemed to pick things up pretty quickly. It's just something I've not been able to get around to.