How to Write and Be an Effective Criminal?

KingAce

So, title. 

My character has been through a lot over the past 3 years (2018-2021), since that's when I started to RP in the first place. And throughout, he's been stagnating between hero or villain to put it into simpler terms, but as of recently for the past two to one years, he's been in hero. However, due to story and creative reasons, I've decided I want him to be an antagonist, or some type of criminal, through the Yakuza Syndicate since he is an eastern character and the Yakuza has been something related to his character due to family ties. Do note though, this is really my first time actually, truly, BEING an antagonist. And I've got to say, it's kind of hard. Hard may be an over-exaggeration, so perhaps challenging? I'm not sure how to really go about stuff in-game without making my character look like he doesn't know what he's talking about, because I, the player, also don't know what I'm talking about. Sure, I could chalk it up as my character learning how to be an effective criminal ICly, but I'm also trying to learn how to write an effective criminal without looking like I don't know anything at all. 

Essentially, I'm asking every antagonist, villain, or criminal RP experts out there how can one, like myself, write and be an effective antagonist or criminal during roleplay? 

Thanks.

Expect heroes to want to be heroes and always "win" against your criminal. At least, that has always been my experience. Due to that, my criminal character(s) really don't branch out beyond a small circle of known players anymore.

Beyond all of that, it pretty much runs the same as playing a "hero character". Respect boundaries as you normally would (don't flip the coin and make your villain always "win", either, for example), make sure you're having fun, and try to write something that seems compelling to you as you would any other sort of character. With enough hooks, you'll catch the fish you (hopefully) want and RP will happen.

The biggest thing I can say, is 100% OOC communication.

OOC'ly talk about expectations, story beats, resolutions, etc etc etc.  You don't have to go into every single detail, and plan out every action.  But just talk about how you want the general flow of things to go. 

Hmm, I'm not really entirely sure what you mean per your character sounding like he doesn't know what he's talking about, though that seems to be the primary question here. The best I can say is to keep it simple and write what you know. I'm not saying don't step out of your comfort zone, just start with baby steps. RP is always going to be ad-libbing and making up things on the fly to some degree, so it's okay to feel a bit uncertain and maybe have some hiccups along the way. Your RP partner should understand, especially if you talk it through with them. Otherwise for antagonist characters, I think the most important thing to do to find a some of direction is just nail down how and why your character is an antagonist. A lot of RPers just focus on being an antagonist above all else and end up with characters that run the gamut of "evil" all the way from petty crime and schoolyard style bullying to genocide and Voidsent-summoning and human trafficking, all often for little discernable motivation beyond a somewhat meta "because it's evil."

Beyond that, I think the others have given great advice. For any kind of conflict-focused RP, you really want to communicate with the other player(s) OOC and be on the same page. It's best to keep your character's more villainous nature on the downlow IC and even OOC (unfortunately metagaming against "baddies" is not uncommon) if you don't want would-be heroes hassling your character all the time. Of course, be willing to play fair and try to find other writers who want to do the same. It's a give and take and shouldn't be one side winning the whole time. I keep my character's more antagonistic aspects to writers I know and trust because it can be very difficult to write with others, but if you can be more open and still have a fun time that's very awesome and worth it!

Edited by Faye