Respiratory Problems.

Heard people were having some respiratory problems around here, think I got some medicine for that- wait thats not what RP means?

Low effort jokes aside, while I have been RPing for many years now, I am very, very new to this game and have no idea what I am doing as of yet.  Honestly, I'm just mostly a WoW refugee, never RPed on WoW though for... well, obvious reasons, WoW RP is far, far from the best.  I have heard mostly good things about this game and pretty good things about the RP community overall, especially compared to other games at the moment so figured I'd give it a chance and meet some nice folk on here.

That being said, (no offense to anyone in asking this obviously) how is the RP on here overall?  Can you actually find some decent RP while out doing stuff in the world or is it like some other games like this where the only RP you ever find is in overly crowded towns/taverns filled with ERP bait and edgelords?

I assume combat done in RP is done via /me's and what not hopefully?

And last but not least, does one need to be max level to get decent RP and I would have to grind out the levels and quests super hard, or would I be good just taking my time leveling?

Edited by Santuckcasper

Welcome to the RPC (and FFXIV)! I'm a WoWfugee too! it's still kinda there, though. if i get bored.. which is rare.. but it's less and less every time

I have had some great interactions here. I had some pretty okay interactions with people in WoW, but I've had m u c h more fun here.  In my experience, the RP can happen anywhere. It's not limited to major cities. I have had random encounters while out in the world, unlike in WoW where the only thing that I knew for certain is I would get mediocre (no offense to anyone!) RP in Stormwind and/or sometimes Boralus. You'll get some.. interesting.. encounters sometimes, though! If you go to the Quicksand, it could be like a visit to Goldshire with some of the population there. But that's not all that's there. There's no TRP or MRP here, but there is the Search Info bubble that you can click that'd kind of give you an idea about a person. It's definitely limited in terms of space, but you should be given good little elevator pitches! Some even have a carrd written up, which is a one page website dedicated to their character. There are wikis, Tumblrs, and I'm sure a million other things I don't know about thrown together too!

I don't do combat RP so I can't speak for sure here, but I've attended a few to support some people in the little big arena one (I can't remember it's name D:) and it was stuff typed in /em with a /roll afterwards. The defender would do a /roll to see if they could block against it and follow that up with an /em and pair them together. I could be super wrong about this, so don't believe me on this!

You can get great RP going as soon as you start the game! We are not all the hero(ine) that is in the story. We are all just people doing what we can to get by. Some of us are mercenaries, some are traffickers, some are smithies and so on. I almost feel like a great time to begin to roleplay here would be in the early stages, because we're all such little balls of clay in the beginning. There are people you can meet along the way that can help mold you and figure out more about what you want to do and what you don't want to do. Heck, you may even find someone to partner and do things with! And we can visit other servers that are on the same data center, too.. so you're not just stuck with folks on Mateus. You're stuck with us all that are in the same data center~  That's not to say that you won't find anything later on, though. Things do open up as you progress, like Glamours (transmog). This is my endgame content. And, erm, minions. That I don't ever use. 

As far as the story goes, I would say take your time with it. If you're like me and I'm sure a lot of other people, and you're just sucked into the game and you want to just keep playing, play! ARR was tough for me to get in to, but I feel like it picks up a whole lot with HW content. Do what makes you happy. You're in a great place here with a wonderful community. There are some great finds here in the RPC as well, where you can get news on events and the people behind them! Hydaelyn is your oyster and there are 998989987989 pearls to be found. The beauty of it all, I think, is that you can pick out which ones you want.

So, again, welcome to FFXIV! I know we're happy you're here and a part of the RPC<3

Heh, Hello there from a fellow WoW refugee. I'm a vet of the game. Been involved since before it's vanilla launch on 2004. I must say that this game has sucked me in. As Kirakira did mention above, there are so many details to this game, that it has literally blown me away. From the diverse RP I have seen, to the actual PvE atmosphere. I'm also very new to this game and learning about the ins and outs. I also welcome you to the RPC. It's got a lot of info available to skim through like Lore, RP event planning etc.. I see you are also on Metaus. If you ever need a hand, or need a question answered; I mean i'm no expert, but what I do know and can do, I will most definitely share and help you the best I can. You can find me as Le'daren Draech. 

Again, welcome and have fun!

As a longstanding WoW Refugee to another, the RP community here is very diverse, and the community as a whole has been a breath of fresh air from where I came from in WoW! Everyone is very patient with new players and many, from what I've seen, like to help them too, either through the mentor program, or through just generally asking questions. Just like Le'daren said, If you ever need help I'm Kodlak Slafwilfsyn on Mateus as well! 

15 hours ago, Kodlak Slafwilfsyn said:

From what I've seen, you put it into your search info as WU/T, that lets people know you're up for walkups and such.

So uh... what is the search info exactly and how do I access mine?  Still figuring out how to access half the stuff in game lol

The search info is just where you can put a blurb of information out there, I know RPers like to put their status's and maybe profile links if they have them. If you select yourself in the party frame and selecting yourself and doing "Edit search info" From there you can put that little bit of information. :D

26 minutes ago, Kodlak Slafwilfsyn said:

The search info is just where you can put a blurb of information out there, I know RPers like to put their status's and maybe profile links if they have them. If you select yourself in the party frame and selecting yourself and doing "Edit search info" From there you can put that little bit of information. :D

Oh ok, thanks, didnt know I had to use the party thing to access that.  Bit of a silly way to have to access it I have to say.