Questions about Seeker culture!

Hello all! I'm new to FFXIV, but not to RP, and I had a question. I really like the look and attitude of Seekers. But upon reading their cultural lore... well I had some concerns. Firstly I wanted to RP a more rough and tumble fella, and was gonna make him a Nunh, but now I have some concerns about that. I wanna start by saying I have no interest in romantic or "romantic adjacent" RP. It's not really my thing. I was going to make him a Nunh for the purpose of being a more warrior-oriented person, but I'm aware there are other connotations that come with the title. SO I guess my questions would be-

1. Is it considered obnoxious or worse to be a Nunh?

2. Nunhs can travel and not have any real political or tribal commitment, right?

3. If being one is gonna get me lots of eyerolls and other attention I don't want, are Tias considered weak? In the stuff I've read they're not super clear on that... I wouldn't think so, but eh.

Basically I really like this race but it seems like one perfect for RP drama. Hoping that's not the case, or at least it's not as bad as I fear! Thanks in advance!

A Nunh is specifically a breeding male, his entire purpose is to be around the tribe to sire kids. Not necessarily to romance, literally just to breed. He might have some small allowance to leave the tribe for a short time if the women allow it, but if he's called back and doesn't come running his title would likely be stripped. A Tia is not weak, they just either haven't fought to win the title of Nuhn or don't really have a mind to sire children, they're more free to leave as otherwise all they're used for is either to train to fight a Nunh for the title or be a gohper for the tribe.

Take for example U'odh Nunh, which you meet in msq as part of the group that originally killed titan, he is currently a Nunh, but when he was in the company of heroes he was a Tia, he'd considered it part of his training to be a Nunh. That was the only way that he would have been allowed to leave the tribe for so long.

As for unwanted attention, eh? Yeah there are going to be a few people that think that way, but most don't care. Tia's essentially have more freedom and Nunhs are just dads that have strong tribal ties. I've seen a few people pick a different last name to further ward off unwanted prejudices.

Edited by Cheeseowl

1. Unfortunately there are some stigmas against Nunh RPers, but I personally would recommend that no one sweats anything like that, because you'll always find some handful of people with a stigma against virtually anything. It's not really considered "obnoxious" in the sense of it being overpowered or lore-breaking or anything like that, since it's entirely plausible, just not everyone's cup of tea.

2. Nunhs do have a commitment to their tribe. They don't have a political commitment in the sense that they are necessarily a leader, but they are expected to do their job of siring children and proving they are still worthy of the Nunh title. There's nothing stopping your Seeker of the Sun from going rogue and still calling himself a Nunh, but he wouldn't be a "real" Nunh with a tribe of his own recognizing his status. There's nothing in the lore suggesting Nunhs can't travel, but realistically they'd still have to return often and spend enough time with their tribe to uphold their duties, and the more they are away, the more I'd imagine it's likely they're in danger of losing their status to any challengers.

3. Tias can still play important roles in their tribes or be strong. So it's really up to each individual and however they perceive it or want to have their characters react, but Tias are not necessarily seen as weak in general.

This is only assuming you want to play a tribal seeker, which isn't the only fish in the ocean. You'll find tias (and nunhs) that have lost all attachment to a life in tribe and live in cities instead like anyone else. It's more likely that nunhs that leave their tribe probably get back to their tia suffix, unless they want to boast about something...

Also, a tribe leader isn't always the tribe nunh, even if both tribes that got pictured ingame with the story (U Drake tribe and M Marmot tribe), both have tribe leader nunhs. Tribes will tend to have several nunhs if they grow big enough, but it's not always a given for the tribe leader. In the case of the M tribe I believe both nunhs shared the leadership.

If you want to play a virile tough tia, it'll be totally up to your roleplay and portrayal you'll do of him, not because of the surname you give him.

Edited by Valence