Clan mixing?

As for inter-breeding between the two different clans within a species, it should be completely biologically viable.  Only social stigma and cultural bias would make it unlikely.  Even these would make it so that inter-breeding is uncommon rather than extremely rare, depending on the species.  Miqo'te I would expect to have very little inter-breeding because their mating structures are very different, and they are diurnal versus nocturnal.  The other races like Hyur and Lalafell probably interact regularly within their two clans.

I agree with most of what you have said. Where I differ is mostly on the last sentence of your post. One of the most significant factors dividing the clans of each race is distance. Our characters are exceptional and travel the world, seeing things that most people would never even consider. While Hyur would probably be the most likely to interbreed simply due to the fact that there are Midlanders in Ul'dah, where the majority of Eorzean Highlanders reside, this would not be true of the Lalafell. The Lalafell of Ul'dah have adapted to their environment over an extended period of time as evidenced with their eyes.

Again, interclan breeding is certainly possible but physical location on the planet's surface is probably going to be a bigger deterrent to this than even social and/or religious views. I am not opposed to "mixed" characters in any way, I simply expect a good character background. Of course, I expect good character backgrounds out of everyone. :D

Some could say thats an easy and/or lazy explanation, but the most simple one is just the adventuring lifestyle.

Someone already stated adventurers are an exceptional lot, when i travel around with my Keeper of the moon, he will meet Seekers of the Sun on whatever time of the day, for whatever reason. Also location will be no issue, my keeper will hail from Gridania and the Shroud (like most keepers lorewise), but he could travel to Ul'dah or LimLom for whatever reason like other class-guilds.

Of course not everyone will RP adventurers, but those who do will have it easy with explanations, be it for their own characters or the backstory of their characdter by saying one or both of their parents were adventurers.

• 2 weeks later...

Few things here:

Race is being used here for Species- if we are calling the different 'character types' "Races" and lore supports this, then the progeny would be sexually viable. Race is simply based on physical appearance more than genetic- aka Africans, Asians, Caucasians, Latinos, Native Americans, etc. Mix those up, who cares? Children can still reproduce.

Species are genetically different- and would produce sterile progeny- or no progeny at all. Tigers can't reproduce with goats. But a tiger and a lion- though they might have the same genetic Family, Phyla, etc down to Genus, but except, Species... might produce a kitten, but it WOULD be sterile. So... if it comes out that a Hyur/Miqo pairing CAN produce a half-breed that is not sterile per lore, then we know for certain that we're talking Race, not Species.

Now... will a Keeper/Seeker pairing produce viable young? I don't see why they shouldn't. Yes, there are physical differences, but not the core genetic. Here, I think we're talking more along the lines of Breeds vs Species. Rather like a tabby and a persian having a kitten or something. This would likewise go along the same lines as a Mid/High, Wild/Dusk, Dune/Plains.

Another great discussion going on re: Miqo'te (overall) is Calli's biological focused one, Isis. It started off from a very biological focus but has expanded to several different discussions as well- including social and cultural aspects.Calli's Thread

Ok... so that said, i have a similar, but different question...

How would intertribal mixing work among Miqo'te?

What I mean is:

A Viper clan mating with a Wolf clan. What would tribal identity... might the child have? Granted, this would likely be an outcast...

Unless some Clan has a tradition of "adding certain qualities to the gene pool" by incorporating females from other tribes into their tribe.

Now... if you go from a purely anthropological view and compare the Seekers to a patrilineal line, I'd say that any intertribal mixing would produce children that carry the traditionally accepted "line".

That is:

If a Condor Nuhn produces a child with a Viper female, the child would be Condor.

What are your thoughts?