How do you handle multiple jobs?

Heya! So, in FFXIV you have the ability to switch job at any moment right? I was wondering how roleplayers usually handle that?

Do you just not ever switch jobs? Or if you do, how do you explain it?
Fairly basic question but I was curious!

Sometimes I'll switch jobs OOC in a way that doesn't reflect IC at all. Main example of that is when I see a BRD/MCH/DNC outfit I like the look of, but Lihya is not any of those. Lihya's job isn't changing in RP, but it's solely a mechanical change so I can get her to wear other stuff. As a blue mage RPer there's also the unique problem of not being able to RP in a lot of areas without aggroing everything to hell and back, due to the lower level cap. Sometimes I'll swap for that reason too. But she is a sole blue mage IC (and I guess culinarian, technically.) even after I do this, always. It's also important to note that we aren't solely restricted to the jobs FFXIV have given us. A prime example is I RP often with a person whose character specializes with a big two-handed sword. She's a dark knight OOC for that weapon, but IC she doesn't actually have any dark knight powers. She's just a regular martial fighter who happens to use a weapon like that.

Most RPers have their character specialize in a realistic number of things. You don't really see people recognizing the ability to rapidly swap between Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, Dark Knight back to back to back in a mere moment. That's treated more as a game mechanic rather than something people can actually do.

Edited by Lihya Zharipoh
12 hours ago, Rimin Megukka said:

Heya! So, in FFXIV you have the ability to switch job at any moment right? I was wondering how roleplayers usually handle that?

Do you just not ever switch jobs? Or if you do, how do you explain it?
Fairly basic question but I was curious!

I don't do any kind of switching between jobs when I RP.

The character may have multiple jobs or classes, but switching between them is purely game-mechanics.

So if my character would ICly be both an archer and a lancer, then they know how to use spears as well as bows, and ... well, that's it.

Worth noting is that what jobs/levels you have OOC have very little or nothing to do with what the character can do IC.

It's just a game mechanic, so it's totally up to you how you want to incorporate into your RP, at all. If you're planning to level every job on one character, you may want to narrow it down to a few jobs you want to use in character since a character being proficient in all of them isn't too feasible (though go for it if that's what you want to RP) and keep in mind some of the jobs are more difficult to justify IC. Otherwise, whatever classes you currently have leveled or whatever job you have equipped at the time isn't an indicator of your character's abilities unless you want it to be.