New player (mostly) looking for RP focused FC to quest through main storyline with.

Hi, I'm Andi. 33 years old, located on the west coast of the US and mostly active in game in the evenings after 6:30ish until 10 or 11ish.

MMORPG background: I've been pretty active in Lord of the Rings Online for the past 8 years. Dabbled in FFXIV when it relaunched back in 2013, but didn't have the time for 2 MMOs. I've also dabbled in ESO. Basically, I get sporadically bored of LOTRO and want to try something new, but my love of Tolkien often brings me back to that. When I tried FF in 2013, it was riddled with goldspammers, which made chat unbearable and I didn't continue past my free trial month at the time. A few years later I paid for another month and tried again, and was happy to see the goldspammers were much reduced, but for some reason or other, can't recall, I didn't stick around. So here we are, for attempt 3, because I want a change of scenery again and cursed covid has resulted in me spending more time at home, so I have time for 2 MMOs now. I love the single-player Final Fantasy games 7, 8, 9, and 10, so I do have some familiarity with the lore in a broader sense, but definitely need to brush up on my lore specific to Eorzea.

RP experience: Mostly in LOTRO; some in ESO. Never done it in a non-MMO setting.

Character ideas/info: Rilya Oroa. She is a Wildwood Elezen Arcanist character (probably eventual Scholar). She is based on a protagonist I'm developing in a novel I am working on. Naturally, her biography here is different since the lore of my own fantasy world is different from the lore of FF. So in a way, this is like an AU version of her, I suppose. As I said above, I still need to re-familiarize myself with the lore in the MMO to see where I can fit her. A cursory review of some places in the game/plot points has lead me to something like...

She was born and raised in Ala Mhigo (or perhaps a small village nearby) and her family and most everyone she knew was killed when the Garlean Empire invaded. She comes from a long line of Arcanists and is determined to master the craft and return to Ala Mhigo to help free it from Imperial rule. After the invasion, she escaped and fled to the Black Shroud with some other Elezen survivors and she grew up there, coming to Limsa Lominsa now in her mid-to-late 20s to join the Arcanists Guild.

Definitely open to suggestions if parts of that seem like they don't really work-- I realize Ala Mhigo is mostly Hyur, so maybe Elezen is a weird fit there, but *shrug* Nothing is set in stone with her here yet, just trying to find things that sort of parallel events in my novel so that I have a similar, even if wildly different, circumstance to explore her character in.

I do have my Mi'qote Lancer character from my initial attempts with this game and will probably dust him off at some point and look for maybe a criminal guild type scene for him. Who knows. Focusing on Rilya for now.

How did you learn about the coalition? Google searches for RP relating to Final Fantasy.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy). Medium, probably. It kind of depends with me. Some days I just want to quest and other days I want to be in full RP mode. I do tend to get antsy when RP is too confined to just chatting around a tavern type of stuff (though I enjoy that on occasion as well, just not only that) and am looking for a FC that maybe does more active questing while IC. Not interested in ERP, though romance is potentially fine if it develops organically. 

I'd be particularly interested in joining a FC that quests together with some regularity, but that isn't going to care if you don't log on every day. I am not really RPing the Warrior of Light thing so much as it's a bit god-mode for me, but I do want to work through the main quest-line mostly in character (maybe overlooking any particularly god-mode type quests if any come up) and preferably not entirely solo, so...if there are other new players or older players with new characters they are developing that might be up for forming a small group that can quest together maybe twice a week or something... I am in no rush to get to endgame content at all, so looking for other people that are up for taking their time working through the storyline IC, adjusting as necessary.

Time/Location/Availability: Currently Monday and Thursday evenings are most open; weekends vary. Again, west coast time. Currently on Coeurl since that's where my original character was, but not opposed to moving servers if there's a perfect group for me somewhere else (I actually wanted to join Mateus on this character since I was told that is one of the RP hotspots, but alas, it was closed to new characters). Rilya is headquartered in LL for the time being, so FC's based there are preferred.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting people and getting some feedback/suggestions on where Rilya might fit in.

Edited by andithael