Rilya, Apprentice Arcanist

I am new to RP in FF (and more or less new to the game overall, despite having had a few false starts in the past). I've got a character and am looking for some traveling companions, basically. Or a FC that has lower level players interested in RPing through the main questline (adjusting things as necessary on occasion, I assume).

The character is based on a character I am developing in some original fiction, so this is sort of an AU version of her. Mainly to help me work out her personality some more. So with my original fiction premise in the back of my head, I did some cursory review of places/situations in Eorzea that would allow for a semi-similar scenario for her background to what my own fantasy world entails and what I've come to at the moment is this:

My character, Rilya Oroa, is an Elezen Arcanist. She was born and raised in Ala Mhigo (or perhaps a small village nearby) and she was orphaned when her family and most everyone she knew was killed when the Garlean Empire invaded. She comes from a long line of Arcanists and is determined to master the craft and return to Ala Mhigo to help free it from Imperial rule. After the invasion, she escaped and fled to the Black Shroud with some other Elezen survivors and she grew up there, coming to Limsa Lominsa now in her mid-to-late 20s to join the Arcanists' Guild and begin her personal quest to aid in the freeing of her home. (This premise is because it looks like liberating Ala Mhigo is an eventual plot point in the main story, likely quite a ways away from my character at this time, but I might have misunderstood, so by all means, enlighten me if so. I skimmed some stuff, but didn't want to have the entire plot spoiled from the get for me since I've yet to play through).

She is reserved, thoughtful, intelligent, empathetic, and kind. She also lacks confidence, is not always honest with her feelings, and is not the most courageous person (of course, hopefully she is able to grown in some of these areas through the story, but we will see how she does). Yet she is determined to do her part to free her home and is committed to learning all she can about the arcane arts to enable her to do just that. I do consider my class/jobs as relevant when I RP, so I am focusing very much on the Arcanist/Scholar path and might pick up a craft or two, if one seems like it would make sense alongside that course. Others don't need to be concerned with Ala Mhigo, but if you have a low level character in the Limsa Lominsa area that might also have personal reasons that will move them along the main storyline axis, perhaps Rilya and them can journey together.

Play Time/Days: I am located on the west coast of the US and most often play in the evenings after 6:30pm, with Mondays, Tuesdays (possibly slightly later start), and Thursdays currently being my most regular days. Occasionally I am not up for RP and just want to do some questing, but usually IC is the preferred mode. I am not concerned with rushing to endgame. I'll get there when I get there. So ideally if I could find some people to quest with maybe once or twice a week as we slowly but surely advance the main story together, that would be ideal.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, questions, FC recommendations, etc. Hope to connect with some people in game soon! :)

Edited by andithael
adjusting Rilya's age

After further reading, I'm finding that apparently many regard incorporating the main storyline in the game as something of an RP taboo and so I do want to clarify that I don't mean RPing as the Warrior of Light, which strikes me as rather god-modey, but just following the general trajectory of it, while adjusting our IC aspects accordingly for things that are too OP for an individual to do. Hence why I initially noted that things would be adjusted as needed in the first paragraph above. I'm mostly going with the, I think, vague premise of Rilya wanting to master the arcane arts to help free Ala Mhigo, which I understand is part of the main quest eventually. That's her mission statement, effectively. How that process happens does not need to follow exactly along with the main quest, but I figured it provided a basic path to follow.

She won't be perpetually stationed in a single location for RP, I want to RP her entire journey on this quest (more or less, anyway, as I'm already playing so who knows how far I'll get before finding any RP buddies) focused around becoming a master arcanist (eventually scholar-- although tbh, even that could change through RP, who knows) and thought just sort of tagging along the main quest line would be the easiest way to do that, but I am definitely open to devising another route for our IC interactions if you want to keep the actual main quests OOC.

Edited by andithael

Hey! I don’t want to spoil anything about the Stormblood storyline for you, but as a character from Ala Mhigo, Rilya would probably be aware of a group of folk heroes who were well-known in Ala Mhigo known as the Crimson Duelists who fought against the Mad King in the interest of the common folk. They didn’t study arcanima, but because Red Mages and the study of red magic is fairly rare (especially in Limsa Lominsa) Rilya pursued the avenue that was available to her. Here is a bit of lore from the first Red Mage quest that will give you sense of the Duelists without spoiling anything in Stormblood:

0401F5D5-72EA-45BD-90B7-797AC239B5AF.png

Welcome to the game and FFXIV RP!

Edited by Kamome

ngl, there is a good chance that I might eventually pursue a Red Mage build eventually too but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. You are absolutely right, she would be aware of them though, if vaguely due to her young age. I am thinking she was only 5 or 6 when it happened.

So far my best bets seem to be hurrying along through the MSQ into Stormblood so I can have interaction with other Ala Mhigans who've all mostly played through that point in their respective stories. The MSQ has gotten a bit more OP for an RP plot line, so I'm more using the Arcanist Guild quests as her main IC questline, and then just picking and choosing which other quests are IC or not based on how reasonable they are. So though you might see me crafting around Ul'dah, IC Rilya is still located in Limsa Lominsa and has not been to Ul'dah in recent years, though she has gone before, as an assistant to her adoptive parents when they traveled tor the Goldsmiths' Guild with some regularity.

Anyway, a couple ideas for some options for RP with Rilya in her Limsa Lominsa newbie days.

1) Rilya could make friends with some other would-be Arcanists and perhaps we explore the landscape and whatnot in pursuit of opportunities to work on our skills (FATES, perhaps?); additionally, we could meet a non-Arcanist out and about who joins us for whatever reason as well. This would basically just be some questing about IC and retiring to a tavern in the evenings or something like that.

2) We could devise some sort of mystery plot afoot in all the Guilds in LL that many of the veteran Guild members don't seem to be aware of, but the new initiates are  determined to get to the bottom of it (Such a plot could also be confined to the Arcanist Guild, but in the interest of casting as wide a net as possible, why not include newbie Rogues, Marauders, Armorers, Blacksmiths, Culinarians, and Fishers?) Maybe the Guilds suddenly kick out a bunch of people for no reason and we need to figure out why and who is behind it to get back in. Something like that. I don't know.

3) I'd be interested in a mentor/mentee RP path for Rilya as well, potentially. Whether in Arcanima or if someone just wants to make sure she doesn't get herself killed and so decides to come along on her exploits to teach her how to survive life on the road.

I'm open to lots of ideas. The core of it is questing IC to some extent.