Veteran player, New to Roleplay

Hello everyone!

Honestly not sure where to start with all this roleplay stuff.  I've done paragraph styled RP Before on forums maybe 14 or 15 years ago, so it HAS been a while.  Have never done In game RP before.  I've made attempts, but my anxiety told me to reconsider and I allowed it to.  I've played this game since Beta 2, and love the world and lore that surrounds it.  Used to do mid-high tier raiding and what have you, but as this raid tier started to settle, I stopped, and just didn't know how to occupy myself.

However, Balmung opened back up, and I originally started there, figured, why not give it a try.  I love how lively the server is, especially at night when I mostly play.  But as I try to ease into actually role playing, all I seem to get are people following me and ERP requests.  It's not a bad thing but, for this character I'd prefer not to.  I also seem to clog up whenever I think someones approaching me, but I know I want to role play, I have an itch to develop a character in.

So I guess I just have a few questions, and figured this was the best place to do it.  I did read up on some of the handbooks here, and a lot of them were insightful and a good reminder of what not to do when interacting with people.

1) Where are good spots for casual or even heavy RP?  I'm sure the answer would come to joining an FC, but I'm curious as I'm new to the scene in general.

2) Are there specific tags I should be using to get the people I want to RP with? and is it a bad Idea to put that Im a new Roleplayer in my search info? will this deter people?

3)  Do you have any other advice for new people starting out?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!  Hopefully we run into each other in some form!

Welcome to the exciting world of FFXIV RP!

1) Balmung Ul'dah is the only big walk-up hub for RP. You can try to Quicksand/Adventurer's Guild, but it gets pretty crowded and is more ERP centric than ever after the World Visits were implemented. A lot of more serious RPers have moved to Pearl Lane right outside of the Quicksand, though. Otherwise, I recommend checking out an RP event (there are a lot on the calendar here), or finding a regular group to RP with somewhere, whether it's through joining an FC or just making some friends through a Discord or elsewhere.

2) I don't think saying you're new will deter anyone. Some good things for your search info may be if you're open to walk ups, if you want people to /tell you first, and a link to a carrd or some sort of bio for your RP character.

3) Nothing in particular, just relax and have fun and be courteous to others! :)

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! o/

In addition to the above...

1) I'd highly recommend joining the Balmung Discord Server where you can connect with a lot of other RP'ers easily. You can find FC's, independents, and you can get a glimpse of what they're all about before you interact with them. Here's a Discord invite: https://discord.gg/bnBSTeU The channels you primarily will want to watch are the #personal-ads and #community-ads. #lfrp-now is another possibility, but you have to hawk over that one pretty often since it's real-time right-now RP ads. 

2) Na, no tags. Generally people will post OOC preferences inside their character Carrds, if anywhere at all.

3) Personally, independent networking and connections via either the Discord or the RPC "Making Connections" forum will generally give you some of the meatiest RP you can find, as folks generally have an idea what they're looking for already, and they want to push a scene. FC's are more your one-size-fits-all niches where you can more easily blend into a crowd. You can do one or the other, or both! There's a lot of tradeoffs between the two approaches, but they're not mutually exclusive either. 

Awesome.  Thanks for answering a few of my questions.  Both these posts are super helpful, and a really good starting point.  Hopefully I can start with ease and be on my way!  Thanks again!