Hi all! New FFXIV Trial player, I have a couple questions ^-^

Hello everynoe!

I've been trying out FFXIV for the first time since a couple of days with a Trial account together with my gf (we're really liking it so far!), and since I always like to plan ahead in the case I (or we) decide to buy the game and become full players, I have a couple of questions about the servers.

I'm a long time RPer and even if nowadays I often don't have the time to actively RP as much as I'd like, I prefer to set myself up on a server with a good RP population (both for the generally nicer communities and because of the obvious RP opportunities 😊). Being in the EU, and after some research on the web, we rolled our characters on the Omega server. It seems most info is a bit dated by now though, so I was wondering if Omega is still the main RP aggregation server currently or if it has shifted. Considering the peculiarity of FFXIV, I'd like to make sure before committing too much time into a character on a "wrong" server. 😜

And now, since you've been kind enough to read through my blabbering, I'm gonna share something about myself with the template, even if I'm still just evaluating the game. 😊

MMORPG background

No idea what the average age around here is, but whenever I talk about this I'm starting to feel old on the matter. 😅 My first MMO experience was with the still 2D isometric world of Ultima Online. I then passed through most of the major western market MMOs: Everquest II, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes/Villains, Warhammer Online, LotRO, Age of Conan, Rift, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, ESO, Wildstar.

My recently most active ones are SWTOR and ESO since I can enjoy both without needing to have multiple subs active, and WoW now and then to check the major patches when RL allows me to have enough free time to not waste most of the sub time. 😝

RP Experience

This dates even more back, to a short time with the p n' p D&D 2nd edition before moving onto the 3-3.5ed. As far as MMO-RP is concerned, once again my first experience was on Ultima Online and I've RPed on every other MMO I've played (more on some, less on others.). My longest experiences have been on SWG, AoC, WoW and SWTOR. I also do LARP, althogh RL forced me to dial back a lot on it in the last couple of years. I've done very little forum RP, usually to compensate for times when the group I was RPing with couldn't get all online for extended periods, so we could move the stories forward even with those unable to get ingame without forcing people to have their characters stuck.

Character ideas/info

None so far, still learning the setting ropes. Although I'm currently playing an Elezen and if I get to buy the game the Dark Knight job really intrigues me.

How did you learn about the coalition?

By searching "Best FFXIV EU server choice for a roleplayer" on google. 😂

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

I used to always reply to this with "heavy", but nowadays it's really just the kind RL allows me to be. Unless we're considering it towards lore adherence, setting realism/immersion and the such. In that case it'll always be "heavy", I don't like it any other way regardless of setting. If I RP, is to live it how the setting writers originally intended it (taking advantages of all the lore loopholes to fuel creativty within reason, of course 😜).

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

I'm beginning a career in voice acting/dubbing, I live with my gf and we have the cutest calico cat!

EDIT: Typos u_u

Edited by UnidessGaming

Hiya there! Welcome to the RPC!

While Omega does currently have the largest amount of RPers in terms of the EU datacenters, there are also a huge number of EU players RPing on the NA datacenter because Chaos DC came about after the game's release. Because of that, a lot of long-time RPers started on Balmung when there was kindasorta a single server that was generally "RP-designated" by players, and some have probably also moved over to Mateus. 

While Balmung remains locked to new players and transfers too at this time due to "congested server" status, Mateus currently flops between locked creation and open for creation depending on time of day based on user load. (So as EU players, you'll probably have an easier time getting into it if you want to take a look since you can avoid NA primetime). 

In terms of Omega, I'd definitely recommend joining a few of their discords to help find more, as you may find more activity in them. (Hub sites like the RPC have been seeing less activity as more groups have kinda migrated and settled into discords). The one I'm aware of is https://discord.gg/39f43kN

If you've got questions about the site, run into any issues, or aren't sure where something can/should be posted, feel free to poke me in PMs or stick a thread in the Requests and Feedback section here on the RPC! I try to help keep things working smoothly as possible.

Spoiler

If you haven't already bought the game and/or haven't found a friend on EU to do the friend invite thing, I definitely recommend having someone "recruit" you as you'll get some bonus items, one of which boosts exp, iirc.

Or you're welcome to use mine if cross-region works 9PQJG7US 

details: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/