Like New, Barely Used Roleplayer

Disglair

Good morning, afternoon, evening!

I've never been particularly good at, or fond of, writing introductions but here I am nevertheless! Once upon a time, when the servers still smelled like fresh plastic and logging in took literally days, I wandered blindly around Eorzea at a menacing 6fps on what I considered to be a good day.

I didn't stay overlong to enjoy the small pleasures of this fantastical place, and I do recall one of the last things I witnessed being a parade of male miqo'te in their newly released beachwear, endearingly referred to as 'bannana hammocks' by some of the more eccentric locals.

I left shortly thereafter, coincidentally.

At the time, I played on Balmung but upon my return I've chosen to make my home amongst the humble folk of Twintania. That may change hereafter, but for now, it is where my closest allies reside and so it is where I shall remain.

It's a pleasure to meet all of you.

On a more light-hearted note, the name on my profile proclaims me as Disglair, and I play the aloof Disglair Wynter! I couldn't help but write something in her tone.

I'm basically new to all this, seeing as I've not played since launch and even then it was a rather brief affair. 

It's lovely to see you all! I've read through a few of the numerous profiles on the wiki, and it's inspiring to see such creativity here!

Pv0O95D_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Disglair

Thank you so much for the welcome! I'll be quite honest, I didn't anticipate I'd ever return, but I'm glad I did tread beyond my inhibitions -- it's a beautiful game with such rich lore and the community has been uniquely approachable.

@Disglair I couldn't agree more, the lore is fascinating! I've only played a couple of other Final Fantasy games so I didn't know they went so deep into explaining the function of magic. FFXIV essentially has its own set of meta physics to help the fantastic setting feel as fleshed out as possible. I love it when writers do that. ^_^ 

• 6 months later...

Hello again! I had a question pertaining to community and especially that of the roleplaying variety. 

I've considered transferring and, naturally, my sights are set on the storied Balmung, or the more approachable yet still esteemed Mateus. 

Truth be told, the restriction into Balmung is a deterrent for me even though I'd be paying for a transfer no matter what I do. It would make it difficult for friends to join me and if I wanted a new character, I assume I'd need to pay for the privilege of being with the rest of my herd. Of course the allure of such an exclusive and rich community is hard to bypass, but I digress.

Is Mateus a server that's worth transferring to in 2020? Do you think there are major drawbacks to being on either sever? I'm sure there's a million threads on this exact topic, but I thought I might ask in the light of the new year.

Hi!

I roleplay actively on Balmung. Something to keep in mind is that with the new World Visit system, you don't need to make your character in Balmung or Mateus to RP on those servers. As long as you're somewhere on the Crystal datacenter you can visit both freely and all it takes is a 10 second loading screen. I have a couple regular contacts on Goblin for instance. That being said; I've roleplayed on Mateus because of this world-visit system, and there's plenty of roleplay there. I always recommend the Crystal datacenter to anyone who wants an active RP community, the actual server itself doesn't matter much, so you can't go wrong with Mateus. It and Balmung are definitely the two big RP servers on here and if you're insistent on your home server having plenty of RP without world-visiting, then I think you'll be pleased with Mateus too.

While I've RPed on Mateus from time to time, I don't think I have enough personal experience to say for sure that there are or aren't differences, but my general impression from what I've seen is that RP is largely the same on both as far as quality goes. So I don't know if there are "drawbacks" to each one if we're talking RP. I guess the most concrete thing I can say is that the competition for housing is intensely fierce on Balmung compared to every other server, Mateus included. So that's a downside for Balmung, but that's the only thing I can think of.

I appreciate the insight! It's the sort of thing I'd like to base my decision on, and the reassurance that people can (and do!) hop around freely is something I was hoping was the case. 

Based on what you've said and what I've read, I'll likely transfer to Mateus - if only to save myself the pains of competing for a home.