Backstory check for Lore Consistency

Greetings all, I've started playing FFXIV a few days ago and while I'm still grasping a few control tweaks I'd like to at least start fleshing out my character and her backstory for when I enter the RP community in the game.

As such, I'd like to ask for some help checking a few facts, locations and naming conventions on my character's backstory to make sure I'm not making any serious mistake. I have not read the lore yet, only followed what has been presented to me in the game so far, mostly for fear of spoiling something. So without further ado, here is my character:

Name: Cellestitte Arendell

Backstory:

The one left behind

Cellestitte has lived all her life in a small village near the East-side settlement of Hathoeva River, to the south of Gridania. However, how she came to be here isn’t clear. Years ago, a family of rich-looking individuals stopped by the village to rest from their travels. They made a show of drinking and paying everyone in village extremely well, which did rouse a little suspicion on the folk. By morning they were gone in a chocobo, which left running at max speed. It didn’t take them long to find a small Hyur baby wrapped in a warm blanked at the doorstep of one of the rangers whose house was near the wooden gate that led outside the city. The village was still incredibly confused and, seeing as nothing was missing and they were not robbed, they sent out a small but quick searching party to try and catch up to the bizarre couple. They travelled quite a few hours, but managed to find the chocobo, badly shaken and feathers ruffled. Some more searching and they found signs of a scuffle but no blood and no trace of the couple; there wasn’t even a trail to follow. They took the chocobo back to the village and reported their findings; the party still tried to find further clues in the days followed, but alas.

When deciding who would be willing to take on the child, the ranger whose doorstep had been the delivery point was the first to step in. And so, with a small little Hyur under her care, the ranger Elezen named Elfene Viebelle found herself gazing into lovely forest green eyes and a whole new advanture ahead.

The hearts of stone melts away

The village was compromised mainly of a mixed population of Hyur and Elezen, the latter in fewer numbers but who made up most of the hunting and scouting squads. It has been around 3 decades now that Elfene had settled in the village and quickly became one of the best rangers, taking great pride in keeping the community safe and secure. Few are the people who actually know her story though as she hides her heart behind a stone cold wall and keeps a sterns and logical approach to her daily tasks. But it’s clear that something happened to her back in Gridania all those years ago, as whenever Cellestitte mentions the place or tries to ask questions about Elfene’s past, the grows quiet and her eyes grow moist with retained sorrow. She once confined with the tavern keeper that she wanted to leave the continent, put water in between her and Gridania, but the forest always pulled her back. When she adopted the child, she named her Cellestitte Arendell and although she never told her why she chose the name it seems the mineral reminds her of something important in her old life, as does the name “Arendell”. Cellestitte proved to do wonders for her and brought forth a deeply motherly facet she didn’t know she had.

The happiest child

Cellestitte was always a truly happy child. She was nice to everyone, loved to play around the forest and run with the animals and her giggles sounded like a bubbling happy river, crossing the soft pebbles. She retains a great curiosity for things she sees for the first time and has a relaxed attitude towards life. Since she was a child, she has had a recurring dream: she sits on a field of tall luscious grass and looks at the dark sky which is illuminated with beautiful shining stars, the likes of which she has never seen either in such abundance or shine in the village skies. She dreams it every so often and just as she had forgotten about it, she has another dream to remind her. She tried asking Elfene what it would mean since the dream doesn’t go away and nothing really happen on it, just star gazing. But alas, the Elezen is as puzzled as she is.

When Cellestitte was deemed “of age old enough to travel alone” by Elfene (who had grown a tad overprotective), Cellestitte told her she wanted to find more about her dream. Elfene was surprised that when she asked Cellestitte if she wanted to find what happened to her birth parents, she shrugged and told her that she had no desire to search them out, as Elfene was her real mother and the village her family, as far as she was concerned. With that weight lifted off her shoulders and a tear at the edge of her eye, Elfene advised Cellestittle to travel to Gridania and seek the advice of the conjurer’s guild, who might have some clues as to her dream. And off she went, bidding goodbye to the whole village (which in itself took almost a day) and she set off on her first travel. Speaking with E-Sumi-Yan provided little clue however, as he was more delightfully puzzled at this enigmatic dream than anything else. However, he did provide some advice in the arcane arts as Cellestitte had a great attunement to the flowing aether. On his advice, she is pursuing knowledge and practice of the arcane arts, in the hopes she might one day discover a clue to her dreams.

