Newcomer to Eorzea, sort of

Iranda

Hello. I will begin with the facts.

MMORPG background

WoW, TERA when it was in beta.

RP experience

Jedi Academy, WoW, TERA, roleplayer since 2006 or something.

Character ideas/info

I'm going to need a lot of help with this stuff.

One character is meant to be an adventurer wielding an axe, with a high power level able to slay big monsters. High-fantasy berserker type.

If it matters, I selected Menphina for this character, for reasons I forgot. How much do birthdates and the patron deity matter for RP? How can it affect RP?

This character is meant to hail from Limsa Lominsa, but from a background that is not nautical or piratey. Preferably a woodworker background to justify the Axe-mastery.

I know that playing the Warrior of Light is off-limits and do not intend to do such. How are such things handled? How does the Echo work, and who can have it? Details please!

The other character was originally a "Battle Butler" type, using Pugilist and the Best Man's outfit. Stoic butler that can karate-chop monsters and stop a bandit's blade by clapping both hands against the blade, that sort of stuff.

Then I discovered the Samurai class and played through Stormblood, and got the Garlean/Asian hybrid looking armor. I decided to expand my character's theme and got her a Magitek Bit as well.

So now she is an ex-garlean from the east (but her name is not a Doman styled name.). So perhaps her parents were Domans, absorbed into the Empire, they named her a non Doman name.

She then joined the Garleans, but discovered it was not to her liking or simply disagreed with conquering, thus defected (needs elaboration when and where and how).

Now works as adventurer, still has a few Garlean tools (a machinist rifle, a mini magitek bit, could use some help on magitek bits as well, if there is any lore around them).

Class-wise I intend her to be Sam/Pugilist main, Machinist and Gunbreaker as secondary class (due to both using guns, and gunblade, which makes sense for her to handle).
Tertiary classes I am not sure yet, i know she won't be a jack of -all- trades, definitely not a Paladin/Warrior or Dark Knight. I don't want to be too OP, but I can see her dabble in a few other jobs, such as Astrologian or Black Mage.

I will need help knowing where a character would IC learn this, if they have to IC be a part of that guild or cult, such as white mages, if they have to be trained by Padjals and know all the rituals, and so on.

I do not know where to ask for character workshop help so I just dumped it all here. I can just repost that part in the appropriate place.

How did you learn about the coalition

Google did it.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

Probably heavy and trying to be lore-accurate. I enjoy adventure, romance and personal stories. I am a bit shy and slow to trust others. It takes time for me to come out of my shell.

What is the FFXIV community's view on NSFW roleplay? I do not enjoy random lewd whispers or going onto one-night stands, for the record. Romance has to be wholesome.

I have been avoiding Ul'dah and the quicksand because of rumours, but how bad is it really? And do people that play intimate romances get into trouble at all?

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

I am European and have far too much time on my hand, which means I can roleplay a lot. I don't like sharing my real life stuff without a good reason or when I'm comfortable.

PS: The links here don't seem to work. I clicked on the various RP guides or the "General Lore Questions" and it simply sends me to the frontpage.

Hi, Iranda! I'm happy to see you've made your way here and I'll do my best to help out with some things, but I'm no expert.. so if someone out there can correct me on something, please do!

40 minutes ago, Iranda said:

selected Menphina for this character, for reasons I forgot. How much do birthdates and the patron deity matter for RP? How can it affect RP?

The Goddess of Love and the Moon! I'd say you picked a good one here, but I'm a softy so.. In my experience, patron deity doesn't come into play unless you bring it up. I feel like you could pick absolutely whatever deity you want in the beginning and have experiences or events happen that have your character place their faith elsewhere. As far as birthdates go.. I always just pick mine..

45 minutes ago, Iranda said:

I know that playing the Warrior of Light is off-limits and do not intend to do such. How are such things handled?

I'm a little lost here~ Are you asking how to handle someone else playing this way?

45 minutes ago, Iranda said:

This character is meant to hail from Limsa Lominsa, but from a background that is not nautical or piratey. Preferably a woodworker background to justify the Axe-mastery.

This works!

47 minutes ago, Iranda said:

How does the Echo work, and who can have it?

From what I understand, the Echo is what allows someone to be able to resonate with other people's souls and see their past. They can speak every language in the world, too. The Echo doesn't let the user get bothered by Primals and some can even transform. The Warrior of Light is not the only one that has been "gifted" this, though it is super rare~

57 minutes ago, Iranda said:

magitek bits

I think.. in Hydaelyn, Garlean imperials are the users of magitek while Garlean citizens lack the skill/ability for the workings of magic to the point of not being able to naturally manipulate aether at all, and make magitek. Probably suuuuuper wrong here.

1 hour ago, Iranda said:

Astrologian

My favorite! I kinda cheesed this one by saying Remi ran away and was adopted by a little wandering circus troupe. She was fascinated by the fortune tellers there, and they taught her what they knew. She picked up a little bit of this and a little bit of that from the people there.. and she's by no means an expert at anything.. but she can read cards, at the very least~

1 hour ago, Iranda said:

I do not know where to ask for character workshop help so I just dumped it all here. I can just repost that part in the appropriate place.

