To new beginnings!

Hiya! I'm Morgan :)

I just got into this game a few weeks ago and am really having fun so far. I like writing stories and making art for the MMOs I play and am excited to get to know more about the game, the world, and all of the awesome fan creators and their characters in it!

I'm also fairly new to the world of RP! I can be shy, but I'm hoping I can find some writing partners here :D

If anyone has a discord group I could join or an FC on Coeurl, please let me know. I'm about 3/4's of the way through Heavensward and am looking for friends who I can share my thoughts with as I progress! 

Feel free to hit me up on discord (Morgan #6358) or in game (my BLM Rashont Villsoix on Coeurl). I also have a warrior WoL, Nova Ridnisch, that I play on the same server. 

I also have a tumblr: supernova-ffxiv

I look forward to making some friends here! ❤️

Welcome to the FFXIV RP community! I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far and share in your excitement when it comes to learning about the fascinating lore and seeing how creative FFXIV fans can be!  

Many of us are shy at first (and some of us remain bashful for life 😅 ) but FFXIV is a good setting for budding RPers, in no small part due to the mostly relaxed nature of its community. I hope you find this website helpful as you form connections with others in the game.  :D 

3 hours ago, Moon Type said:

Welcome to the FFXIV RP community! I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far and share in your excitement when it comes to learning about the fascinating lore and seeing how creative FFXIV fans can be!  

Many of us are shy at first (and some of us remain bashful for life 😅 ) but FFXIV is a good setting for budding RPers, in no small part due to the mostly relaxed nature of its community. I hope you find this website helpful as you form connections with others in the game.  :D 

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! That goes a long ways to making this shy one a little more inclined to reaching out :D

As far as the lore goes, what I'm loving so far is that there's a lot of wiggle room in which to create because there are gaps to be filled and not everything is so set in stone as in other games I've played. I'm particularly fascinated with Miqo'te and Au Ra culture! I can't wait to learn more as I progress through the story~ ❤️

Hey welcome to the community! Dont worry about being new because all of us were there at one point. Just play the game at your own pace and enjoy what it has to offer, trust me it's quite the experience. I'm afraid I don't much about the RP scene in Coeurl but if you ever have questions or are looking for RP I'd be glad to help if I'm able to.

6 hours ago, Tricksterpale said:

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! That goes a long ways to making this shy one a little more inclined to reaching out :D

As far as the lore goes, what I'm loving so far is that there's a lot of wiggle room in which to create because there are gaps to be filled and not everything is so set in stone as in other games I've played. I'm particularly fascinated with Miqo'te and Au Ra culture! I can't wait to learn more as I progress through the story~ ❤️

You're very welcome! Like Lone Adventurer said we've all been there. ^_^

I concur that the lore has a good amount of breathing room, the game developers themselves push at the boundaries in the various game quests. The setting has its own explanation of physics, right down to the atom, yet it's fluid enough that those natural laws can be used to explain everything from magic use to something as simple as a chameleon changing its colour. :D 

Similar to The Elder Scrolls setting aetheric manipulation can be used relatively casually for baking, makeup, sowing or even for non-magic based classes like the punches and kicks of a monk. And those that can't manipulate aether? That just opens up an alternative suite of RP opportunities! \o/ How do they get by? Do they hire someone to help them apply aether? Do they have to work twice as hard for half the results and does that foster resentment? Do they use technology to compensate? etc. 

I see....yeah that makes sense!

So for those born unable to manipulate aether...can they still use aetherytes? Also I remember there was a character for the thaumaturge questline who was unable to cast spells because his aether level was far too low? His brother had said that trying to cast a spell might even kill him. I thought that was very interesting and might want to play with the concept in a character design! 

Thank you for sharing this interesting tidbit!

You're very welcome! ^__^ 

If I remember right all the people of Eorzea can manipulate aether to some extent, it's just a matter of how much they can channel and how good they are at it. So people who are normies with low anima (I have an engineer character like that)  won't be casually shooting fire out of their hands to light the fireplace. Pure blooded Garleans aren't able to manipulate aether at all, not even on a fundamental level. That's one of the reasons why they developed magitek to help close the gap between them and their neighbours.

Those born unable to manipulate aerther can't use the aetherytes at all. In fact, the average person can't use aetheryte teleporters as freely as the WoL or Scions due to the cost of using them, the amount of energy it would require and the time and energy it would take to even become attuned to them in the first place. A farmer from LaNoscea would have to put his life on hold for several months just to travel to Ishgard and become attuned to an aetheryte there. And each time he returns would cost a crazy amount of gil and energy. That's why most NPCs are like "Nope, gimmie that chocobo caravan life, bruh!" 

I remember that part of the thaumaturge quest line, I felt so bad for that character. :(  I absolutely love that the jobs have such detailed quests, even the crafting jobs! And Square Enix continues to support the crafting  jobs with content so they don't seem left out. There's apparently even an upcoming event for fishing in the next patch. \o/ 

Edited by Moon Type

Oooohh that's so interesting. I didn't know the Garleans aren't able to manipulate aether at all. I guess that WOULD explain their fascination with magitech. Huh. 

And yeah, that makes sense. I was sitting over here like, "So why are their still chocobo caravans when aetherytes exist?" but that would explain it. I imagine that fee to travel gets pretty hefty. Lord knows it does in game, lol. 

YES, I love that there are in depth questlines for each crafting job! Makes it that much more fun :DD 

Another cool thing about the detail in how aetherytes work is that there's nothing stopping someone from RPing a character who can use them more than the average NPC. But for people who are RPing the average person it means long RP road trips and hikes and stuff! \o/  I have a character who's a chemist student but very young, so hiring a character to help her travel and gather will result in her singing their praises to other RP characters who may also need help. Long trips help foster bonds between characters and allows a nice opportunity for character stories and lore to reinforce one another. ^_^ 

I forgot to mention that one can't help another person get through an aetherytes, so this allows character teleportation proficiency to remain a personal RPer choice as it won't effect anyone else. If I have a hankerin' to RP a character who must venture to a far flung corner of The Black Shroud to discover the truth behind their potential biological father, another character can't swoop on in, teleport my dude and cut all the travel and adventure out of the story in mere minutes. X)  And by the same token I can't OOCly be like "no teleporting you guys! D:< " if someone wants their character to use an aetherytes.