Common sayings and 'racial flavor'?

Imsey

My apologies if I've missed a thread for this, I looked about but came up empty handed.  I saw a thread on cursing, which was rather fun and informative.  x]  Not quite what I was seeking though.

In the very small taste of the world I've gotten from the beta so far (meaning Gridania and one dialog in Ul'dah), I haven't really noticed too much difference in the way characters speak.  There seems to be 'formal' and 'common'.  When I get to play I imagine these questions will become more clear, but perhaps those more experienced might know:

Are there common greetings/farewells/etc used in the game?  Would a greeting in Gridania differ from one from Ul'dah and so on?

Are there regional or racial dialects prominent in the game at all?

Are there any race or region specific sayings?

I'll likely be inventing a few sayings specific to my Keeper's tribe, but I'm curious to know if there's any fun flavors to speech already out there.

The only interesting thing I've noticed for speaking mannerisms is that the Lalafell actually alliterate an amazing amount. Everyone else seemed colorful, but not in a racially/group/regionally specific way that I saw. 

I'd actually love to know if anyone else has noticed anything too!

I haven't spent a lot of time in Limsa, but the short time I was there, it did seem like there was some sort of pirate/sailor speak among the locals.  I can't remember too well how it worked, but it did seem like they were dropping the opening consonant fairly frequently.

I also noticed the Lalafell seem to enjoy their alliteration.  The naming guide for Miqo'te mentions that their names include extra "aitches" (h) that come across when spoken as a gutteral or hissing aitch that other races have difficulty pronouncing (like Pahz instead of Paz, etc.).

The only interesting thing I've noticed for speaking mannerisms is that the Lalafell actually alliterate an amazing amount. 

I've noticed the Lalafell alliteration as well. Reminded me of Tobli from FFX-2. :P

I can't think of many, though I have heard NPCs say "Hells," as in multiple, though I don't recall a number ever given.

My friends and I have used "Thal's balls" as a curse-phrase.

I've been trying to start up "Visiting The Wanderer" or "Visiting Oschon," as meaning randomly wandering. ie: "Where are you headed?" "Visiting Oschon."

Aside from the stuff already mentioned, many NPCs from each region will make frequent references to their city-state's local patron diety in their speech (Llymlaen for Limsa, Nald'thal for Ul'dah, and Nophica for Gridania), and they range from simple cultural touchstones to curses ("Nophica's teats!"). Those might qualify as "region-specific sayings."

I can't think of many, though I have heard NPCs say "Hells," as in multiple, though I don't recall a number ever given.

I've been trying to start up "Visiting The Wanderer" or "Visiting Oschon," as meaning randomly wandering. ie: "Where are you headed?" "Visiting Oschon."

I think it's 7. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure I've seen "What in the Seven Hells?" 

On a side note: I'll adopt "Visiting Oschon". I like that one.

I've also seen "Who in Halone's bloody fury are you?"

Visiting The Wanderer and Visiting Oschon sound great, it'd be fun if those caught on. I may try to use those, too, if that's ok. n__n

Seems like the Twelve pepper speech quite a bit based on the responses here.

One of my personal favorites that you will see spoken by the less sophisticated in Eorzea would have to be, as mentioned ealier by Xenedra, "Thal's balls" Thal being one half of Nald'thal, who is the gatekeeper to the afterlife.

For Lominsans, " 'Til sea swallows all. " is basically their city-state's/grand company's motto. Basically means "Until the very end." They'll keep doing what they do until everything is literally consumed by the sea.

As of 2.0, seems like "Walk in the light of the crystal." is a common way of saying safe travels, etc.

Thal's balls... did anyone else read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series? The main characters had a number of epitaphs referencing the various gods, and all of them were of a particular fashion.

Ex: "Togg's teats" as a general curse/exclamation. Togg is male. His teats are useless. "Hood's breath"; Hood is the god of the dead. He doesn't have breath.

Thal's balls isn't quite in the same vein I would think, but it reminded me of that.

+1 for Woolsey expressions. Son of a submariner!

The only interesting thing I've noticed for speaking mannerisms is that the Lalafell actually alliterate an amazing amount.

I see what you did there. xD

(emphasis mine)

...How did I miss this?

I see what you did there. xD

(emphasis mine)

...How did I miss this?

My subtle salute to speech side-stepped your skimming? 8-)

The one that I noticed a LOT because it buggers the crap out of me is instead of the word "anyhow" a lot of NPCs (at least in gridania area) use "anyroad".  I read it and it just skews the whole damn conversation for me, I want to hurt 'em.  I've tried incorporating it into some practice RP i've had, but It makes me want to slit my throat..

The one that I noticed a LOT because it buggers the crap out of me is instead of the word "anyhow" a lot of NPCs (at least in gridania area) use "anyroad".  I read it and it just skews the whole damn conversation for me, I want to hurt 'em.  I've tried incorporating it into some practice RP i've had, but It makes me want to slit my throat..

By the gods, I thought I was the only one. I actually told my dad about that and he looked at me like I was mentally challenged.

By the gods, I thought I was the only one. I actually told my dad about that and he looked at me like I was mentally challenged.

Well, you and I just became best friends.

I've tried incorporating it into some practice RP i've had, but It makes me want to slit my throat..

I wouldn't go that far, but I don't like it very much either lol. It definitely distracts me when I read it and takes me out of my train of thought. Seems like an unnecessary change, since it's not like they don't have the words "how" or "way" in Eorzea.

It definitely distracts me when I read it and takes me out of my train of thought. Seems like an unnecessary change, since it's not like they don't have the words "how" or "way" in Eorzea.

That was my major issue. It ruined my immersion. I was then sitting on my couch incorporating the term "anyroad" into any sentence I can think of trying to make it have some degree of normalcy. It would be one thing if the word "how" didn't exist, BUT IT DOES. Ugh, Squeenix, why do you make my brain hurt. I'm an English major. :frustrated: