Crazy weather, huh?

Hello there! I'm just starting to dip my toes into FFXIV and especially its unique RP culture. I had a question regarding alt characters: is it acceptable to have a mirror of a character for another data center? 

I love being on Primal with one of my oc, but I want to try getting involved in Crystal's more robust rp scene at the same time. I'd love to know if that's frowned upon, officially or socially. 

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! o/

No, there's not really any holds against it. With server guesting having become a very big thing lately, it's not uncommon to have a single character be present across multiple servers and/or datacenters, and keep a single, monolithic "canon" to them that simply assumes all servers and datacenters constitute a singular world IC. In essence, that means that your character on Balmung would talk about characters or events having taken place on Primal, just the same way that a character on Mateus treats characters on Balmung the same way. 

Of course, you can go the totally opposite route and have the same character in different datacenters with a unique canon for each one if you wanted. It's not like anyone would know unless you told them anyway! 

Hello there, welcome! It's totally fine to create the same character on two different data centers, I don't see any reason anyone should take issue :)

9 hours ago, Thunderbolt300 said:

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! o/

No, there's not really any holds against it. With server guesting having become a very big thing lately, it's not uncommon to have a single character be present across multiple servers and/or datacenters, and keep a single, monolithic "canon" to them that simply assumes all servers and datacenters constitute a singular world IC. In essence, that means that your character on Balmung would talk about characters or events having taken place on Primal, just the same way that a character on Mateus treats characters on Balmung the same way. 

Of course, you can go the totally opposite route and have the same character in different datacenters with a unique canon for each one if you wanted. It's not like anyone would know unless you told them anyway! 

Thank you so much for both the welcome and clarification! It's interesting considering how I want to build the canon for my own characters, and if I want to multiverse it, how I'd represent that information to others. I really do love my time on Famfrit, but there's definitely not as strong a rp presence as Balmung by the looks of things. 

5 hours ago, Faye said:

Hello there, welcome! It's totally fine to create the same character on two different data centers, I don't see any reason anyone should take issue :)

Thank you very much, and excited but nervous to be here! I've been text roleplaying for the past fourteen years, across a few different formats (shout-out to neopets for getting me started) but I've never done MMO rping so the emote system is really intimidating for me! I adore the lore though. I'm glad I can mirror a character I like, though I'm gonna cry at the amount of glam I have to get for them haha.

Welcome aboard  @ariasune 😊  

If it helps soften the blow there are a few preferred serves on the Crystal data center which have experience bonuses at the moment, so you'll be able to rocket your new character's level progression! \o/ I think Mateus is currently listed as a preferred server.