Personality:

Cellestitte is quite happy-go-lucky, with a charming smile and a gentle demeanor. She possesses great curiosity of the world, not knowing much outside of the stories of the village. She also loves to eat delicious feed and hopes to perfect her culinary arts one day. While she has some experience with a bow, everyone is quick to agree that it’s not her forte (especially Elfete, who was rather disappointed) and she’s quite pleased with an ornate cane or wand at any time.

I went for a simple backstory that would allow some flexibility as the story progresses. From a gameplay point of view, I'm thinking of having my main class as astrologian, which inspired me for the strange dream Cellestitte keeps having. Hopefully, practicing astrology will her her decipher this, we'll see.

Comments, suggestions and anything else if very much appreciated. Than you for taking the time to read!

Hello,

I don't seem to see any mistakes or anything jarring per se. 

This bit of lore and gridanian fluff, especially regarding woodsin and how strangers come and go into Gridania, might prove of interest to you if ever you want to expand on it.

Best of luck!

I'm not yet an expert on Hydaelyn lore, but from what I have been able to learn (especially ingame, I've started in Gridania myself) so far, your backstory sounds plausible. Especially if after she was abandoned as a child, the elementals themselves vouched in favor of saving a wronged innocent life and Elfene (being a ranger) felt it as a calling from the elementals since Celestitte was left on her doorstep.

As for the astrologian part, you'll learn and understand a lot more about them once you start traveling to Coerthas and run into their observatorium (I've decided for a completely different route for my char, but have to say the intricacies of Ishgardian lore and astrology are really interesting). 

Thank you all for the lore check.

Valence, thanks for the link, I'll read up on the lore on elemental and Gridania. UnidressGaming, thanks for the suggestions, I might include some fluff on Cellestitte's affinity with elemental latter on.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, UnidessGaming said:

As for the astrologian part, you'll learn and understand a lot more about them once you start traveling to Coerthas and run into their observatorium (I've decided for a completely different route for my char, but have to say the intricacies of Ishgardian lore and astrology are really interesting). 

Caveat, take care not to mix Ishgardian Astrology and Sharlayan Astrology (the ingame job), which are two very, very different things. Basically the former is mostly an art observing constellations in order to predict dravanian invasions and a few magic phenomenons. The latter is time magic used for a shitload of different things, healing among these.

5 hours ago, Valence said:

Caveat, take care not to mix Ishgardian Astrology and Sharlayan Astrology (the ingame job), which are two very, very different things. Basically the former is mostly an art observing constellations in order to predict dravanian invasions and a few magic phenomenons. The latter is time magic used for a shitload of different things, healing among these.

Considering they mentioned the stars in dreams, I thought it would be more in line with the Ishgardian astrology, from what I've seen of it until now anyway. 😜 I haven't tried the astrologian class at all yet, so have to admit I'm completely clueless on its lore so far ^^. 

The job lore, Sharlayan Astrology is also focused on constellation where it draws its power from, so no worries there.

Both however have very different requirements to be learned and accessed in lore.

Edited by Valence

Wow, this is very interesting information, I thought there was only one Astrology "school" in the game, which pretained to the job class itself. I'll need to think and read up a bit more in which of the two my character's dream would fit the best.

I'd like to mention I really have no plans yet as to what the dream actually means, it's completely open and under construction, mostly because I don't want to write myself into a corner just yet.

But since I AM planning of making her a main Astrologian class, perhaps it might be a good idea to start from there and then discover there are yet other paths in astrology to find. This could be a good opportunity for more traveling around.

It certainly leaves you open to a good deal of character development. Especially if you take the route of discovering things alongside your character, knowing where you'd like to end but leaving the journey up to be shaped with time as you go.