Do you enjoy having to repair gear?

Hello,

I'm new to the world of RP. I've been thinking lately about the gear repair mechanic. One of the small things often brought up is that it adds realism. I figured that if that realism matters to anyone, it would be the RP community, so I thought it would be fun to ask on here: do you find that the repair mechanic helps you feel immersed in the game, or is it a minor chore for you (as most players describe it)?

Thanks!

It’s not really that big of a deal for me, personally. I just go to a mender when I’m in a city and top off when I remem..need to.

Is it possible for other people to repair your gear? I feel like that could make some good/fun interactions.

Before ARR (I think in 1.22 or something) they added the feature for other players to repair your gear (mats taken from the requesting player). Though repairing was much more expensive then than it is now (more expensive than 2.0 even). They haven't added it back since then - I'd be interested to learn why, from a design standpoint.

The only kind of game where gear repairing makes sense is one that's trying to encourage codependence among players, i.e. by making repair something only players with a certain job at a certain level can do, with no NPC alternative.  In FFXIV and most other games, it has no point.

I don't mind doing it, but I don't like that it's only there as a mindless homage to earlier games that included as many annoying "features" as possible just for the sake of "difficulty."

Edited by Vaz

I don't find it to be particularly realistic nor do I believe that realism/immersion is why the mechanic exists. I'm pretty sure it's there just to dissuade people from cheesing content by throwing themselves at it until they eventually win. Even so, I'm not quite certain that the game wouldn't be better without it. It's nothing but a chore to me.