An interesting poll...

I am a female and I ALWAYS play female characters. I can RP a female better (duh), and I just like their appearance options and armor options much better. Though I must admit FFXIV has done a wonderful job with male options as well.

I'm a male and have always played a male character. Though, recently, I've tried writing as a female and am told I do so quite well. I just find playing a male character to immerse me more, I find it easier to put myself in their shoes. That's just me though.

I'm female and my mains are generally female. I have two male alts that I've been known to RP frequently, though.

Oddly, in TERA I ended up outleveling my main on my male out and my male out became my main xD

I actually find it somewhat challenging to RP a male, I'm still working on getting the nuances right. I actually find it refreshing to just PLAY a male avatar, though. I'm treated differently.

I'm a female and I always play female characters too. Playing a man character to me is weird as hell. Plus I don't think I can pull off playing a guy anyway since men are still weird to me and stuff with how they think and junk.

Was this a poll of RPers or players in general?

Most MMOs I've played, I've done so as a non-RPer and guys playing chicks are everywhere so I could definitely believe this.

As a male, I would find it both awkward and difficult to play a female character. I really like to get into the head of the characters I play and I just don't think I could do that with another gender. I can't even do that with a tall character because I'm short IRL, so another gender is completely out of the question for me.

Not to say others shouldn't. It takes a lot of skill to switch genders in RP and make it believable.

I'm a guy IRL, and I play either/or depending on the game and how the models look/animate. Whether armor looks dumb on them, whether they're too big or too small, whether their animations are fluid, etc.

I'm RPing a female character right now because it actually feels easier to me than the opposite. I don't want to feel like I "am" the character, I want to be able to think rationally about the character's personality from a distance and use that to calculate how she'd be most likely to react to any given situation, which probably says a lot about the way I approach RP.

I don't believe there's any way that you can say "here's how a man would react to this situation, and here's how a woman would react instead." Doubly so when the world/culture/species you may be RPing in is not at all similar to whatever you may be familiar with in real life.

I'm female and my mains are generally female. I have two male alts that I've been known to RP frequently, though.

Oddly, in TERA I ended up outleveling my main on my male out and my male out became my main xD

I actually find it somewhat challenging to RP a male, I'm still working on getting the nuances right. I actually find it refreshing to just PLAY a male avatar, though. I'm treated differently.

As someone who has RPed as both male and female characters I definitely agree that there is a difference in the way other characters treat the two. I found out that I am able to get away with a lot more mischief when playing a female character over a male.

I'm mostly female, with male moments (or something) and moments of just not really giving a **** about gender.

I have played both male and female characters. Kyma has been my longest standing male character, although he's so shy and quiet, and usually doesn't end up straight (I let RP dictate that), so some people argue that I'm not really playing a guy; I based Kyma off of a boy I knew and loved to death (literally), so...meh.

Many of my female characters have had various Action Girl characteristics, largely due to studying historical women of badassery as a child/teenager. I'm also somewhat of a tomboy (and was considered to be even more so as a kid, due to the gender norms of the time), so I've only played a handful of truly girly characters.

Those that aren't some form of Action Girl tend to be some sort of Arcane Scientist, or Magically Delicious Evil.

More recently, I've also been playing gender neutral characters as well, but I think that's slightly outside of this survey's intent.

I don't think gender of the player should matter at all as long as they can get into the character. I have seen both played really well and both played not so well. And if they aren't RPers then it matters even less.

I am a female and personally I play both. My male characters tend to be very chivalrous to the point of not really interested in woman or gay. I have tried to play the male that is interested in females and it just doesn't work.

I'm female and mostly play as female but I do have a male in GW2 and it was interesting to see how differently he's treated. For example, he once backed down from an argument, preferring to take the high road, and was asked why he was giving up so easily. My assertive female character, however, has often been told to shut up and let it go. Hmmm.