A Random User Makes Himself Known!

RandomUser

Greetings people who would read this, and thank you for taking the time to do so. I am Random User. I suppose I should introduce myself better than that, though

MMORPG background

My MMORPG experience started 5ish years ago, when I first played Albion Online. I didn't last long there however and quickly moved on. I spent my free time whenever I was bored looking into MMORPGs I could play, slowly finding one after another that looked interesting, such as Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine (Or ReImagine, when I played it), Black Desert Online, Bless Unleashed, DC Universe Online. These I played on and off throughout the 5 years. I did along the way find out about Final Fantasy XIV and tried it out, but quickly left because I was grossly unaware of the fact that the free trial didn't have a time limit and was worried of putting too much effort into something I'd inevitably ignore. I spent the most time playing SMT: Imagine, and up until about 2 months ago, that was my main focus. Queue me rediscovering FFXIV and giving it another go, armed with my new knowledge of the lack of a time limit on the free trial. I got hooked almost immediately and within a week of me starting the free trial I bought the actual game. A week later and I had bought Shadowbringers (Not long before it went on sale, lucky me). Since then I've been thoroughly enjoying my time on the game.

RP experience

My memory's a little hazy on exactly when, but I must have started roleplaying nearly 7 years ago. I've spent a lot of the time not playing games (Including MMORPGS) investing into roleplay. I usually focused on text-based roleplay, which involved detailed descriptions of characters, what they did, and how they did it. Since trying out roleplaying in MMORPGS, I've been hooked on the extra freedom that can come with the 3D space. My favourite part of literature and roleplaying in general was the 'show, not tell' idea, which is made easier with games. I've found the lack of needing to describe a space and instead letting the area do the describing for you to be almost relaxing. Recently my text-based roleplay has hit a roadblock, and I hope that expanding further into FFXIV roleplay can fix that for me.

Character ideas/info

I have so many ideas already filling my mind, including a lot of the stereotypes and such. I would describe them here but I'm worried that with them currently jumbled up in my head, I'd spew out some mixture of ideas that wouldn't work well with each other

How did you learn about the coalition?

Google! I simply searched 'FFXIV Roleplaying Community' and found this website.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

Probably medium/heavy, with a bigger lean on medium roleplay. I expect that as my experience in FFXIV roleplay grows I'll slowly start leaning further towards the heavy side.

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

I'm currently studying Engineering. My hobbies include programming, video games, reading, some writing and roleplay.

Welcome Random User! 

I totally hear you about having a bunch of ideas for characters. There are just so many options-- it's hard to pick just one! Especially since in FFXIV you can just max out everything. 

Hope you have a great stay! 

Hey hey there Random!
Welcome back and proper to the wonderful world of FFXIV and it's dedicated roleplayers.
Glad you decided to take a chance on the game again and see what it truly has to offer for nerds like us.

Like I've sad before and I'll say it every time because it just makes me so giddy to see. I love seeing more and more roleplay veterans from the classic text-rp era.
Makes me feel less and less alone in this community, lol. Not but seriously I love seeing more people transfer over from the days of describing every miniscule details for effect to the absolute freedom of MMO RP. Can say what your experiencing is definitely a similar feeling I had stepping into the wide open range of roleplaying in MMOs almost two years ago now.

Going from having to mentally visualize every facet of a scene via text to now being able to use housing, emotes, and so much more as a writing tool is liberating as all hell and it just brings so much more dynamics to a roleplay without having to strain yourself and take an hour or more to do so.

Also I feel you on that on again, off again interest in the game. I came over from being just a regular RPG player and didn't really put much stock into MMOs for many years. FFXI and FFXIV included as time went on. I had to dabble a few times and even get my now husband to drag me back in to really be able to sit down and take a long look at the sheer enjoyable scope of the game. And honestly since then I've never looked back. This game has made me feel more like myself mentally, emotionally, and creatively and I couldn't be happier for it.

So I hope you've had a similar growth of fondness for the game in a way that is unique to you and that it's been nothing but a blast for you the whole way through.
Should you ever be looking for more remember we have an awesome community in the game and here especially where you can just reach out and ask for anything.
Cheers to you being here and to a long and happy relationship with the game and it's people. 🎉