Clan mixing?

I've been using this morning as an opportunity to create Yaein Mayweather's parents in FFXIV. I was wondering if mixing a Midlander and a Highlander goes against lore? I don't see why it should, but I do know that there really isn't a "half" anything in this game, so I just wanted to be sure.

I've been using this morning as an opportunity to create Yaein Mayweather's parents in FFXIV. I was wondering if mixing a Midlander and a Highlander goes against lore? I don't see why it should, but I do know that there really isn't a "half" anything in this game, so I just wanted to be sure.

I don't see why it would go against lore, they're both Hyur after all.

And even if they weren't both Hyur, SE has already confirmed that races can cross breed. We just haven't seen any notable examples within the game's lore/plot line yet.

There aren't any half breeds (to my knowledge) I believe because the mechanics don't allow it, though I don't see why that should stop you from roleplaying as one regardless!

I plan to have Ashren be of mixed parentage, but mainly because the society of the Keepers suits my ideas more than the Seepers, but the customization options for the Seekers (skintone primarily, but also the slitted eyes) fits his appearance more. So I planned to have his father be a Seeker and his mother a Keeper, though he was raised by his mother and never met his father.

Figured I'd cite my sources.

Can different races crossbreed? 

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

Just to chime in that you aren't alone on this, Zarek actually is a 'mixed heritage hyur' (props to Mara for coining that one LOL). Gospel also confirmed that it was lore okay during my barrage of questions for him. 8-)

For what it's worth, I'm going (ingame) with a max height midlander, rp'ing him as just above the midlander height (on the chart posted elsewhere on the forum).

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32685-Questions-related-to-Lore?p=490835&viewfull=1#post490835

This is in reference to races, not clans within the races. It sounds to me as if they've almost gone the direction of Star Wars. In Star Wars, half-breeds are so exceedingly rare that one might as well consider it impossible. Even cross breeding between humans and demihumans is only mentioned a couple of times. And then usually with some odd and unwanted side effects. But again, this is between races. Let's say we have two humans, one from Coruscant (Midlander), and one from Corellia (Highlander). As they are both actual humans, just from different regions of the galaxy, they would have absolutely no trouble at all having children. There are multitudes of examples of this taking place.

The only barriers you have to creating a character that is half Midlander and half Highlander are regional and cultural. If you can explain in your background why two humans who don't live in the same region and who have vastly different life views have found each other and can actually stand each other enough to have a child (or a far, far less happy scenario...) then there's no reason at all that this could not come to pass. They would have no more trouble than two Midlanders or two Highlanders.

I would imagine that clan-mixing is quite common, at least moreso than species-mixing (which is still confirmed to exist, but probably isn't super common). Don't worry about it!

(FTR, Adelpha is mixed midlander/highlander too, so you're not alone.)

Well that's the thing about mixing. In game we don't have any blatant "mixed" NPCs, so it's always seemed to me that if it happens, the child will look more like one parent or the other in terms of clan/race attributes. :) The cultural barriers would be the big ones separating the clans as much as the races. Keepers are nocturnal, Seekers are diurnal, for example, not to mention the different hierarchy in their tribes. Things like that.

Not to say that love doesn't conquer all though. :love:

Well that's the thing about mixing. In game we don't have any blatant "mixed" NPCs, so it's always seemed to me that if it happens, the child will look more like one parent or the other in terms of clan/race attributes. :) The cultural barriers would be the big ones separating the clans as much as the races. Keepers are nocturnal, Seekers are diurnal, for example, not to mention the different hierarchy in their tribes. Things like that.

Not to say that love doesn't conquer all though. :love:

Heck with love. I just hate the dunesfolk naming convention but like the goatee and eyes and I couldn't think of a good reason that Lalafell wouldn't interbreed once they were in a city. 

:tonberry:

Ooooh, I didn't know races could crossbreed. That is really interesting. 

I didn't realize so many would be going the same route I was with having parents from different clans. But yeah, I don't think there is any reason that clans cannot mix. Think of the clans like the different human races. We are all the same, just have different physical traits because of where our ancestors decided to stay on their migratory path around the world.

As a real-world biologist, my guess would be that inter-racial breeding would be like the typical hybridization you see in the real world examples of tigons, ligers, mules, etc.  In all likelihood, an inter-racial hybrid would be sterile.  The potential parents of such a creature, or at least the mother, would likely consider this when it comes to producing children and abstain from inter-racial breeding.

As for inter-breeding between the two different clans within a species, it should be completely biologically viable.  Only social stigma and cultural bias would make it unlikely.  Even these would make it so that inter-breeding is uncommon rather than extremely rare, depending on the species.  Miqo'te I would expect to have very little inter-breeding because their mating structures are very different, and they are diurnal versus nocturnal.  The other races like Hyur and Lalafell probably interact regularly within their two clans.

As a real-world biologist, my guess would be that inter-racial breeding would be like the typical hybridization you see in the real world examples of tigons, ligers, mules, etc.  In all likelihood, an inter-racial hybrid would be sterile.  The potential parents of such a creature, or at least the mother, would likely consider this when it comes to producing children and abstain from inter-racial breeding.

As for inter-breeding between the two different clans within a species, it should be completely biologically viable.  Only social stigma and cultural bias would make it unlikely.  Even these would make it so that inter-breeding is uncommon rather than extremely rare, depending on the species.  Miqo'te I would expect to have very little inter-breeding because their mating structures are very different, and they are diurnal versus nocturnal.  The other races like Hyur and Lalafell probably interact regularly within their two clans.

I fully agree with you from a real world stand point and its generally my stand as well however I would point you to this thread on Miqo'te Culture as we are covering the same kinda discussion there as well although a little more focused on just the Miqo'te.  There have been suggestions from posters that because its a fantasy setting that we should not take real world genetics as the sole driving force of the mating, given the innately magical nature of the world.

Its interesting to see two threads converging like this although I guess with the topics at hand its not surprising.

I fully agree with you from a real world stand point and its generally my stand as well however I would point you to this thread on Miqo'te Culture as we are covering the same kinda discussion there as well although a little more focused on just the Miqo'te.  There have been suggestions from posters that because its a fantasy setting that we should not take real world genetics as the sole driving force of the mating, given the innately magical nature of the world.

Its interesting to see two threads converging like this although I guess with the topics at hand its not surprising.

Aye, as I said in that thread, while in the real world we would expect something else to happen, we should definitely go by what we see in the NPCs/given lore instead. :)

I have to say I was thinking this for my Elezen since I wanted someone that liked a solitary life yet was friendly and often around cities. Admittedly I realized I was trying to use a bazooka to kill a squirrel. I really doubt the personalities are that rigid in the societies but I still might do it because my friend is making a duskwight.

Thank you for the link! And really doubt this is far fetched since love and lust conquer most social stigmas. Specially seeing as it is only a clan mixing.

I do believe I will still press on with my Seeker, my partner has created a Keeper. After reading several threads and participating in such discussions I have come to the conclusion that while they may be exiled by their clans and those who uphold the tribal ways of the Miqo'te, not many other races will even care.

Besides whats roleplay without a little conflict, eh?

Newb Question: Where can I find out more on the Miqo'te aside from the wiki page. Im trying to understand the differences in the tribes hierarchy. Like who would have a Matriarch of sorts etc etc

I do believe I will still press on with my Seeker, my partner has created a Keeper. After reading several threads and participating in such discussions I have come to the conclusion that while they may be exiled by their clans and those who uphold the tribal ways of the Miqo'te, not many other races will even care.

Besides whats roleplay without a little conflict, eh?

Newb Question: Where can I find out more on the Miqo'te aside from the wiki page. Im trying to understand the differences in the tribes hierarchy. Like who would have a Matriarch of sorts etc etc

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo%27te/Naming

That's about as much info as we'll get for now.

SE has stated that they will explore the topic of love and relationships outside of ones clan and race in future quests and events. That will hopefully include more detailed information about how Miqo'te clans function, though I hear there's much to be had in-game already, if you look in the right places.

Im more looking for their hierarchy, would be nice if there was more information on this. But alas I shall wait patiently.

I know it's Keepers of the Moon who have a far more strict gender stratification, with a matriarch of the clan and everything. But I don't really know the details of it.