New to rping in mmos!

So I've been writing for a very long time outside of mmos and this will be my first foray into roleplaying in a mmo. What I have to ask is what comes across as too godmoddy? From what I understand, we cannot actually roleplay any of the jobs as doing so/being the wol is frowned upon, but we can however be a conjurer or a lancer if we wished?
So would a viera conjurer/dancer be frowned upon? Especially if I had them have training from Sharlayan Teachers.
Just curious and wanting to know some do's and don'ts.

Welcome! :)

Well, different roleplayers have different opinions on the viability of RPing different jobs. I don't think what you said is a very common opinion, though. In fact, I've never heard of someone who feels that way. A lot of jobs are very accessible in the lore and very easy to justify ^_^. I'd say it depends on the job! For example, it's highly illegal to practice White Magic unless you're a Padjal, or the very specific one-time exception of the Warrior of Light. Good luck getting someone to teach you that. That being said, conjurer is almost identical in its identity and you won't really miss out on anything by RPing a conjurer instead. In my personal opinion, this is a job people should avoid unless they're specifically in a private group that has given it the go-ahead. 

For something on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Paladins, Machinists, and Blue Mages have pretty much been just giving away their job stones to anyone who wants them. There's very little in the way of any adventurer just becoming one if they wish to. It wouldn't be unbelievable in the slightest.

Most jobs fall somewhere between those two. Black magic is also highly illegal, and will literally ignite you from the inside out if you attempt it without a stone. Ninjas are quite prevalent in the East but may require certain background story details to justify a western character being one unless they're just very new at it. (Very easily doable by the way, just harder than some others imo.)

My lore on dancers is spotty, or perhaps they just don't have much lore to begin with, but I see nothing wrong with your character concept. ^_^ I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a Viera who was a dancer or conjurer. 

Welcome! As mentioned already, different jobs have different accessibility. They aren't all off-limits or even far-fetched. White mage is unfortunately pretty difficult to write off, as is black mage to a lesser degree, but other jobs are much more approachable. I recommend doing the quests for/looking into the lore of any job that interests you to see if you think it's viable for your character. I don't see anything wrong with a Viera conjurer/dancer. Though the specifics vary, the general idea of "godmodding" here is the same as anywhere else. So long as you aren't going directly against any lore, trying to outdo other characters, forcing anything upon someone or making your character insanely powerful, most people aren't going to mind whatever you RP.

The lore behind dancing is that they're part of a dancing troupe to lift the spirits of the people. Their dancing is based off an ancient form of war combat, so you could use it to defend yourself. Having a conjurer/dancer wouldn't be too OP. You could always say they got sick of one job and tried another (that's what my OC has done). But it's up to you how you wish to write it!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a prominent example of an Orphanage called Menphina’s Arms once you are near the end of the Heavensward expansion. However, there are orphanages mentioned in nearly every city—because of the Calamity and simply the fact that there are a lot of threats in the world, orphans and adoption (presumably) are relatively common. Here is a link to a great lore compilation of orphanage mentions by Sounsyy: 

https://autumnslance.tumblr.com/post/170519522743/any-lore-on-orphanage-or-something-similar

Adoption is a thing! As Kamome mentions, there are multiple instances of orphanages brought up in game, and we see characters that have been adopted (often outside their own race) like Pipin, Minfilia, and some more instances from Shadowbringers that are spoiler-y.