I think this is an okay place! There is also..

RP Discussion, for "RP-related discussions, roundabouts, inquiries, etc.": https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forum/6-rp-discussion/

AND Lore Discussion, for "Lore-related discussions about the world, races, events, and general canon of Final Fantasy XIV.": https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forum/37-lore-discussion/

The people there might be able to help you better!

1 hour ago, Iranda said:

Probably heavy and trying to be lore-accurate. I enjoy adventure, romance and personal stories. I am a bit shy and slow to trust others. It takes time for me to come out of my shell.

Super familiar with this here. For me, RP is a great way to help break out of that shell.. but you've been doing this a lot longer than I have so you already know that the people who are worth anything don't mind how long it takes to get through there and have you open up.

Also.. I spent over a year trying to get my tarot deck's major and minor arcana to line up with FFXIV lore, and I still don't even know if it's right ;_;

1 hour ago, Iranda said:

What is the FFXIV community's view on NSFW roleplay? I do not enjoy random lewd whispers or going onto one-night stands, for the record. Romance has to be wholesome.

I'm not.. sure. I've never done any RP like this, so I'm useless here.. but that kind of stuff would have to happen organically. There are some great characters out there with wonderful people behind them. I'm sure if your stories got to that point, it could happen~

2 hours ago, Iranda said:

I have been avoiding Ul'dah and the quicksand because of rumours, but how bad is it really? And do people that play intimate romances get into trouble at all?

Not as bad as people make it out to be, honestly.. at least in my experience. When I run through Quicksand to see the innkeeper, or hang out with one of my friends.. the naughty stuff is kept quiet. I don't get people trying to do anything with them, and I don't see anything other than regular tavern RP. I haven't heard of anyone getting into any trouble with the naughty stuff, but I'm assuming that's because the person they're doing it with has consented and agreed to do it back.

I hope this helped out, even if just a little bit! And I hope you continue to have a good time in FFXIV!

Welcome aboard Iranda, I'm glad you chose to join us! ^.^

I hope you don't totally abandon the idea of a Battle Butler, I love the sound of it! There's a posh chocobo armor set that, when applied, looks as if your character is being catered to and protected by their chocobo. :D I've been using this for one of my alts but a chocobo, as intelligent as they are, couldn't fulfill the role of a butler. Your Battle Butler on the other hand could be exactly what rich parents with adventurous children need. Or a character who is well off and wants to go adventuring themselves but needs a little protection to go with some of the creature comforts they're used to enjoying back home. 

All that being said your Samurai/Pugilist character sounds very promising. Dabbling in multiple jobs means multiple sources for background stories. What motivated them to try the job, professional reasons or personal? Who was the worst client or boss she ever worked for? Has a client ever stalled on a job payment because they weren't satisfied with the job, even though your character did everything they were asked to do? Basically any number of job experiences you've had or heard about IRL could be applied to your character. Most characters your see in RP will be able to relate to a hard day at work.. 

You could take the other approach as well and strike up a positive conversation relating to work. Perhaps someone has a pistol model your character has heard good things about and she'd like to ask a fellow adventurer about it. Although your character likely has lots of combat experience perhaps they see a spell cast in battle that they don't recognize and asking about it could help her in learning how to counter, dodge or shield against it. 

I can't find anything solid on whether a job must be learned in the game designated cities or not. I honestly doubt it since the Samurai and Monk schools are in Ul'dah. I think the in game locations represent where the official guilds are set up, but as with most things you can be home taught, self taught or learn from a small school or tutor. If you'd like to play it safe you could have your character learn one or more jobs from a teacher/trainer character you invent. That would add more to her story as you'd get to develop the teacher/trainer and their time with your character. 

Thank you all for the many replies. There is still a lot I have to think of, especially background and making things match lore and common in-universe sense.

I truly dread when some roleplayer veteran's character asks me a question that I suddenly can't answer!

How does it look regarding open RP? I know Ul'dah, but what about random RP elsewhere? Or is RP mostly in bubbles with the occasional 'public event' and people go back to their FC houses afterwards?

My dream is a living breathing world, where you walk through the twelveswood and randomly run into other roleplayers. If that doesn't already happen, we all should make it happen.

Or does RP rely on finding the right FC , with different FC playing within their own canon?

I believe the lore is kind of all over the place, so don’t feel too pressured in having to come up with something super crazy!

We have our share of sellswords, carpenters, magicians, strongmen.. You name it, we probably have at least one! Find what makes you happy and start from there~

I came back to FFXIV a couple of weeks ago, and haven’t really encountered anything out in the world. Then again, I was trying to get through the MSQ and not really out looking for anything.. so it could be out there!

i do know for sure that while RP FCs are great, you don’t have to be in one in order to find some fun RP 🙂