Narrowing down the jobs

When I started to play Shadowbringers, I was a Machinist and Gunbreaker at the time, saying that my character couldn't use magic, like how Thancred couldn't, using the guns cartage system to use spells or w/e.

Looking at Machinist, I thought the same could be said about there cartage system, but as far as the other jobs go, I know that the mage classes would be a no go ((shouldn't have to explain why)), but the other jobs like Paladin, Dark Knight, and Ninja, these three jobs use magic in a way, right? Do the other jobs, such as Dragoon, Dancer, and Bard use magic?

I'm ask because, I want to "try" and have paladin work with the can't use magic bit.

Edited by Boric Natasch

Machinist relies somewhat on your own aether since the aetherotransformer primary function is to transform the body reserves into levin aspected aether in order to power all the machina and shots they use. It's not a mage per se since machinists don't speak magical incantations and summons and use their contraption instead, but someone with very poor aetherial reserves or abilities would probably be a pretty poor machinist.

Same for gunbreaker, but since its aetherial powers are mostly limited to the cartridges that are imbued in aether, that's why Thancred can just shrug it off and let Minfillia refill them for him.

As for the Paladin and Dark Knight, they both rely heavily on aether and magical abilities. That said, nothing blocks you from having your character be simply someone who fights with sword and shield, or a greatsword, without necessarily be either of the jobs.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:36 PM, Valence said:

Machinist relies somewhat on your own aether since the aetherotransformer primary function is to transform the body reserves into levin aspected aether in order to power all the machina and shots they use. It's not a mage per se since machinists don't speak magical incantations and summons and use their contraption instead, but someone with very poor aetherial reserves or abilities would probably be a pretty poor machinist.

Same for gunbreaker, but since its aetherial powers are mostly limited to the cartridges that are imbued in aether, that's why Thancred can just shrug it off and let Minfillia refill them for him.

Maybe in that case, a aetherotransformer that actually uses ambient Lightning aether to power up? 

You don't have ambiant lightning everywhere or at every time, but in certain places or during a storm, sure, plenty of it.

But yes you could theorically "just" use an aetherotransformer that draws aether from the land around. You'd understand though that designing such a contraption you'd immediately face 2 problems:

- How do you tell the transformer to draw from the land only and not also from everyone or every creature that gets trapped into the radius/beam/whatever? (can probably be solved by fancy aetherometric filters and whatnot). Also the transformer would probably be a lot more complex and uh... BIG to vacuum everything in a ten yalms radius...

- How do you tell people you're not basically a black/white mage sucking up the land dry? I mean it's probably easy to conceal to such a small scale but still. Can be an interesting story hook in itself.

Edited by Valence