Nobles?

Averis

Haha, not at all. Debate is healthy. (Also welcome!)

I agree with some parts, but there's kind of a few examples of some nontraditional nobles in game. There's Raubahn Aldynn who's one of the most looked up to people in all of Ul'dah. He started with nothing once his home was destroyed, came to Ul'dah, became a gladiator champion, used the money to buy the arena, and this gave him a place in the Syndicate. Giving him a huge political and powerful standing in Ul'dah. In Ul'dah, gil is everything and because of that some man from no where managed to become one of the most noble figures in that city-state. He's just one example. There's also supposedly several rich people. and then the tradtional nobles you speak of in the Syndicate. 

From what I've read on the forums, I think the more traditional nobles would probably reside in Ishgard since from what I read they have banner men, and four big noble houses. 

Oh, no. I think you misunderstand. I think it makes sense no matter how you get your money and power. You can be like Raubahn who started with nothing and gained power and prestige in the city, and you have folks like in the Syndicate who are more like tycoons of big business. It doesn't matter who their families are, because their power is in the companies they control, like the East Aldenard Trading Company, or Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern.

Flame General Raubahn Aldynn is indeed a "noble figure," though, in that he is an exceptional individual. If that's all you guys mean when you say "noble" then I guess I misunderstood.

I wasn't pointing out anything but the use of the words "noble" and "house", really, which are words unique to Ishgard in the game. I think the only "traditional nobles" are the ones in Ishgard.

That said, anyone's character can get rich and powerful to some degree in various fashions. We definitely agree on that.

Just have to be in a rich family. The richer you are, generally the higher your social status. The rich Lallafell who has owned a collection of mines for generations would probably be considered a noble. The character themselves do not have to be the ones to amass the wealth as their parents or grandparents could have been the one to do so. If your parents become rich its not like they wouldn't continue to share that wealth with you in an effort to keep the entire family line rich and..well..noble. 

Aaa, but if a rich man goes bankrupt he ceases to be rich. When a count goes poor, he's still a count.

Ho ho ho. Good point.

Edit: But wouldn't he still lose his title  because it requires money to hold a position such as that? I could be wrong as I admit I am not an expert on all this hooty tooty rich people stuff :D

Nope, they still keep their title. They can voluntarily relinquish their title/status, but even then, you still keep your friends and former connections and those folks still afford you a bit of dignity. There are other considerations, too, especially dealing with marriage.

Don't forget, there are many actresses and actors that get Knighted because of accomplishments, not money. That title can, of course, be used to gain contacts and generate wealth of a sort, but that's a side-benefit and not reliant on the title. There are many examples for other titles, too. Dame/Dukes have been Middle-class or lower and have jobs, but they have privilege of royalty and the right to attend the queen, irrespective of financial status.

But it can get pretty complicated; some are "honorable titles" and given as a courtesy, but you are still granted some privilege/status, even if you are poor, just because of your current/former associations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtesy_titles_in_the_United_Kingdomhttp://

:bomb:

Just to add to the whole "house" and "noble" terminology debate, I figured I'd drop this here.

There was a quest in Ul'dah that indicated the use of the the term "house" in regards to a past wealthy family called House Skryvner. The term "lord" has also been used to describe many of the wealthy house leaders (like Lord Lolorito, Lord Skryvner, etc). You can view the full transcripts of the quest regarding House Skryvner here:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dressed_to_Be_Killed/Plot_Details

Some of the Ul'dahn Syndicate members have also been referred to as "nobles," such as in this FATE (that's right...Eolande from 1.0 is apparently dead ; ; ): http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/A_Few_Arrows_Short_of_a_Quiver

Additionally, there's also a hint of the term "house" being used in Gridania, though this is a bit more open to interpretation. There's a drop in a Gridanian dungeon that makes mention of House d'Arlendre: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Heart_of_House_d%27Arlendre

[[Knows entirely way too much about the upper class of Eorzea >.>]]

Just wanted to add a little tidbit here since Ishgardian nobility was briefly touched upon earlier and has some bearing in Eva's own backstory.  From this gamerescape page:

"Among the noble houses of Ishgard's class structure, four are known as "high houses" that have considerably more power than the rest; among them are House Durendaire, House Fortemps, and House Dzemael, the latter of which holding the most influence."

Just to add to the whole "house" and "noble" terminology debate, I figured I'd drop this here.

There was a quest in Ul'dah that indicated the use of the the term "house" in regards to a past wealthy family called House Skryvner. The term "lord" has also been used to describe many of the wealthy house leaders (like Lord Lolorito, Lord Skryvner, etc). You can view the full transcripts of the quest regarding House Skryvner here:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dressed_to_Be_Killed/Plot_Details

Some of the Ul'dahn Syndicate members have also been referred to as "nobles," such as in this FATE (that's right...Eolande from 1.0 is apparently dead ; ; ): http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/A_Few_Arrows_Short_of_a_Quiver

Additionally, there's also a hint of the term "house" being used in Gridania, though this is a bit more open to interpretation. There's a drop in a Gridanian dungeon that makes mention of House d'Arlendre: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Heart_of_House_d%27Arlendre

[[Knows entirely way too much about the upper class of Eorzea >.>]]

Oh my goodness. That's really interesting!

You know, I came in here with an observation (an incorrect one, it seems--I didn't get to play 1.0 and could only go by what lore I could find on the internet) that was contrary to what others were saying.

And we just, like, had a calm and rational discussion about it with lore justifications and everything.

I'm seeing that all over this site, actually. You guys are really mild and laid-back about stuff, but you know your lore. That's, like, really refreshing to see in a roleplay community that's been around for as long as this one has. I like it.

So based on this information, there are some impressively wealthy and powerful Hyur individuals in and around Ul'dah who are referred to as nobles and who have family Houses, like the ill-fated Prokop of House Skryvner.

Noble families can have heirs and personal homes and estates outside of Ul'dah, likely in the lands governed by the city-state, such as the summer home of former Syndicate member Eolande Quiveron.

Their money is likely worth something in the other city-states, but their investments and family connections are probably all in and around Ul'dah, as there is no evidence (that I know of) that the convention has spread to the aesthetic and peaceful Gridania, or to the naval and pirate-run Limsa Lominsa.

As for the "House d'Arlendre" of Gridania, that looks to be an Elezen name (it has French naming conventions). According to Elezen Naming Conventions, Elezens are a proud people with such respect for their surnames that they don't share them between their two tribes. I don't know much about Elezen families, but their "houses" probably don't resemble Hyur noble houses, if only because they don't seem to live very lavish lifestyles in the Twelveswood.