Greetings & A Question

Keen

Hey there! I'm a returning player looking to give FF14 another shot by actually taking in the story this time around and getting into the RP side of things as well! I'm a long-time RPer through forums, TTRPGs, and other MMOs but I've never really tried my hand at the world of Eorzea.

My main concern is the ability to create a new character on these very crowded RP servers. Is there any advice or methods around this restriction? I'd rather not pay up for a sub and then be unable to engage in one of the main things I returned for.

That's about it though. I'd of course love to make a few connections with folks as I re-enter 14 and approach a new setting for RP as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any answers or advice in advance!

Hello and welcome!

The restrictions concerning character creation are updated several times a day. Your best bet if you want to create a character on a world which is currently congested is to simply wait and try again in a less busy period; this typically means early in the morning or afternoon, on week days if you're able (though that's not always necessary). You'll rarely see any restriction on, say, a Wednesday morning. Just keep checking when you can, and make sure to save your character appearance in advance to speed things up!

If leveling quickly is important for you, you may want to pick a world with the Preferred status for an XP boost.
Good luck!

While making a character on the more RP-focused servers has its benefits (linkshells and free companies), it's not really required for a good RP experience anymore.

You can make use of the World Visit system to just hop over to one of the more RPer-populated servers without having to fight the character creator limits. So if your goal is RP on Balmung and Mateus, you could make a character on Goblin or somewhere else that's nice and open on the Crystal datacenter and then just visit over to RP. Between Discord and Cross-World linkshells, most of the other restrictions are all gameplay related (like FC buffs on home world only, or retainer access, etc).

Hey thanks! 

I ended up just making my character on Goblin since I wanted to get in and start playing. Surprised to find how addictive crafting and gathering has been. 

Still not really sure what kind of character I want to make. Wondering if I should just do more of the story and learn more about the world but at the same time I just wanna jump in to something.